Its had enough

big_stroker

Reaction score
OK after doing some testing last night I think the hpop night be bad. The low pressure is at 25psi while cranking and the res is full. The IPC is 0 and DC is at 30% or so. Unplugged the ICP and cranking get 2100 ICP (default from PCM) and 75% DC. Any other suggestions?

ju015dd

Reaction score
OK after doing some testing last night I think the hpop night be bad. The low pressure is at 25psi while cranking and the res is full. The IPC is 0 and DC is at 30% or so. Unplugged the ICP and cranking get 2100 ICP (default from PCM) and 75% DC. Any other suggestions?

If the res is staying full and not draining I would think the IPR is OK and with the pump only building 25 psi it is possible your pump could be bad. But you need to block off each head one at a time to rule out a massive oil leak in either head. Also make sure the hoop bolt didn't work itself loose. I had this happen once and it did what you have going on.

big_stroker

Reaction score
If the res is staying full and not draining I would think the IPR is OK and with the pump only building 25 psi it is possible your pump could be bad. But you need to block off each head one at a time to rule out a massive oil leak in either head. Also make sure the hoop bolt didn't work itself loose. I had this happen once and it did what you have going on.

I checked the hpop bolt last night and it was good. I don't believe I'm leaking oil any where.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
If you feel like taking the valve covers off, you could confirm no leaks.

mandkole

Reaction score
That sucks.. confirm the install work-- gear bolt, electrical connections, etc. Sounds like you are getting low pressure oil supply. If the IPR was not new, it might just be worth a replacement (maybe swap the magnet if you have one of those). Is the ICP new? With the ICP disconnected, the default is 725, so not sure what drove the 2100psi command. A bad IPR wont drain the res-- it just wont sent the oil to the heads.

Pressurize the rails and looking for leaks is a good idea also.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
When my injector orings took a dump, my ICP would be less than 100psi while my IPR would go all the way up to 90% when trying to start. So your values seem off. When I disconnected my ICP I got 750psi like mentioned above.

ToMang07

Reaction score
I second replacing the IPR/ICP if they aren't new. I had a start/stall when I put my motor back in, I had rebuild the IPR when the motor was out, sure enough, the electro-magnet/solenoid was shot.

Baker42

Reaction score
My 95 had a problem with the IPR. It would start and run, but as soon as the truck got to operating pressure it would die like the key was turned off. I would let it cool, it would start and then die again. I replaced the CPS. Same thing. I replaced the magnet part of the IPR, No change. Finally put a new IPR in and never did it again. Thanks to Bob Riley for helping me figure it out. But if it won't start at all, I would think bad o rings, or maybe the IPR is stuck open and just dumping oil.

Last edited:

big_stroker

Reaction score
Well I couldn't wait till tomorrow... went out and changed it and it fired up. Let it run for a while with no issues.... going to wait till tomorrow for a test drive.

dsberman94

Reaction score
if that works for you then thats what i going to have to do as well. I've got an intermittent hot no start issue and when i disconnect the icp sensor i also get the 2100psi on the insight instead of the usual 750, and it still wont start. ive also had a big oil puddle behind the engine under the truck. ill check back to see if it worked.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Well I couldn't wait till tomorrow... went out and changed it and it fired up. Let it run for a while with no issues.... going to wait till tomorrow for a test drive.
that is prolly the ticket right there man. hope that works fir ya.. the 7.3s can be a finicky mofo...

live life full throttle

Baker42

Reaction score
Yep
Weakest part of the rig (IPR).
What did Unlimited do? Pistos/rings? Crank obviously? Bearings, line hone? What's the bill? Just curious.