Looking to upgrade 2011 turbo and hpfp

hlejeune6.7

Reaction score
Alright guys so I’ve been a member of powerstroke.org for a long time and just recently joined here. Man have y’all got a lot of helpful info!

Anyway as the title says, I’m looking to do some air and fuel upgrades to my 2011 f250. For the longest time i was looking at the ‘15 turbo and hpfp. Then i realized if im going to spend that much money why not buy something that will put me ahead of all those just tuned and de-le-ted guys? So i got into looking at aftermarket vgt’s and saw how expensive they were (along with the retrofit kits) and then my focus switched to the MPD budget kit and the non vgt sxe chargers. I also want to keep the fuel mileage that I currently have at 16 mpg at 70 on 37s, not sure if a vgt or non vgt is a better turbo for fuel economy.

My trouble with non vgt is i tow occasionally and i do not want a smoke show. I also do some city driving and i dont want that low boost smoke and lag. However, I really like the top end power they are capable of, the low drive pressure, and EGT’s versus the vgt turbos.

As far as the fuel upgrade, I was considering the SPE “Enhanced” exergy hpfp, supposedly good up to 650 hp.

I really want to do this turbo upgrade once and be done with no regrets. Nothing is worse than spending $3k on something and then having regrets afterwards.

I do live very close to sea level and there are very few hills around where I live, if that plays a factor in any advice I’m given. Thanks for the help!:fordoval:

sootie

Reaction score
There is a reason modern diesels don't come with non vgt turbos...

hlejeune6.7

Reaction score
There is a reason modern diesels don't come with non vgt turbos...

I agree vgt turbos really have a lot of pro’s. I was looking at the SPE strike with the billet wheel. They claim it’s good for 650 hp also like the exergy hpfp.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Take a look at KC turbos. We’ve towed around 20k across country on a stage 2 and an upgraded hpfp. No issues, just kept the switch on 1 unless I needed to get around someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Alright guys so I’ve been a member of powerstroke.org for a long time and just recently joined here. Man have y’all got a lot of helpful info!

Anyway as the title says, I’m looking to do some air and fuel upgrades to my 2011 f250. For the longest time i was looking at the ‘15 turbo and hpfp. Then i realized if im going to spend that much money why not buy something that will put me ahead of all those just tuned and de-le-ted guys? So i got into looking at aftermarket vgt’s and saw how expensive they were (along with the retrofit kits) and then my focus switched to the MPD budget kit and the non vgt sxe chargers. I also want to keep the fuel mileage that I currently have at 16 mpg at 70 on 37s, not sure if a vgt or non vgt is a better turbo for fuel economy.

My trouble with non vgt is i tow occasionally and i do not want a smoke show. I also do some city driving and i dont want that low boost smoke and lag. However, I really like the top end power they are capable of, the low drive pressure, and EGT’s versus the vgt turbos.

As far as the fuel upgrade, I was considering the SPE “Enhanced” exergy hpfp, supposedly good up to 650 hp.

I really want to do this turbo upgrade once and be done with no regrets. Nothing is worse than spending $3k on something and then having regrets afterwards.

I do live very close to sea level and there are very few hills around where I live, if that plays a factor in any advice I’m given. Thanks for the help!:fordoval:

I don't have a 6.7 so I can't say anything about experiences but I did see a kit that added a bigger atmo to the factory turbo.

@Sootie mentioned a few things about his former 6.7 setup in my reliability thread. FWIW, keeping any mileage w/ 37's is amazing. Good luck, from what I'm gathering the smaller turbo on the 2011/12 it what helps w/ their mileage. I maybe wrong so someone can explain further.

VickLagina

Reaction score
I find with non-VGT's, TCM tuning plays a huge role in keeping them spooled and avoiding a smoke show like you said.

I have a medium shift TCM tune on my truck and it holds gears a lot longer and allows the charger to stay spooled and the truck to stay on top of it. I have a 6466 Precision and a 15 pump.

Personally, I enjoy the way non-VGT's sound over VGT's, and non-VGT's pull harder up top.

I wouldn't expect fuel mileage to stay the same. The tiny turbo on 11's is what allows them to get good mileage. If you want to gain your MPG back after turbo/fuel upgrades, you should re-gear.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.