Bio diesel and the 7.3

psdguy95

Reaction score
The gas station where I buy my fuel just switched over to selling bio diesel. It says it containes 6%-20% bio diesel. Can my obs run on this stuff? Also can I still run my additive in it? I use diesel kleen. (I think that's how it's spelled). I just don't want to hurt my truck because I can't afford anything major to go wrong with it.

JD3020

Reaction score
I've been running B99 for a while now with no problems. I pretty much jumped right into B99, i think there was a gallon or two of #2 left in the tank when i first filled up, and so far its pretty much been straight bio. So far so good.

JD3020

Reaction score
Nice. Any difference in mpg?

I'm not quite sure. The place where i get it isn't really "set-up" to be selling, and the meter is around 10% off. But i haven't really noticed a difference. I'm still getting about 250-260 miles to the front tank, which is normal unless i'm driving it easy. Even if it hurt fuel economy some there are many many reasons why i want to run bio. I only run regular #2 if i have to.

JD3020

Reaction score
Ever since i put the splits in my truck has had a terrible cackle, loud enough that everybody thought it was gonna blow up. Swithced to B99, cackle pretty much went away. The motor has had a bad shake from 1500-2000 RPM's, which i'm leaning towards injector issues, and when i switched to bio it smoothed out a little. I think i know whats causing the problems, so the B99 is pretty much acting as a band-aid until i can get the problems fixed. Also there is a lot less smoke, and its a lot quieter. Plus it smells pretty good.

Now some downsides i've noticed is that when the motor is cold it takes forever to start up and puffs out a large white cloud for about a second then clears up. I think the crappy cold start is also part of my cackle problem, which i think is low fuel pressure.

On a properly running truck i don't think it'd make as much of a difference, but on my worn out truck it makes some extremely noticeable differences.

JMart

Reaction score
You might have to change your fuel filters more often. But you should be ok running it. Nobody around me sells it, but where my dad lives he switched to b99 in his cummins. He went almost 2k miles before he had to switch his fuel filter. Turns out the bio cleaned out his 300k mile tank real well. After that he was only getting about 5k miles on a filter before the bio would break them down. No other problems though, and the truck had 430k on it when the body finally gave out.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Yep, just carry extra filters. It's only because it will CLEAN your stock fuel system right out. After it's clean, it's no different then you would change diesel filters, just those first few tanks are going to clean it out real well.

I wouldn't bother with additive. I really only run additive for a lubricant, but bio is one of the best lubricants out there.

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
your fuel lines may also start to deteriorate after a while... most newer lines are more tolerable than the old ones. your injectors will appreciate the added lube too and your motor will be noticeably quieter. we make biodiesel and run 100% in an 01 excursion, 03 SD, 1 Fuso, and 3 VW TDIs as soon as it gets warm enough (mid may usually through Oct in upstate NY). the biggest issue as stated by others is the first few tanks and keeping your filter clean, but with a 6-20% blend it'll take a little longer to plug a filter... but also to clean your system out. Your fuel mileage shouldn't be affected with that blend either... or not enough that you couldn't blame it on a lead foot or driving like a girl(sorry ladies, and i know there are plenty out there that have a lead foot issue too). The hard start issue that JD3020 has IMHO is more likely related to an issue with the truck (injectors probly) and not the bio. The fuel additive isn't necessary until it gets colder(though it won't hurt either), and then you might need to add more than you used with straight diesel as the biodiesel raises the gel point. We also have grease kits in two fusos and one of the TDIs... that makes for a little less HP and fuel mileage, but it's a lot cheaper!!! :)

Mdub707

Reaction score
your fuel lines may also start to deteriorate after a while... most newer lines are more tolerable than the old ones. your injectors will appreciate the added lube too and your motor will be noticeably quieter. we make biodiesel and run 100% in an 01 excursion, 03 SD, 1 Fuso, and 3 VW TDIs as soon as it gets warm enough (mid may usually through Oct in upstate NY). the biggest issue as stated by others is the first few tanks and keeping your filter clean, but with a 6-20% blend it'll take a little longer to plug a filter... but also to clean your system out. Your fuel mileage shouldn't be affected with that blend either... or not enough that you couldn't blame it on a lead foot or driving like a girl(sorry ladies, and i know there are plenty out there that have a lead foot issue too). The hard start issue that JD3020 has IMHO is more likely related to an issue with the truck (injectors probly) and not the bio. The fuel additive isn't necessary until it gets colder(though it won't hurt either), and then you might need to add more than you used with straight diesel as the biodiesel raises the gel point. We also have grease kits in two fusos and one of the TDIs... that makes for a little less HP and fuel mileage, but it's a lot cheaper!!! :)

Sorry for the derail, but you're in upstate NY? Where about? I'm in Richfield Springs myself right now, work towards Utica region. I bounce between here and Albany area a lot. We have a lot of greasers here in upstate NY!

psdguy95

Reaction score
Sorry for the derail, but you're in upstate NY? Where about? I'm in Richfield Springs myself right now, work towards Utica region. I bounce between here and Albany area a lot. We have a lot of greasers here in upstate NY!

Damn you for going off topic! LOL it's cool I don't care.