Anybody strip HPOP bolts?

DZL JIM

Reaction score
I guess I've had mine in and out too many times.
I now have 2 bolts stripped, one holding the HPOP on and 1 holding the HPOil res.

I was going to look for helicoil, but thought I'd ask if there's something 'better' to use?

And I don't need to be told to get a new front cover, that is not an option right now.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks.

Tom S

Reaction score
I recall these getting quite a bit of discussion as well. http://www.timesert.com/

What are the specific advantages of TIME-SERT over Helicoil or coil style inserts?
TIME-SERT® is a thin wall, solid bushing, self locking insert with positive placement.

TIME-SERT® inserts are a thin wall solid bushing insert. This guarantees easy installation and allows for full load use of tapped hole, ensuring protection against stress and vibration.
TIME-SERT® inserts are "timed" internal to external which gives a very thin wall thickness which means TIME-SERTs can be installed in areas of limited space and clearance.
TIME-SERT® being a solid bushing insert gives it added strength, easily withstands high temperatures without damage or deforming. TIME-SERT® inserts have no prongs or tangs to break off or deal with down in the hole, which can be a problem in deep holes.

TIME-SERT® inserts are self-locking having an actual locking feature which will prevent them from coming out when a bolt is removed. On installation the bottom few internal threads of the insert are cold rolled to expand into the mating external threads of the base material locking the insert in place.

TIME-SERT® inserts have a flange, which will give them a positive placement on installation for “accurate specific depths”. This ensures that the insert does not wind down into the threaded hole.
Thin wall, self locking , solid bushing insert with positive placement .

Customers have asked if they may also use Loctite® adhesives for additional strength. Yes you may due to the solid wall design. There is no danger of loctite passing thru the threads of the insert and locking up the bolt as in coil types. Time-Sert inserts are used in Aluminum, cast iron, steels and even some hard plastics. MADE IN THE USA

TARM

Reaction score
On my stealth dual hpop I had one that was stripped out in the past. Gary installed a helicoil. It was not that uncommon as I understand it from people over tq or just worn out. I have had no issue installing and tq it down to proper spec with the helicoil

Tom S

Reaction score
I am surprised I did not strip mine. I broke a socket on that the first time I swapped it out.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
I always follow torque specs with that stuff.
It got to the point they just won't tighten any more.

I ordered a re-coil kit from Fastenal.
Thanks all.

Jarrod B

Reaction score
the front cover is stripped. the pump itself is fine.....which also has been repaired by joey. one of the ports stripped from me removing it so many times and poped a line.

cowboy_dan

Reaction score
Aircraft engines use inserts and helicoils on threaded holes that will have a lot of threaded fastener installation & removal over the life of the Aluminum or Magnesium part. Seems to work pretty well.

Latest posts

Members online