Installing GTP-38R and new pedestal

aceltx

Reaction score
So I just recieved my gtp38R turbo and new EBPV Pedestal. Going to do the swap this weekend. Any tips? Anyone who has done it before, something I need to be careful of or make sure I do? I am very mechanical, just more experience on gas. Pretty confident on doin the job just lookin for some more guidance, just incase.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Start spraying all the up pipe bolts with pb blaster at least once a day now, the collector bolts too. Replace the turbo to pedestal o rings and the pedestal to block o rings.

Tom S

Reaction score
Making sure to have the collector truly aligned with the turbo.

ghohouston

Reaction score
^and on that note, just hand thread the up pipe to manifold bolts in, so they're still loose, and fully tighten the collector to up pipe bolts. Install pedestal, set turbo on pedestal, get the collector lined up perfectly as TomS said, to the turbo inlet, feel ALL the way around the turbo inlet and make sure it sits flush all the way around the flange, then put your v band clamp on hand tight. From there, my way of doing it is this: hand thread both 13mm turbo to pedestal bolts, then you actually tighten the exhaust collector v band clamp, then the 13mm turbo bolts can be tightned, then the up pipe to manifold bolts, then the downpipe. And for extra insurance, put a bit of clean grease on the turbo to pedestal o rings, so they don't slide around and get pinched during installation.

David N

Reaction score
Yeah there should be a little alignment stud at the top of the collector. Make sure its aligned. And the rest is cake.

78f100

Reaction score
I did one today, not bad just do what everyone else said. I put it on a customers 550, it's a good running truck now, I was amazed at the difference it made.

aceltx

Reaction score
...the piece that joins both up pipes to the turbo? Yea,i sprayed all the bolts i could with aero kroil. Felt like christmas when that new turbo and new pedestal came in yesterday...cant wait to instal it, inlet is Huge...4" i thought it was only 3" when Purchased

Arisley

Reaction score
Don't miss what Ghohouston said about the grease on the orings, it doesn't take much and it holds the orings in place while sitting the pedestal.

While you have the pedestal off, check the fuel lines, make sure they are in good shape, especially check where the line goes under the GPR, there is a clamp there that likes to rub a hole in the fuel line. If it is showing wear, you can fix it with a 1/4" compression fitting from Home Depot. Easy to get to with the turbo out, PITA to get to with the turbo in.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
...the piece that joins both up pipes to the turbo? Yea,i sprayed all the bolts i could with aero kroil. Felt like christmas when that new turbo and new pedestal came in yesterday...cant wait to instal it, inlet is Huge...4" i thought it was only 3" when Purchased
stock is 3 inch. listen to all that has been mentioned! very good, spot info to fallow!!

live life full throttle

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
I also like to use my air hammer knock that V band loose at the back of the turbo
Just a few taps and it's free!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

aceltx

Reaction score
You know..i was thinking that after I bought it. Would have saved some money to. But i was pretty happy no one knocked me for it until the 2nd page. Lol. EBPV is just used during warm up right?
Thanks for mentioning the Waste gate that was one thing i forgot to ask about that I wanted to. Truck is oretty stock aceept for i take, stock injectors. I should tight it as far as it will go?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
You know..i was thinking that after I bought it. Would have saved some money to. But i was pretty happy no one knocked me for it until the 2nd page. Lol. EBPV is just used during warm up right?
Thanks for mentioning the Waste gate that was one thing i forgot to ask about that I wanted to. Truck is oretty stock aceept for i take, stock injectors. I should tight it as far as it will go?
nobody is knocking you for it.. depends on where you live that its needed.. my dually is 450+hp and had the ebpv in it until last summer... 4 or 5 yrs i guess..

live life full throttle

78f100

Reaction score
It's not bad to delete it yourself, you need 2 20mm freeze plugs and a 1/4 inch pipe plug.