7.3 is getting some love

97cherokee

Reaction score
Don’t waste a lot of time with that D66 turbo. At the time that came out there wasn’t a lot available so we did what we could. It was reported to have the same exact problems you are reporting. Over and over folks were fighting high EGT.
Time has moved on and the SXE Series and the KC drop in turbos came along.
I would do all the health checks and then move into a 364.5 or even a 363 or a KC . Just skip the D66.

I am I have a kc300sxe 63/68otw along with a bunch of other items. new intercooler,piping, intake y, fuel system, up pipes, cnc stg1 hpop and new motorcraft ipr valve.

Addicted4

Reaction score
I suggested 364.5, it would have been cheaper than intercooler, piping and the KC overall. My truck is similar 02 cclb 35’s and 3.73 250/80 stock turbo regulated return gear head tuning on a ts chip 331k miles and tows great but I’ll either gear it or drop tire size cause empty is perfect but lugs in overdrive at 55-60.

97cherokee

Reaction score
I had ordered the turbo and other stuff i think earlier this weekend. the intercooler and piping I am just doing because of age, etc and dont want too have too worry about it leaking at some point if it's not already.

Addicted4

Reaction score
Is the truck a dd or just a tow rig? I would advocate for 4.30 gears and 35’s if towing that weight at 70mph should put you at around 2050-2100 rpms

97cherokee

Reaction score
Your Speedo is off if you think your at 70mph at 2k rpm should be around 1800 rpms

yeah at 2k its running closer to 75 or 78 mph according too gps and the truck is a dd/towrig. i feel that the truck will cruise down the highway with the proper injectors,turbo and everything else working fine at 65-70 which is about as fast as i go towing, pulling the mountains and such i dont mind dropping down too 55mph and down too 3rd gear. unloaded i cruise at around 80 or so on the highway.

dmd

Reaction score
Mine gets into the power above 2k rpm. Below that it will start getting the EGT up
when working/climbing, so in that case I just slow down and drop to 3rd and then
bring it back up to 63 or so mph and let it pull. This is pulling a 8000lb TT with tow
tune. Many times the tow tune will drop a gear by itself so then I will lock it OD.

Addicted4

Reaction score
Hybrids with a 80% nozzle makes a world of difference IMO. Not trying to preach but it’s what I personally run and recommend for friends trucks as well with a dd/tow rig. More power at a lower egt.

I would love to see what 160/0, 160/30, 205/30, 238/80, 250/200 make for power in a TOW TUNE!!!

97cherokee

Reaction score
well this weekend i got my new water pump, fan clutch, radiator, csf 6029 intercooler ( it is a bit bigger than factory and better built) new condensor, new compressor, orfice, accumulator and repalced the worn out steering box with a red head done.

next weekend i plan too install my mishimoto intercooler pipes, full force up pipes, the kc turbo and the cnc fab hpop and motorcrat ipr valve and see how it does. only thing left after that is installing all new parking brake cables, replacing the booster and master cylinder and installing the irate fuel system.

this truck is soo much easier and less frustrating too work on than my 6.7 was lol