Air Bags on Lifted Ex?

lx_2nv

Reaction score
So - I finally towed my 24' (about 10K) trailer for the first time with my lifted Ex. What a white knuckle ride. I know for one I need to get a longer shank so I can use my weight dis. hitch, and the trailer not being level had something to do with it. The other issue is that the rear squatted about 3" with the weight. So - I was thinking of throwing airbag on there and that will help a lot. My question is - with the truck already lifted (bout 4") will I need a special airbag? Anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!

JDub

Reaction score
You'd still purchase the standard airbag kit for the Ex, but depending on the lift, the mfg should offer a spacer puck in the height you'd need to make up the gap between the axle and frame rail.

Zmann

Reaction score
if you go with inboard bags u will need a spacer ( bags sit inside near the leaf spring and mount to the axle )

if you go with outboard bags and u have a lift block with OEM springs u will need nothing ( bags mount to frame and leaf spring )

if it's a spring lift and u go with outboard bags u will need a puck or a modification of some sort ( see my 8 inch lift bags with custom mount and a Daystar cradle ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4QBG3izhyA

outboard bags are better anyway they control sway a little better and the system is stronger IMHO

Attachments

• P6200475.JPG
    P6200475.JPG
    617.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

NEVRNF

Reaction score
If you are still running the stock springs you might want to do the F350 spring upgrade. It will improve the ride and the load capacity. I second the air bags. I have custom mounts on my Ex with the rolling sleve type of bag. It rides much better than the standard style bag and it mounted outside of the frame rail on top of the spring.

lx_2nv

Reaction score
Thanks guys! How big of a PITA is it to intall these? They don't seem bad, as I have done the entire suspension on my Mustang.

Zmann

Reaction score
couple of hours depending on if u get a compressor or not

look for no drill kits

fordman2121

Reaction score
Ive got an added spring plus the lift blocks on ours. It does squat down but I put a set of ladder bars on and those made a HUGE difference towing. Pulled a lot straighter, didn't wonder like before and I swear they made the ex ride better with and without the trailer. I do want to take out the extra spring and put bags on but I only with it a handful of times a year.

lx_2nv

Reaction score
Thanks everyone - looking forward to trying the bags out. I have a ton of tools, so shouldn't be a problem. Also - looks like they just put blocks on it to lift?
CAM00291_zps1e8809a8.jpg

CAM00292_zps1421ef34.jpg

Zmann

Reaction score
Firestone and Airlift

I have had both and I think they are equals
so look for a No Drill kit in either brand
Amazon has some good deals

also check your bottom blocks they look a little cockeyed

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
Do modded B codes, will ride better and tow much better then as stated use air bags if needed with the daystar cup.

lx_2nv

Reaction score
Firestone and Airlift

I have had both and I think they are equals
so look for a No Drill kit in either brand
Amazon has some good deals

also check your bottom blocks they look a little cockeyed

I literally shook my head when I saw them. LOL!!

Latest posts

Members online