rotella t6 5w40

berrnard

Reaction score
so i am new to the game, my 6.0 is my first diesel. the truck has 240k miles, im the 2nd owner and is in the shop for a new hpop and cooler and is getting an egr ******. and a few goodies added. stocked up on some rotella t6 synthetic as the research i did has that placed in top 5 of most people and it's affordable.
talking to the mechanic he said nah, we started to using mobil delvac. the rotella has too many detergents in it and makes the oil foamy as a result. you should not use that in 7.3s and 6.0s
does that sounds right? i wonder if he was talking about the t4 dino version.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
so i am new to the game, my 6.0 is my first diesel. the truck has 240k miles, im the 2nd owner and is in the shop for a new hpop and cooler and is getting an egr ******. and a few goodies added. stocked up on some rotella t6 synthetic as the research i did has that placed in top 5 of most people and it's affordable.
talking to the mechanic he said nah, we started to using mobil delvac. the rotella has too many detergents in it and makes the oil foamy as a result. you should not use that in 7.3s and 6.0s
does that sounds right? i wonder if he was talking about the t4 dino version.

I wouldn’t use retells unless I was in bfe somewhere and somehow ran out of oil and it was all that was there to get me going again, just to get somewhere where I could change the oil with something decent.

Anyway, that being said, I honestly have not met a heui motor that actually ran better on synthetic than it did on a blend. Don’t know why, probably something to do with molecule expansion or something of that sort, or the weight difference (5-40 vs 15-40). My truck had actually lost .5 a second in the quarter mile just from synthetic oil, that had my chasing my tail for awhile. Ended up changing hpop and opt, before finally changing the oil and seeing my time drop.

I run lubrication engineers 8700, we use motor raft at the shop, and if you’re looking for something you can get pretty much anywhere, motor raft would be my choice. ****, you can get it at Walmart...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Whs^^^...

id piss in my engine before i chose Rochitta oil....

LE 8700 kicks ass in all aspects of diesels. Especially the heui motors.

Put the rotella in your lawn mower. If its even worthy of that. Lol

Motorcraft isnt the greatest over the counter oil but if you are looking for readily available then go with valvoline 15w40 or chevron delo 15w40....

live life full throttle

berrnard

Reaction score
Whs^^^...

id piss in my engine before i chose Rochitta oil....

LE 8700 kicks ass in all aspects of diesels. Especially the heui motors.

Put the rotella in your lawn mower. If its even worthy of that. Lol

Motorcraft isnt the greatest over the counter oil but if you are looking for readily available then go with valvoline 15w40 or chevron delo 15w40....

live life full throttle

i see a lot of claims for the delo 400 but it's not on the approved oils for ford. then again schaffers isnt either or valvoline

https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/Products/List?cid=70

guess people like it though

97cherokee

Reaction score
ive been running rotella 5w40 in my 7.3 for the past 150k truck has 375 on it now and runs like a champ, i run the t5 10w30 in my 6.7 and it does well. not sure why rotella catches ****??? pretty much all of the diesel oils went down hill when the new ck-4 classification came out in 2017/2018. and i did research when i bought the 6.7 as too why ford didnt certify most ck-4 oils and if i remeber correct most lack zinc/phosphorous and a few other additives ( thanks epa)

03_PSD

Reaction score
I run Delo full synthetic in my 6.0 for almost 100k miles. I also used to run Delo full synthetic in my 7.3 for over 100k miles and never had an issue. Dailey drivers no racing trucks for me though.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
ive been running rotella 5w40 in my 7.3 for the past 150k truck has 375 on it now and runs like a champ, i run the t5 10w30 in my 6.7 and it does well. not sure why rotella catches ****??? pretty much all of the diesel oils went down hill when the new ck-4 classification came out in 2017/2018. and i did research when i bought the 6.7 as too why ford didnt certify most ck-4 oils and if i remeber correct most lack zinc/phosphorous and a few other additives ( thanks epa)
Can you show me some oil analysis showing how good its doing?

live life full throttle

97cherokee

Reaction score
on my personal vehichles i do not, but speaking from experience of having torn down a bunch of cummins isx's, the higher mileage 650k plus engines for certain fleets that run rotella 10w30 or 5w40 i can say that if it werent for a dropped liner or carbon packed rings, that they would of ran for alot longer. if the engines didnt have a failure that generated debris through the lube system the bearings still looked reusable between the rods, mains, cam and gear train bushings.

what is it that you hve seen with rotella that deems it too be such poor quality?

cRaZy8

Reaction score
Can you show me some oil analysis showing how good its doing?

live life full throttle

I have been running Rotella 5w40 for at least 6 or 7 yrs in my truck.
About 12k miles per year. 180k on the motor.
Last 3 or 4yrs I also add 20oz of Archoil 9100 every oil change.
I sample every oil change, typically 4k miles.
Blackstone always gives me a good report, and often states I could go more mileage if I wanted.
Only negatives they ever give is winter time oil changes, elevated fuel dilution from longer idling and warm up times.

Have plenty of reports if you need em.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
No experience personally really... I did have a HUGE issue with Amsoil 15w40. I ran that garbage for thousands of miles thinking I had a bad pick up tube the truck ran like complete crap hot and oil was foamy...

I've been on Mobil 1 TDT 5w40 for years and it's absolutely amazing. I even run it in my IROC(LS1) and pour a little on my cheerios. It's good for everything....

powerlifter405

Reaction score
I noticed my 7.3 and 6.0 would start easier and run a bit quietier on syn vs dino oil, regardless of brand. The 7.3 regardless of syn brand would get louder as the miles wore on. Oil analysis at 10k always said it was good but I changed it and it was quieter again. My 6.0 hates dino in the winter, its a noisy bast%rd.

Everyone has their opinion, oil analysis and life has shown me good clean oil is paramount regardless of brand. 315k original miles on the 6.0 using ford 15-40 or something similar and OEM filters, no top off needed between oil changes.

Diesel625

Reaction score
I know a few people who have run 5w40 rotella, and said it was ok. I personally run schaeffers 5w40, or 15w40, and will not try anything else. I used to run Mobil 1 tdt oil and always liked it as well. I would definitely run the 5w40 rotella before their 15w40. I had 334k miles on my 06 before I had issues with it. It was run with nothing but motorcraft 15w40 before I bought it and started using schaeffers.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I have been running Rotella 5w40 for at least 6 or 7 yrs in my truck.

About 12k miles per year. 180k on the motor.

Last 3 or 4yrs I also add 20oz of Archoil 9100 every oil change.

I sample every oil change, typically 4k miles.

Blackstone always gives me a good report, and often states I could go more mileage if I wanted.

Only negatives they ever give is winter time oil changes, elevated fuel dilution from longer idling and warm up times.

Have plenty of reports if you need em.
I don't trust blackstone. They have been known to give false readings. I have seen many many analysis from other various companies failing anything rotella..

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I noticed my 7.3 and 6.0 would start easier and run a bit quietier on syn vs dino oil, regardless of brand. The 7.3 regardless of syn brand would get louder as the miles wore on. Oil analysis at 10k always said it was good but I changed it and it was quieter again. My 6.0 hates dino in the winter, its a noisy bast%rd.

Everyone has their opinion, oil analysis and life has shown me good clean oil is paramount regardless of brand. 315k original miles on the 6.0 using ford 15-40 or something similar and OEM filters, no top off needed between oil changes.
Who do you use for analysis? I find it extremely hard to believe that any oil in a 7.3 would show good after 5-6k miles. Unless you where running a bypass filtration system.

live life full throttle

cRaZy8

Reaction score
I don't trust blackstone. They have been known to give false readings. I have seen many many analysis from other various companies failing anything rotella..

live life full throttle

What other analysis companies have you seen fail 'anything Rotella'?
Thats a pretty broad area and bold statement.

ncollins64

Reaction score
Haven’t had tests done yet but all I run in our equipment and trucks is Schaefer’s and CenPeCo. In my opinion my 6.0 runs smoother and quieter with 15w40 and always motorcraft filters.

bismic

Reaction score
230k miles on my 6.0L - all of it has been smooth operation.

I used Rotella 5W40 for about 6 oil changes (5k intervals) without any issue. The wear metals were fine at this change interval. The Rotella T6 does shear significantly more than the Mobil 1 TDT 5W40 and Mobil Delvac 1 5W40, but were still in the 40W range at 5k (just barely though).

I have been at 7.5k mile OCI's for quite a bit and the Mobil oils have just sheared the viscosity down to about point where a 40W begins, but still higher than the viscosity that the virgin 5W30 oils start at. Wear metals have been fine at 7.5k intervals.

I used Schaeffer 9000 for 4-5 oil changes and it was fine except that the lead numbers went up. I even went back to a different oil (the Pb then went down) and then went back to the Schaeffer oil and the Pb went back up.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
What other analysis companies have you seen fail 'anything Rotella'?

Thats a pretty broad area and bold statement.
Ill have to get with jim. He is the one who started me down the path of superior oils and applications and certain oil analysis companies to stay away from. I work for him so of he still has access to all that info i will get it. It was when he worked with lubrication engineers and they had all the files.

live life full throttle