rear lug nuts are different

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
OK guys. What gives? I got some new rims and tires for the excursion and the long mag style lugcentric nuts won't fit on the back! The lugnuts are M14x2.0. They fit on the front. Not the back. What do I need to order and where do I get them?

78f100

Reaction score
We ran into this on swapping wheels between 2 trucks one has m14-2 and one had 1.5 pitch so had to buy new ones also. Go to a local tire store and match one and have them order you some thats what we did.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Its an 03. The one in my sig. Yeah I've found out that they went to the goofy thread pitch in 03 only. Apparently both front wheel bearings have been replaced because they have the standard 2.0 pitch. Does anybody know where to order what I need? I'm trying to mount some aftermarket rims and need the long acorn style. I called the local tire store earlier today and they said they would have to order what I need. I figured I would just do it myself.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
These are what I'm putting on.
2012-07-11_19-10-17_174.jpg

Arisley

Reaction score
Change the lug studs out to the proper one's... That way they all match...

It is also probably cheaper to replace studs than it is to replace the lug nuts.

You could probably steal four off each front wheel and put them on the back wheels. Lots of vehicles only have four lug nuts on each wheel. :doh:

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
LOLLOL That's great. I have a spare rear axle I will just swap them out later when I have time. For now though I just got some 1.5's and put them on. Thanks guys!

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Few things irritate me more than lugs that don't match all the way around. I had my first run in with mis-matched wheel lugs when I was 15.... I had bought a 1952 Dodge pickup truck - it needed a little TLC, but it ran and drove.... poorly.... I started in on the brakes and had someone help me - I took the wheels off the drivers side - had them go and take the wheels off the passenger side while I worked on figuring out how to disassemble early 50s drum brakes... when I got everything done and went to put the wheels on I had a horrible time..... it turns out one side of the vehicle use LEFT handed threads..... it was then and there that I swore that I would NEVER let mismatched threads occur on any vehicle I ever owned if I could help it. I was one pissed off 15 year old kid.... lol

bng305

Reaction score
Few things irritate me more than lugs that don't match all the way around. I had my first run in with mis-matched wheel lugs when I was 15.... I had bought a 1952 Dodge pickup truck - it needed a little TLC, but it ran and drove.... poorly.... I started in on the brakes and had someone help me - I took the wheels off the drivers side - had them go and take the wheels off the passenger side while I worked on figuring out how to disassemble early 50s drum brakes... when I got everything done and went to put the wheels on I had a horrible time..... it turns out one side of the vehicle use LEFT handed threads..... it was then and there that I swore that I would NEVER let mismatched threads occur on any vehicle I ever owned if I could help it. I was one pissed off 15 year old kid.... lol

Why did a brand new truck need TLC? LOL just kidding. I couldn't pass that opportunity up.

Arisley

Reaction score

Yep, old Mopars always had left hand threads on one side. The top of the stud will have an "L" on it. The reason was so that they would not loosen up while driving forward. Makes perfect sense.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Yep, old Mopars always had left hand threads on one side. The top of the stud will have an "L" on it. The reason was so that they would not loosen up while driving forward. Makes perfect sense.

It sure didn't to this guy at that age - it didn't help that I was doing it on my own because dad sure wasn't very mechanical in nature..... I had already surpassed his skill set in engine troubleshooting and repair by that time.... he would bring home and old tractor (which I probably had already looked at with him) and he would tell me to make a list of what I needed to make it run. Once I was mobile in my trusty pickup truck - I learned a whole lot more at a much higher rate of speed.... I had maybe had my license for a year before I was rebuilding antique engines and even poured and hand scrapped a few Babbitt bearings.... I figure its a short list of 30 year olds at this point in time that have done that.... LOL

Arisley

Reaction score
It's a short list of 30 yr olds that even know what babbit bearings are.

For that matter, even something as simple as a dual point distributer, or what to do with it.

BTW, I always thought the left handed lug nuts were stupid also.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
It's a short list of 30 yr olds that even know what babbit bearings are.

For that matter, even something as simple as a dual point distributer, or what to do with it.

BTW, I always thought the left handed lug nuts were stupid also.

Very true - babbit bearings are mostly a thing of past - most of the "late" built motors with babbit have options to upgrade to more modern insert style bearings.

Dual point distributors are awesome old school tech - nice clean and simple. I've resorted to retrofitting the old distributors with HEI tech lately though - I'm working on getting the parts together right now for a neat little unit that should look factory 50s on the outside and be crammed full of modern goodness on the inside.... :D

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
I'm 24 and I know what babbit bearings are. I used to work for my grandfather building commercial wax rendering equipment. From time to time we would get an old machine that HIS dad built to rebuild and update. They used to use babbit and wewould switch them to sealed greasable pillar block bearings.

Latest posts

Members online