"Down the line" Cummins swap, suggestions wanted.

not enoughsmoke

Reaction score
With the very real possibility that a close friend may purchase my 911 I am considering a Cummins swap for my truck. I'd like to eventually make 400-500hp at the wheels without spending more than I need to. Which engine would be best? 12v, 24v, common rail? I don't expect to go beyond that level of performance. I need a good dependable daily driver and tow rig. I would likely do a ZF6 conversion at the same time. I like my IDIT but it's not practical for building more power, a PSD swap seems too involved. I do have a line on used Cummins engines from "timed out" Fed Ex trucks. I don't think there are any common rails but there are definitely 12v and 24v's available for a good price. So with those things in mind what do some of you guys with experience recommend?

go with the 12valve i have 2 fummins conversions and both 12valve ve motors

me2

Reaction score
I want that intercooler. PM me.

I vote CR for the tunability. EFI Live is coming out. mild to wild, at the download of a program. or the push of the accelerator, depending on how its tuned. you can't beat that.

tylerdillard

Reaction score
It depends on what your looking for. If u want dependability on a budget go with a 12 valve if ur looking for a quieter in cab smoother running truck go common rail. It's gonna be more expensive and more labor intensive but its all in what u wanna do with it.

dietoremain

Reaction score
Man this makes me want a fummins.. but not in my truck my 7.3 is my baby.
I'd love one in an OBS truck tho..
ah some day.

jaybuller

Reaction score
i cant wait to get rid of my 7.3 for a ppumped 12v in my excursion....im tired of sensors and electronics going out on me...seems like every few thougsand miles another sensor or electrical component goes bad on this ole girl... i love the tourque of the 6cly as well all down low under 2000 rpms, its nice. ill also be swapping in a nv4500 trans as well.

Latest posts

Members online