4R100 rebuild gone wrong

wackercattle

Reaction score
My son had a guy working out of his garage rebuild his 4R100 in his 200 f250 7.3. The guy replaced all the clutch packs, steels, a spring (it was a pink spring he put in a blue), and the front pump.
When he installed the tranny, it is hard to get to shift from 1-2 or 2-3, and when it does shift, it "binds" badly both from 1-2 and 3-4.
Could this be the different color spring? Clutches too tight (he had trouble getting them all in)? A check ball in the wrong position? (he wasn't using a manual)
We are not sure if we want him to try to "make it right" as he is clueless to what is happening.
I rebuild 4l60e's, but wasn't comfortable taking on a 4R100- hell I probably could have done a better job!
TIA :doh:

TurboM700

Reaction score
I first thought he was saying lever was hard to shift but now i'm thinking the actually shifts them self.

If the clutches are not set to spec you could get binding or shift flare. Otherwise the 4r100 is a simple transmission its either turn off/on ONE solenoid to make a shift.

Reaction score
It's possible the clearances are too tight in the drums if he had trouble getting all the clutches in. Did he use any feeler gauges or just slap it together? If you want to tear it apart yourself order an atsg book off Amazon. It's like $30. Will tell you everything you need to know. It's a very detailed book.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Omg, really? Did the guy charge him to do it? Who builds a trans without a manual and is ok with " the clutches being hard to get in"??? It's probably a clutch pack that can't release.

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
My guess is he got a kit that came with some extra clutches/steels but didn't remove the thicker plate and just added the extras, possibly in the forward drum. I'd tear it down, if you can do a 4l60e you can do a 4r100 no problem...

MA-n-GA

Reaction score
If you can do 4l60/4l80E you will be able to the 4r100..

Just like any auto trans, have to check clearances in drums after clutches & steels are in place. Like mentioned above builder didn't replace pressure plate with thinner one, or selective snap ring to get proper clearances.

Schluchtenflitzer

Reaction score
I am jumping in. I am in rebuilt a 4R100 and can't find where I can buy the selective snap rings. I am from Germany, so I would love to buy a complete set Instead of ship many times just one. Hope someone can help

Shaggy

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I am jumping in. I am in rebuilt a 4R100 and can't find where I can buy the selective snap rings. I am from Germany, so I would love to buy a complete set Instead of ship many times just one. Hope someone can help

Just so you know, this thread is over 7 years old. You will probably get some help but just know, that this thread is old.

Latest posts

Members online