Polishing Aluminum wheels

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
What are the steps you take after a winter of not taking care of your wheels very well??? What brands do you prefer? Do you do it by hand or with a buffer wheel?

I am going to do mine tomorrow and hope to make them shine like no other!

JoeDiesle

Reaction score
Adams metal polish. I have Welds Aluminum wheels, just did them and they look like chrome right now.

florida 6.0

Reaction score
I use 00 steel wool and a liquid metal polish to cut the top layer of crud off,then mothers and a polisher to finish.

PsRumors

Reaction score
Do they have a clear coat on them? If a clear you do them like you would paint, if bare aluminum, I used the Mother's powerball with good success on my stripped Alcoas

IMG_3013.jpg

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
How can i even tell if they have a clear coat? Its pretty difficult to tell, i know ive acid washed them before and that seems to work good to strip them, if ive done that is it pretty safe to think that i dont have a clear coat?

Strokersace

Reaction score
Do they have a clear coat on them? If a clear you do them like you would paint, if bare aluminum, I used the Mother's powerball with good success on my stripped Alcoas

IMG_3013.jpg

Those look great!!! What did you use to strip them? I've heard amazing things about aircraft stripper, but don't even know were to look to find it. I'm wanting to strip my stock Alcoa dually's.

Strokersace

Reaction score
I have a grey 3m scruber pad (heavy duty coarse) I got from the paint shop locally to prep plastic parts for painting. Used it on one of my wheels to get the tiny metal flakes off of it when the brake caliper stuck and ground metal on metal. It was the only thing I could get to take that crap off. It scuffed the clearcoat on may factory alcoa pretty bad.

Thats another reason why I am wanting to strip mine more and more.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I used an SOS pad on mine, didnt do much but its better than nothing! I polished one out and it looks good but it needs a better stripping to start with or the polishing just doesnt come out right

Latest posts

Members online