Finally getting started....2002 cc/sb f250

Jason

Reaction score
Not 100% sure exactly how far I'm going with this, or how long this is going to take me, but it began today!

A little background: I'm 30, and have 3 kids with #4 only a few weeks from being here. I've been dragging my feet on tearing into my truck for a year now, and I knew the only way to actually start it, was to man up and DO IT. So, with q few beers for assistance in disassembling my unmolested, all original body panel truck, I dove in, removing all of the front, bumper, fog lights, grille etc. That's as far as I got today, had to pick up the kids, and then dinner was ready, so today was a start...not a big bang, but I'm over the first hurdle lol.

My truck, with loaded enclosed car trailer SOMEHOW crept across the driveway, without me in it, and popped a electrical pole, enough to fubar the front bumper, I've been using it like this (I use it for business), but I was tired of the dented piece on the front and pulled it off to replace it. Well, upon pulling it off, I noticed that my fog lights wouldn't mount inside this bumper (99.5 front bumper) there were no holes drilled, so I figure "I'll drill a few, no biggie", well test fitting showed me that there wasn't enough meat at the top lip of the bumper to drill and mount on, so that plan went down the crapper. I'm not putting it on without my air dam, and fogs. The linger I sat and looked at it, trying to figure out my next step, I realized..I can't drive it without headlights, grille etc., so that was next on the "to go" list.

I called my wife, told her I was going to swap front ends to the newer style, and I was going to make room where my Denali normally sits, and park my truck in there, so it has a place out of the elements, and doesn't look bad while I work on it...with that said, DONE and DONE.

My plans are, while I have it out of commission, I've had a pretty nice oil leak on my motor, front of the turbo spider, all over my intake boots, valve covers etc, and my turbo has been squealing when it's colder, so I need to address that, I've been puking trans fluid out of the dipstick under a load, and when Matt tuned my truck, my icp would drop to 1600, and that was a year and a half ago, and roughly 70k miles as well. Basically, I've got some small issues I'm going to take the opportunity to fix, the right way, and do what I want to the truck. After all of our bills, I've got roughly $6k a month to play with, but I've got a newborn that is fixing to be here, so I'm going to build it in a manner that isn't goig to brake the bank, or put a strain on anything.

List of parts I'm planning so far:
PMR delete, replace with forged rods
238/80's and a 38r
Gearhead stage 1 cam
DI headers
Srl1 hpop
Valve train, and head studs
Etc. Feel free to add or comment on anything I have listed so far.

'05 front end, chrome package grille, CLEAR headlights, chrome bumper with black pad.
'08 rear bumper/tail gate/tails
Lighted '05 mirrors to replace my '02 tt mirrors
Hid's in heads and fogs.

Moving to the interior, I'm getting my seats re-covered (not torn up by any means, I've got a small tear in my drivers seat, but for $150.00 to replace the bottom part of both front seats, it's a no-brainer!
Selling my alpine headunit, going double din, pillar mount tweeters, and a nice set of components front and rear, to compliment my JLAudio sub.

Bilsteins all the way around, traction bars (un-decided so far), upgrading front and rear sway bars, and that should do it.

I don't care about running 12's, or putting down 500, I want a ttfn that wl tow with ease, handles better than it does now, and that will look as good as I expect my vehicles to. She's got 272k on her as of right now, and still shows like a 70k mile truck does, but there's always room for more. I called off my fast car plans, and want to build a do it all truck.

Not on a time line, nothing is set in stone, things can change, but reliability, factory fit and finish, and comfort are my priority in this build. I will get pics up in a bit, and be listing parts for sale as well.

-Jason

Jason

Reaction score
Yessir it does. I can't wait to see either lol, the bumper/tailgate and taillights aren't "need" items, and there's a few other things I don't "need. We will see how Mu budget is looking, and spend accordingly haha.

Jason

Reaction score
2 hours and a 6 pack to realize the splare bumper wasn't going to work. Shlt no I'm not doing that myself lol.

Seriously, no I'm not going to tackle that part of it, I had a little birdy tell me that in mine and yours area, there is a tuner who knows a machine shop that will do the swap for a excellent price, rods, labor, everything, figured that would be the perfect time for cam swap, if that is a move worth making. I honestly don't have the tools or the space to do it in. My truck and my Wife's car occupy the garage right now, my Denali got booted out to the driveway. For the body work part, I want to has the motor out, and tow it to the shop that's going to do the paint work, and have them get around all the edges, 4-stage buff, and touch up a couple rock chips while they have it. Once the motor is out, it'll see a fair amount of time on a trailer getting shuffled around.

Jason

Reaction score
I've been doing some small stuff, trying to track down my oil leak, noticed a silver dollar sized oil spot about 10 minutes after moving the truck, right where the bellhousing meets up. Also got my a-pillar pod and gauges put back in. Too much going on with this baby fixing to be here, and my wife now on maternity leave..maybe I started this thread a little too soon lol.

Jason

Reaction score
Yessir, they are leather. A buddy of mine is an authorized repair agent for high end home furniture, and he has (somehow) the ability to get the materials ford used, basically factory seat bottoms/backs, at cost. He will cut the seat bottom off, new foam inside of it, and re-install the new seat bottom/back. $325.00 for drivers and passengers bottoms, and the back "perforated" insert under where it says lariat.

2002FordPwr

Reaction score
Outstanding! Thats for both seats? So he will refoam the bottoms, put new leather on ,then replace the inside of the back part? Can he get the 2002 sport black? Wonder what it would cost to ship.

Jason

Reaction score
The re-foaming is an option, at an additional cost. Mine don't need to be re-foamed, I've always been super careful how I get in and out, my foam is still in good shape. Leather is in good shape too, but I've got a few "lines" that have popped up, and my goal is to have a 300k mile truck that looks like it is still new. My OCD will be the death of me oneday lol. I thought about going with a katzkin type leather, but haven't been overly impressed with the fitment of some of their stuff, I like a more factory appearance on most things. My Denali has tan interior, and all of the leather (seats, sections of door paneling, etc.) is two-toned tan, light and dark, pretty sweet and you don't see it too often.

Jason

Reaction score
Resurrecting. I started this thread with the intentions of hitting it full on, but life happened, my son was born, and my wife had her gallbladder removed. So, my priorities were elsewhere.

I have finished up the front end of the truck and have been hard after it with moving cattle, so the truck has been parked in the garage again lately. I plan to pick back up where I left off, I have a lot of photos on my phone, but have been too lazy to do anything with them.