Which Door speakers for upgrade

oneturboforme

Reaction score
i added mine in the back next to my amp, youll have to wire the entire truck if you choose that.. maybe behind the kick panels? maybe you can round up a wiring diagram and find out which is the speaker line and tap into it. you will still need to run wires for the tweeters tho

Jayz

Reaction score
For 6.5's I honestly don't think you would have to trim anything. Worst case though, you might have to remove about 1/8" to a 1/4" of material on 2 sides of the factor openings in the door. OR... you could get some 1/2" MDF or HDPE (cutting boards) and make some adapter rings, these will also space the speaker out from the door a 1/2" which should make it fit without any problems.

the factory openings are 6"x8" (nominal) and the cutout diameter of these 6.5" example speakers is 4-15/16" which should fit without any modifications. I am thinking back, and I believe the opening at the narrowest is 5.5" across.

You have to use 1/8 in steel plate, any thing else to to thick and speaker surround will b into door panel. I did Polk 6501 (6.5" components, love Polk components) in my 08 and made a 6x8 1/2" mdf plate to then mount the 6.5" into and it hit the door panel. Had to remake them in 1/8" steel sheet. Had bout 1/4" gap between door and speaker surround.

jdc753

Reaction score
You have to use 1/8 in steel plate, any thing else to to thick and speaker surround will b into door panel. I did Polk 6501 (6.5" components, love Polk components) in my 08 and made a 6x8 1/2" mdf plate to then mount the 6.5" into and it hit the door panel. Had to remake them in 1/8" steel sheet. Had bout 1/4" gap between door and speaker surround.

That sucks, I have 1/2" MDF on mine, I counter sunk some holes for the factory bolts, and then screwed the speaker to the MDF.

Steel plate works for an adapter, but there is a secondary reason to using MDF of HDPE as it acts to "decouple" the speaker (moving "piston") acoustically. This reduces the transfer of vibrations from the moving speaker into the sheet metal. For higher end car audio these MDF baffles are used even if the speaker is a direct drop in replacement, just for the added benefit of decoupling.

Also, on some door panels with careful use of a heat gun and a roller they can be reshaped to get a little more clearance between the speaker and the door panel. Little harder on the 08+ trucks since the door panel is soo boxy/squared off, but not too hard on the earlier trucks.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
I ended up getting Rockford fosgate punch series 6x8. Sound pretty good but I think I may want tip put a compact 40 or 45rms amp to them. Any recommendations

CMCx2012

Reaction score
This thread answered most all of the questions that I had for 6.5's in my truck... But the consensus seems to be MDF over the HDPE>? I was also told the baffles will affect sound.

Latest posts

Members online