swapping 1997 7.3 lower end into 2002 truck

kshaw

Reaction score
swapped 1997 lower end into my 02 got it started heavy black smoke at idle any thoughts or suggestion would be helpful

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Lower end, so you used the 02 injectors?

kshaw

Reaction score
yes new o rings and washers truck has been sitting for a couple years at least not sure how good the fuel is at current prices it is very cheap fuel
rebuilt turbo and stiffer spring in fuel bowl

webb06

Reaction score
I’d be pulling valve covers and making sure injectors are torqued down. I’m thinking one isn’t torqued and getting raw fuel into cylinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
stiffer spring in fuel bowl
Like fuel pressure spring? too much fuel pressure can hold the injectors open.

turbo shouldn't matter, shouldn't have boost at idle anyway.

What about something like not hooking up the map/boost sensor? could something have been left off or not plugged in?

Have you tried to check for codes?

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
I’d be pulling valve covers and making sure injectors are torqued down. I’m thinking one isn’t torqued and getting raw fuel into cylinder
That is a good point. Fuel pressure check might help diag that too I suppose.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I’d definitely be looking at the injector system. I’ve got a 95 engine in my 02 with no issues. Just be careful it doesn’t hydrolock in the mean time.

kshaw

Reaction score
thanks for the input will be pulling covers off this week end first going to put original spring back in

dsberman94

Reaction score
If everything is torqued correct and you get no movement from any bolts and still have the issue a cut o-ring or possible double copper washers could do the same. Just sucks you’d have to pull them back out again.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Well there wasn’t much left that was stock on my factory engine to start with, including the injectors, so I finished it off with a new set of bigger injectors, regulated return, and a t-4 turbo kit.

What I can say about yours is that you aren’t dumping enough fuel to get white,raw fuel out of the exhaust so it’s within a range where it’s definitely over fueling but not dumping fuel into a cylinder. I’m not sure even if you left the stock injectors from the 90s engine in yours that it would do what you’re saying but it’s been a while since I’ve read up on what single shot injectors do on split shot tuning.

Popping in the intake is valvetrain related. Hopefully for you just a pushrod.

Latest posts

Members online