Thinkin' about a 94-97 7.3l

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
The truck in my sig is my current ride. I'd like to get some opinions on a 94-97 250-350 7.3l from some of the guys who own them. I really like the way these trucks look and from I read they can be very reliable. I'm not looking to replace my 6.0l, I love my truck. Just looking for a toy. I know the 7.3l isn't gonna run a 4.4 second 0-60 like my 6.0, but thats not what I want it for either. I'd like to find a 94-97 crew cab 4x4 with a manual tranny. It would be great to find one with less than 125k miles, but I'd consider up to 180k, maybe even 200k depending on what you guys tell me. The manual transmission and crew cab are have to haves. My 6.0 pulls my lawn equipment trailer and gets worked fairly often. The truck I'm thinkin' about would generally be used as a run around town truck and something for my wife to haul the kids in when her Equinox proves inadequate. Basically it will have a posh life doin' light duty work and lookin' good. Give me some opinions on the best years, what to look for (good and bad), and what price range I should be in for straight body, good paint, clean interior and mechanically sound. Thanks in advance.

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
Obs are great trucks. I love mine and wouldnt get rid of it for nothin. Hence why its beeing entirely rebuilt.

cw96stroker

Reaction score
Never had any trouble out of mine while I had it except for a bad alternator once and a water pump, which is nothing, I think you would like it a lot if you got one. And mileage really isnt a big deal, depending on how it has been taking care of through its lifetime.

smokedout250

Reaction score
I love my obs I hhave 215k on it runs liike a top it has been very reliable.... I haven't done a whole lot to it just replaced the oem alternattor still had the original water pump and vaccum pump... mine lives a plush life just a dd the occasional tow but mainly a drive to work or town is all I do...I wouldn't trade it for anything

Chimera

Reaction score
We have a 95 RC/LB F350 5spd at work that's got 396,xxx miles and been used as a logging crummy its whole life. Still fires up and runs great after sitting for a week out back behind the shop now. Could use a set of body mounts now though LOL

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Ok, allow me to show my ignorance towards these trucks, I always here them referred to as OBS trucks.... what does OBS mean? BTW, I just looked over at auto trader and there were only 2 crew cab 4x4 7.3's with a manual within' 100 miles of me. Kinda think that if folks are holdin' on to these trucks like that, they must be good vehicles.

purpleheart350

Reaction score
I have 318k on my 95 F350 and it is still strong only thing I replaced were the Batteries, fuel pump and alt. In Dallas Texas you can find a F350 4x4 crew cab with 200k for $4k so if you come to Texas you can get a good deal

MAC

Reaction score
I have 318k on my 95 F350 and it is still strong only thing I replaced were the Batteries, fuel pump and alt. In Dallas Texas you can find a F350 4x4 crew cab with 200k for $4k so if you come to Texas you can get a good deal

Me! I'll take one! :thumbsup:

94.5 Stroker

Reaction score
OBS means Old Body Style. 96-97 trucks would be better because it has the anti-drainback HPOP, hence able to use an HPOP off of the SD 7.3. Mine has 220k on it and I love it but I just want something newer.

For a toy truck they are fun but as you stated it wont be as fast.

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
Mine has 325k on it. I put a new fuel pump on it, replaced a few injectors and then it lost oil pressure. It must have been poorly maintained cuz the bearings were toast. Still had power and was reliable while it still had oil pressure

Yodersstrokin96

Reaction score
love my crew cab, i have put new batteries in it and a starter since i have had it still runnin awesome at 260K haulin our goosenecl loaded down primaraly

chromehound

Reaction score
Only 2 things I never liked about the obs trucks - no IC and the D50 front end in the 250s. Good luck in your search!

samoht517

Reaction score
I love mine 216k and still goin strong. Replaced a few things that went bad from general wear and quite a few from turnin the chip up and goin alittle hard on the skinny.

If I got another itd be a 350 or d60 swapped 250

Diesel_Brad

Reaction score
I have a FLEET of OBSs. I have has 2 SDs though. And while the SDs are faster in stock format I just feel more comfortable in a OBS even my reg cab ones. And i am 6'4". The crewcabs are roomier for sure.

I wouldn't be worried about miles over 200k for the engine, but the rest of the truck will be showing wear.

As far as finding a crewcab stick F350, it is not a hard task.I would say about 50% were sticks

Now if looking for a crew cab F250 stick, you have a challenge at your hands.
I know, I have one and it was not easy to find and I have had MULTIPLE offers since i got it(my avatar). They were only made in 96/97 and I would venture to say only 10% were sticks. And the F250 TTB can be problemsome. Mine was worn out when I bought the truck so I decided instead of fixing it, I would Just replace it with a F350 D60. I have bout 1500 into my front axle swap and that is including the axle, RSK, SD springs and rebuilding the axle too. If interested look here http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1853&highlight=springs.

The rest of the 2 trucks are IDENTICAL other than the 2.5" rear blocks in a F250 and 4" blocks in a F350. In all reality, you cant go wrong with a any OBS

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
That is very informative. So the 350's don't have have D50 , but a D60 instead? I wouldn't mind a 350 at all, just don't think I want a dually. I talked to a friend the other day who specializes in buying and reselling older cars and his advise was to wait a while on the purchase. He said all used cars are bringing a premium price these days. It could take a while to find the right one around here anyway.

JCart

Reaction score
Continue to have awesome service from my OBS truck. Keep an eye on Craigs list, auto trader, E- bay... Also check out a place called handpicked western trucks LLC think they are in Va.

Took me quite a while to find both my crew cabs just be patient and keep looking, also be prepared to throw down the dough immediately, as low mile nice ones go quick...don't be afraid of a high miler either as long as the body is in good shape you can replace the other stuff easily. Mine is a DD work truck and my hobby so I enjoy messin with it. The ZF-5 is bullet proof....the stock clutch not so much but is replaced easily.

Rare ones in My area are the F250 Crewcabs as they are a shortbox too and in a manual...very rare indeed. Nice to see nuther OBS guy at heart....don't know what it is but they just kinda grow on ya.

Good luck

Jrc

Latest posts

Members online