DI Street Twin turbo compound project

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
Amanda's truck?
No, a customers. Hers will be a lil bigger:naughty:
So you are using the factory 38r wastegate?
at this time yes.
Any particular reason you chose to cool after the primary and not between?
The 45 is not producing near as much heat as the 38, so in a not so perfect world you want to cool the hottest air, in a perfect world we would intercool both.No wastegate in intermediate pipe?
We are going to do some testing first to see if we even need a waste gate for the 45R, the way we have the waste gate on the 38 setup now we are only making 45 psi total.
Nice!!! Now we need data on how big of a differance it made. I like the looks of compound setups..

Will you be making these to sell???? or just doing some testing??
Most likely not, too many variables and cost would be pretty high.
looks good! will you ever go back to a big single now? i found you cant explain in words how compounds run, all you can do is drive them.
Not if I can help it and yes a test drive is worth a thousand words of trying to explain. Problem is where to fit a 55 under the hood of Amanda's truck.:doh:
I like the looks of it only one thing I don't like is the air filter location.... Other than looks pretty sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was not to keen on a filter getting smashed into place on top of the radiator shroud, for now we are making a fender liner to cover the area around the air cleaner.
How come there is no water to the 45r, wont it get fried :confused: Nice setup though, i wish i had compunds
Water is not needed for what we generally use these turbos for.
Lifted 2wd or 05 conversion?
Lifted 2 wheel drive that is going to be converted to a 4x4 later.
Looks good but wheres the vids?

Coming soon:evil

Arisley

Reaction score
Looks good David. I really like the idea of using wheel well space. As long as you can protect stuff from flying road debris.

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
You mean fuel wise? I just don't see how the 38r WG can be used to limit the 45r or manifold boost.

The 45 getting ALL the heat to the turbine wheel would generally make 55-60 psi like Danny stated but the 38R is using up some of that heat and then you loose some heat going to the 45, ganna put in another boost gauge in between to see how much the 45 is making. Keep in mind this was intended to be a crisp and responsive street setup making 550-600 rwhp so the turbos are not being pushed very hard.
And also keep in mind this is my first personal attempt at a compound setup.

Last edited:

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Compounds are easily my most favorite addition to any diesel powered vehicle.

Dave - it would be interesting to note not only the amount of boost each turbo is making, but also the amount of back pressure each charger is seeing. Out of curiosity, what sticks are under the valve covers?

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
Compounds are easily my most favorite addition to any diesel powered vehicle.

Dave - it would be interesting to note not only the amount of boost each turbo is making, but also the amount of back pressure each charger is seeing. Out of curiosity, what sticks are under the valve covers?
MM's 238/80's, Regulator kit, Airdog and the usual bolt ons.

Ya ya:swordfight: if you drove my wifes or any of the trucks I build with 42R's and cam/headwork you would understand why I said that BUT I have to admit that the 45/38 combo is a lot of fun.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Ya ya:swordfight: if you drove my wifes or any of the trucks I build with 42R's and cam/headwork you would understand why I said that BUT I have to admit that the 45/38 combo is a lot of fun.

It's also how you can have a high HP DD/heavy tow vehicle and keep a decent speed going over high mtn passes without melting your pistons. Which is why I'm doing a 4202/38r.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
Thats a sweet setup, i bet it drives like a big block gas engine as far as power delivery is concerned.

One question though- since you are relying solely on the small flapper valve for the wastegate, did you enlarge the hole and cross drill the volute to wastegate both sides of the up pipe collector? If memory serves right the flapper disc is a good bit larger than the stock hole and could be enlarged some.