GTP38R vs the KC2

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I didn't even know KC provided an option. As always I pushed my 38R to a buddy who just bought a 7.3 but he brought the KC to my attention. I want to of course be fair here and explore all options

What's the difference if any?

Cloverleaffarm

Reaction score
whats the difference between the 2?

we have a F450 farm truck thats been running a 38r for probably 15 years now and its showing its age

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
38R's were great turbos for their day but the KC Turbos perform better while being much cheaper. The KC chargers are pretty much a SXE Borg Warner stuffed into a stock appearing turbo. The one thing that some customers don't like is that they are journal bearing instead of ball bearing but from everything I've seen KC's turbos outperform the 38R in every way for a much better price.

If I can help set you up with one or answer any other questions let me know or shoot me a PM!

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
So here's a curveball. We are comparing apples to oranges. I guess KC also has a 38R variant.

So how's the 38r vs the 38r...?

The guy just rattles off a KC Stage 2 since its first thing thag came up on Google.

The KC 38r is more money than the KC stage 2

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I have to build an excursion that has to make reliable 1k mile trips and tow a pontoon/camper/sxs or whatever else the guy buys.

Since Ive had my 38R for 9 years I was gunna toss that on.

But I want to be fair and current to the market.

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
So here's a curveball. We are comparing apples to oranges. I guess KC also has a 38R variant.

So how's the 38r vs the 38r...?

The guy just rattles off a KC Stage 2 since its first thing thag came up on Google.

The KC 38r is more money than the KC stage 2

Those are pretty much the same situation but with ball bearings which is much more expensive. They are not available right now though due to supply and to my knowledge I don't think they'll be getting them back. I was told awhile back they weren't going to offer those anymore with the success they've had of the journal bearing series and it not being worth the cost difference.

Depending on what injectors he's running I'd just stick a KC Stage 1 or 2 on that thing and ride out.

Addicted4

Reaction score
Sell your stock turbo, up pipes, spyder and buy a t4. Be much better long term and will be about the same cost.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
A lot comes down to sizing and what injectors you go with and what you are planning to do.

The 38r is old tech with a 66 comp and stock 68mm turbine wheel aka 66/68. They are both very old designs and turbos have come a long way in the past 15-20 years

KC has multiple options
KC stock plus 60/68 - best with stock injectors maybe 160/stock
KC stage 1 63/68 - stock to 160/30
KC stage 2 63/73 - 160/30 to 205/30
KC stage 3 66/73 - 205/80 to 238/100

So sizing your turbo/injectors to your needs and how you plan to use the truck is always going to get you the best results. Bigger is not always better.

If you want, send me an email or give me a call anytime and I would be happy to help
[email protected]
480-688-7160

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
I will ditto on KC turbos being a good option.

When I started shopping I thought I wanted a ball bearing turbo, but the more I read seems like Journal bearings are working out very well.

Pretty happy with mine. I run KC300X stage 1 .84 housing. I run 180/0 injectors. Intercooled. Works great. Can't even hear the turbo in the cab anymore. They are quiet. Spools really low rpm, great around town. City driving.

Now the canned tunes out there, that is a different story.

Reaction score
We went with the KC stage 1 (63/68) on our 02 when the 3 year old 38r bit the dust (guess I got one of the bad runs they're known for). The truck is otherwise pretty stock other than open filter, ccv mod, 4 inch downpipe, trucool Trans cooler, and DP tunes. NIGHT & DAY difference, the KC outperforms the 38r in every facet. There is NOT 1 thing that the 38r did better. Now, the 38r was a significant upgrade over the stock surge happy turbo, but I cannot describe how surprised and happy I am at how much better the KC performs. It's significantly better empty, and when towing (30ft TT). We never have to look at egt Guage when towing anymore since putting the kc on.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Awesome. I have forwarded all info to my buddy.

Like I said it's an excursion that will be pulling a sxs/boat ~1k miles at a time.

It also has 300k miles and I haven't confirmed if PMR or not.

97cherokee

Reaction score
i just switched too a kc stg 1 300x and it is an awesome turbo, im running ff 180/30s with 1023 tunes and always had egt problems... with this turbo i no longer have egt issues, ive yet too see it get over 1050... it spools really quick, it is also very quiet. i was curious about the journal vs ball bearing becuase i always thought that the BB turbo was flatout better, according too kc its great for track day... but for the every day use and tow rig the journal bearing is more economical and will hold up. and as they said more expensive isnt always better.

MeTo

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I will chime in. I have had a 300x 63/70/84 for two years now. I have ACs, 3.55 gears and a ZF5. Pulling a camper through many many mountains in the west, I could not be more satisfied. At 1400 rpm, there is 6 or 7 psi and climbing fast. I have seen 37.4 psi using Torque; not sure what it's accuracy is? I have an Auber 2 channel display for EGTs and fuel pressure (I would not be without a fuel pressure display). I only use the EGT display as my econo meter. Ha ha ha

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.