Ball joints.

JohnT24

Reaction score
Never did them (on anything)
It looks pretty straightforward just a little time consuming.

I have a few questions,

Anyone have a suggestion for an affordable press/tool kit. ?

And also
When you press them out
And install the new ones
Do you reuse the tapered shims?

Mine are stock/1995
They are pretty rusty so I’m not sure if I could distinguish what angle or degree shim is in there.

Any tips would be appreciated.
Not doing this right away but just thinking ahead.

d2999a037a5ffa740994b8e8ddabd8a9.jpg

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I've never had the shims move.

But most auto store places rent the ball joint tool/kit. Check with them cause I know for me it takes 2 different high dollar kits to make the right combo to press/pull joints.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Looks like that rust may be rust jacking the sleeve. Maybe etch 2 lines to make sure it gets out back in proper angle then pop it out.

For balls joints you need bigg mf impact, air hammer, and hand sledge basically.

Racer71

Reaction score
I have several different ball joint press kits, I have to combine parts from them occasionally but the standard one with the clamp, three round adapters and two mandrels typically does the trick. Harbor freight sells the identical version of my otc one pretty cheap but I can’t attest to how good the metal is. My OTC one is at least 25 years old.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I use the snap on ball joint press. Unfortunately by no means affordable for a 1 time thing, but the only time I need additional stuff is for 550s. 250/350 it has all the cups you’ll need. And like was said, make sure you have a good impact, and as rusty as that looks, you’ll probably need a bfh and a ton of pb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsberman94

Reaction score
Advance auto will rent you the tool but you have to get a short piece of pipe because the ball joints are too big. There’s lots of stuff about it on the inter webs through a google search. Otherwise you can buy both of the ball joint press sets from harbor freight. You need the one with the press and then you also have to buy the kit with more pieces to get the right size stuff.

JohnT24

Reaction score
Okay harbor freight sounds like the ticket.

What about those caster/camber shims?

Just reuse them or figure out the size and replace them?

joebuck

Reaction score
Ya in the past I’ve rented the ball joint press tool from autozone and then I bought the harbor freight cup set so now I have them for other things around the shop they come in handy even on a regular press.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Okay harbor freight sounds like the ticket.

What about those caster/camber shims?

Just reuse them or figure out the size and replace them?
I have always reused them. Seen them crack, but as long as they don't crumble into little pieces they are fine to use.

If the alignment is off when you are done those will be replaced by the alignment shop anyway.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Last time I did those on a 7.3 I split a 1/2" socket and sheared a 3' 1/2" breaker bar.

But good luck, lol

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Last time I did those on a 7.3 I split a 1/2" socket and sheared a 3' 1/2" breaker bar.

But good luck, lol

You have to know when to put tension on and then bang the area with a hammer.

Especially when doing u joints. My high torque 1/2 gun will dead stop when pressing a joint. Then I hit the area with a hand sledge and you'd sware a shot gun went off and just like that either the part moves or now you can hit it more with the impact.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Then I hit the area with a hand sledge and you'd sware a shot gun went off
I pull the socket off and hit right on the end of the tool. Does the same thing, doesn't mark up your axle housing.

ToMang07

Reaction score
You have to know when to put tension on and then bang the area with a hammer.

Especially when doing u joints. My high torque 1/2 gun will dead stop when pressing a joint. Then I hit the area with a hand sledge and you'd sware a shot gun went off and just like that either the part moves or now you can hit it more with the impact.
Trust me.... there was plenty of banging, and heat. I STILL don't have a proper acetylene torch tho..... really need to invest in one.

About to do struts and ball joints on my car.... should be much easier than the truck was, lol