Tesla Style stereo for '16 F350

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Long term testing of this is not good. SOOO many problems. The hardware is gorgeous, but the software is early alpha at best. I've got a longer writeup somewhere if anyone is interested. Mine is not made by All Out Industries as they lead everyone to believe, it's Aucar. It's been replaced 3 times and then they charged me another $1k for an upgraded version that was so bad I returned it. IDK about the Phoenix, but the Aucar is not great.

A_wilk

Reaction score
10-4 sorry to hear that. But thanks for the response guess I will be going either sync 3 or an aftermarket head unit.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
PX6 Fatal flaws

• Phone echo is horrible. The person on the other end of the line hears what they have said 2-3x in echo. Have tried two different Android phones and an iPhone. I have also put the original Sync2 unit back in and there’s no problems with it. This is clearly a fatal flaw with the PX6. Makes handsfree completely useless. Owner of All Out Industries says it’s a problem on my end.
  • Phone screen is modal, can’t minimize it or see where you are going on gps when on the phone
  • Google maps pops up a small version of itself when on another screen (like music), often this has to be moved to get to controls. This should go away.
  • Heated steering wheel is missing from climate controls (2016 sync2 installation). Must go to sync2 interface, this kills any music that’s playing and if a radio station isn’t tuned you get blasted by static. Then you have to navigate back to music, move the maps subscreen and hit play. Too much pushing of buttons to do one simple thing.
  • Temperature is wrong. I’ve seen as much as a 15°F difference between actual (displayed on truck screen) and what the PX6 displays.
  • Has a setting under install set to turn on TPMS monitor, no way to display it onscreen. The data is there on the CAN bus, should be able to display it on the PX6 without needing an aux ODB reader.
  • Light sensor is very slow to react, when backing out of my garage into bright daylight, I can’t see the backup screen for 10sec or so. Safety issue.
  • Unlike factory, the heated/cooled seats and steering wheel heat is on when the engine is not running. This is a huge power drain and should not be active when the engine isn’t running.
  • Launcher seems to re-launch Pandora every time I hit the menu button. Should just switch over to the running app instead of re-launching which is sloowwwww. I can hit tasks, bring up the task screen and hit pandora and it doesn’t do the slow relaunch.
  • While we are on the subject of Pandora, it will crash 3-5x in a row, then be fine. More flakey behavior from the PX6.
  • The phone screen is absolute garbage. About half the time the phone doesn’t work at all, or it’s echo’y and other times the sound doesn’t go to either the person on the other end or in the truck. Totally flakey. Address book doesn’t come over. No way to say “call Amy” and have it work. Sometimes it’s all static, disconnect from PX6 and the line is perfectly clear…but then you aren’t handsfree.
  • USB is extremely slow charge rate. This should be USB3 w/ fast charging. This seems to be a hardware flaw and a big one. I’ve driven over an hour w/ my phone on charge and had only 10% added to the battery. Sync3 was much better.
  • Time is not right since we 'sprang forward'. It reverts to GPS time which does not reflect daylight savings. Then after 15 min or so it changes to the right time. Annoying

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Well, for those of you following the PX6 saga I've had with numerous defects, crashes and general unsuitability of the unit, here's the new chapter.

Aucar demanded $500 to replace my defective unit. I had contacted them well within the warranty period, but they dragged it out past a year and now say they are being very generous to offer me a $500 'upgrade' to the latest PX6 w/ Android 11.

At first I told them to kick rocks. Some time passed and the repeated failures of my PX6 pushed me to give them what they demanded. Stupid I know, but here we are.

On top of the $500, they demanded another $500 to hold for security in case I didn't return the defective PX6. Or I can simply put my truck down for whatever amount of time they would take for shipping the defective PX6 back and a new one out.

Yes, for those of you counting I'm now $2000 into this venture.

A few days ago the new unit arrives (10 days after paying them) and yesterday I got around to installing it.

First impressions, the screen protector is all gouged up and looks used. The unit itself had no less than 6 remembered wifi connections, none of which had Chinese names and there were 5 remembered Bluetooth connections. This leads me to believe this is a USED unit that someone has already returned as defective. Aucar claims these are part of the ‘testing’ process. I don’t believe them.

Next, for my $2000 they sent me the bottom of the line unit, 4GB of RAM and 64GB of Storage. I got it running with just a couple apps and have only 50% of the available space left for music downloads, map downloads and any movies I’d load on it. Clearly insufficient for my needs.

The console screen (sync2) does not respond to input. The radio works if you don’t use the Sync interface but the PX’s. Appears to be some sort of software defect as this worked on the old PX6.

It’s insisting on launching Android Auto instead of doing things natively, so I’ve been boning up on how to prevent this. Must be a setting somewhere to stop this from happening.

The interface disappears when you launch anything (instead of keeping the row of icons across the top.) Not sure there’s a fix for this as I’ve hunted pretty hard and there doesn’t seem to be a way to fix this.

And that’s it so far. In theory I will get $500 back when I ship the old PX6 back, and have sent them a message on the defects and the bottom of the line issue but I don’t expect much. So I’ll only have $1500 in a bottom of the line unit. I could have gone to Phoenix and gotten the top of the line for about $700.

And finally, I’d like to give a big @#%^ %$% shout out to Aucar, their crappy business practices, poor quality hardware and glitchy software.

Latest posts

Members online