92 7.3 turbo... Injector or pump issue?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
My asst super/carpenter has a 92 7.3. Smokes like hell when he starts it in the morning. He says it goes away once its warm but every time I have seen it it has always had a bit of smoke.

Dont know dick about those trucks... Injection pump or injectors?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Pump could need adjustment. Ive heard its.hard to.get.those to not be smoky since.the pump is opened up a bit to allow better power when under boost. So when not making boost theres a little extra fuel.

If its.smoking thaaaat bad the motor could be getting low compression.

jdc753

Reaction score
If it is only smoking bad on start up, I wonder if it could be an injector that is just leaking down over night. I can't really remember how to check individual injectors for such. Typical problem with this trucks is o-rings and return line parts for injectors ($100 kit) causing air. Injectors are basically a pop off simplistic setup.

Off guess, but could it be glow plugs? They are common to go out in IDI's simply causing unburnt fuel until the cylinders warm up? Could OHM the plugs to see if the are good/bad.

Last edited:

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
usually the injectors need rebuilt because the pop off pressure gets too low. you can advance the injection timing 2-3 degrees and it makes for a much better truck.
fwiw the injectors are usually only about $40 each

Dieselboy

Reaction score
Bump the timing up a couple degrees and add 1 flat of fuel to it or replace the pump. You can check the timing advace in the pump and the high idle solenoid too. My truck used to smoke when cold if I didn't tap the throttle to kick the high idle on.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.