HID troubleshooting?

Fosterchild23

Reaction score
Vancouver Island B.C. / Grande Prairie, Alberta
I bought a set of brightsource HID lights for my 1995 7.3, and the install of the kit was easy and went really well (minus taking the headlight assemblies out). However when I went to test the lights they don't come on when the key is in the on position (which I've been told is normal so the ballasts don't burn out). The HIDs don't actually come on untill I engage my hi-beams, then I can switch back and run my low beams, however once my low beams are on the lights do not turn off manually and only go out once the key is off, at this point I also realized there was electrical smoke coming from somewhere underneath the cover on my intake manifold..I didn't let it run long enough to get a good look and see what was actually smoking however.

Supereco06

Reaction score
Having sold and serviced several HID kits, and without knowing exactly how yours was installed, the best advice I can offer you at this point is to bring it to a shop that deals with this on a more regular basis for a thorough diagnostic. Sounds like you burned up a harness somewhere.

ftast350

Reaction score
Sounds like the high and low function could be reversed in the HID harness. Meter out which is to be the negative and low beam power on the trucks harness, this will also identify the high beam. Swap the low and high beam wires on the hid harness and test.

Latest posts

Members online