2017 with flatbed installed, blinker question

1BD9D7

Reaction score
We just picked up dads 17 F350 DRW today and it should be great but there is a strange problem. A shop installed a Bradford flatbed on it immediately after it came in, before we ever drove the truck, and something is a bit strange about the blinkers. There are led lights in the Bradford flatbed just to be clear. When you turn on a blinker, the tick tock sound in the truck goes really fast as if there's a bad bulb or something BUT the actual blinkers are flashing at the correct speed. I turned off the blinker and turned on the flashers, and the tick tock sound is normal pace (and the lights flash normal pace too). I'm not sure if any thing is wrong or not but it sure is annoying when using the blinkers listening to the rapid noise...

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
When we had our '17 F350 C&C outfitted with the bed and lift gate, I insisted that LEDs were installed. They mentioned that they had to use resistors to get around the lamp outage indicator. What you are describing sounds slightly different than what I would expect, but might still be along the same lines. You should also be able to turn off the lamp outage indicator with either IDS or Forscan.

sootie

Reaction score
2017 chassis have no option in IDS to turn rapid flash off. Resistors are required to run LEDs on them.

1BD9D7

Reaction score
I found it really strange that the sound goes fast but the actual lights blink at the right speed. I have heard of using resistors when adding led taillights to cars that did not come with them but I have not done it

BOSS450

Reaction score
The rapid blink is to tell the driver it's out. The sound is on a speaker not the actual old style blinker. So no point in a computer telling both to blink fast when the only reason for it to blink fast is to tell the driver.

rockbronco

Reaction score
Did this truck originally have a bed option or was it a cab and chassis spec? If it originally had a box on it and then taken off for a flatbed you will need an additional harness for the taillights. There is an SSM on this currently.

On the cab and chassis trucks we have installed utility bodies on with LED lighting and have had no issues whatsoever. No need to program with ids and have normal flash rates.

SSM 46329 - 2017 F-Super Duty - Pickup Only - Loss Of MS-CAN Communication And/Or Other Various Symptoms Due To Upfitter Pickup Box Removal
Some 2017 F-Super Duty vehicles where the pickup box has been removed due to amodification, may exhibit various symptoms due to loss of communication on the medium speed controller area network (MS-CAN). Additional symptoms such as climate control system inoperative, front control interface module (FCIM) controls inoperative and/or the headlamps remaining on at all times may also be present. This may be due to C408 being disconnected and interrupting the MS-CAN network when the pickup box was removed. To repair, install jumper harness part #HC3Z-13A409-J into C408, located at the RH rear of the frame. This repair is required as part of the modification(s) and considered non-warrantable.

1BD9D7

Reaction score
Regular F350 it had a bed originally. What does SSM mean? Like eventually we should get the harness free or what?

rockbronco

Reaction score
SSM is Special service message. Its a message issued by FOMOCO for informational purposes only. It does not mean it will be covered under warranty.

Refer to the ford body builder website, they have a couple bulletins posted there for box removal.

This one specifically refers to the fast blink rate with LEDs. Check you build date and see if it lines up with this one.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q-261.pdf

Various Can network faults with box removal
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q-264.pdf

BLIS equipt trucks with box removal
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q-265.pdf

Last edited:

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
I know everything we've installed bodies on in the past has needed resistors to run LED's. My 2016 with the Stahl body actually has resistors built into the lights. I found that one out the hard way when I tried to replace one, had to order a replacement from Stahl to get the blinker to work right.

sootie

Reaction score
I know everything we've installed bodies on in the past has needed resistors to run LED's. My 2016 with the Stahl body actually has resistors built into the lights. I found that one out the hard way when I tried to replace one, had to order a replacement from Stahl to get the blinker to work right.

IDS or FORScan can turn rapid flash off on 16s. no need for resistors...

eastern

Reaction score
Got mine back with a reading body and same issue as OP. Reading did everything in there power to correct the fast flashing. No fix. I learned to live with it.

1BD9D7

Reaction score
We have an appointment on Wednesday at the dealer it came from. Hope they take care of it with IDS like it says on the SSM rockbronco posted. I will post and let you all know how it goes.

F

Floorboard79

when i changed the setting in forscan to keep brights on with fog lamps i inadvertently changed my system to led settings and got a hyper flash on the interior only. its all documented in the thread on FTE, might be worth a shot to make that change alone

1BD9D7

Reaction score
I do not know what they had to change at the dealer, but it's fixed now. Definitely worth taking it back to get rid of the rapid flash.

Latest posts

Members online