For those running SD springs and RSK

chaselee

Reaction score
When I did my swap a year or so ago I just bought some junk yard springs off of an 03 f250. As time has gone by I guess they are worn out because my tires are starting to rub on my bumper when they never did before and nothing in my setup has changed. If anything my tires are more worn now.

So I'm looking at possibly replacing my front springs with some new ones this time. Where is the best place to get good replacement springs? Also, aren't there different ones? Seems like I remember reading somewhere about different spring rates and them being classified by letters. I need something that's going to raise my front end a bit and keep from rubbing my bumper. Any insight is welcome..

dsberman94

Reaction score
X codes are the strong ones. I ordered some from SD truck springs. U bolts included in price but they were pricey. Shipping killed it. See if you can find a local spring shop. Should save you on shipping cost and time and headache getting the correct shape and length u bolts.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Sorry. I have a superduty so it’s heavier anyway. for what it’s worth I don’t think I had x codes on the truck originally, and I put them on last year and didn’t notice a difference.

rusty1161

Reaction score
There’s a ton of information here, your best bet is to use the search.

Most have used V or X code springs. The X codes ride about an inch higher than V codes.

Ford still sells the springs. Once you decide, try your local dealer and check prices.

Rusty

co04cobra

Reaction score
X or V codes and I’d buy them directly through ford. V codes will raise it slightly less than X codes but ride slightly better with a no add-on front end.

Last edited:

chaselee

Reaction score
I guess I should have done more research when I first did this swap as to what I was getting. I just found a truck in the junk yard and bought the springs out of it. When I installed everything the front was quite a bit lower than the rear and the tires were rubbing so I bought the Rough country leveling spring pack to get it back up, but that destroyed most of the ride improvement that I got. So my hope is that if I get the X codes I can get rid of the leveling packs and still be high enough to clear my tires and get that good ride back.

I don't guess there's anyway to figure out what springs you have once they are off the OEM truck that they came off if is there? Like some stamped in codes or anything? I've never noticed, but also never looked real well either.

Reaction score
There are a couple of ways. On he end of the leafs or on the riveted on wrapper band the is a code like 4AC3. There is a chart out there to covert this to the weight rating and door tag code (X,V etc) the other is to accurately measure the thickness of each leaf at the center. Aftermarket spring catalogs have the leaf thickness and count, Ford part #, weight rating etc. Super Duty Spring is one.

freddie

Reaction score
Personally I would go with U or V codes, and rule X codes out. U codes are the softest. Followed by V, then X.

Who's RSK kit do you have now? And what height kit is it?

chaselee

Reaction score
I have the pmf 4" or 4.5". I can't remember now. Not sure if you're as everything or not but my reasoning for considering the X codes is to get the front to quit rubbing while hopefully getting rid of the rough country leveling pack

freddie

Reaction score
I read everything - I think X codes would get the front to quit rubbing, maybe also allow you to get rid of the leveling pack. That is all in assuming that you don't currently have x-codes - I know you don't know what you have now though.

I thought I saw ride quality mentioned a few times - so that's what I was ranking #1. Lol

Strokersace

Reaction score
I cleared 35’s with a 2.25” rsk and V code springs on my old obs. But my rim backspacing may have been different than what you have. You’d think that with a 2” taller rsk and 37’s, you’d have no problem with v codes (I’d guess). And they’d ride better than x codes. But maybe you need the extra 1” or so of the x’s...

chaselee

Reaction score
I cleared 35’s with a 2.25” rsk and V code springs on my old obs. But my rim backspacing may have been different than what you have. You’d think that with a 2” taller rsk and 37’s, you’d have no problem with v codes (I’d guess). And they’d ride better than x codes. But maybe you need the extra 1” or so of the x’s...

There's no telling. I am running a 22x12 with -44 offest

chaselee

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had problems with SD truck springs leafs? I'm ready to pull the trigger hear, but I'm just trying to figure out why SD truck springs is less than 1/2 the price of everyone else? I don't want to make a mistake trying to go cheap here.

Latest posts

Members online