7.3 cut out while driving won't restart

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im pretty interested in your setup. I bet it would run like a sumbitch with a 38r or s468.

Hows the trans hanging in there? My stocker died quick behind those injectors.

mustube

Reaction score
My truck holds the power fine in gear, but doesn't shift very well. I think it has more to do with the tires than the power. I have broken 2 shafts but that was because of a bad rebuild, both times was on the 2-3 shift at very light throttle. 38r is on the list, I just need to stop spending money on offroad toys.

I think these injectors with a 38r or similar BW turbo would be the perfect 7.3 truck.

TyCorr

Reaction score
My truck holds the power fine in gear, but doesn't shift very well. I think it has more to do with the tires than the power. I have broken 2 shafts but that was because of a bad rebuild, both times was on the 2-3 shift at very light throttle. 38r is on the list, I just need to stop spending money on offroad toys.

I think these injectors with a 38r or similar BW turbo would be the perfect 7.3 truck.

People say that about the 238/80-38r-and built trans combo too!

You have 37s. I had a lot of shifting issues at that size and until my speedo and other things were corrected it was a beotch. If I went bigger than a 35 again, which I wont, id definitely be looking for 4.10s.

mustube

Reaction score
Yeah but I feel like with 175s you can get away with an otherwise stock truck and be fine. Especially with a PMR motor. You get into 2xx injectors and you have to start wondering when you will lose a rod if you really drive it. I just want a solid DD and don't really want to swap in a forged motor for piece of mind, or buy a built trans. With 175s, a healthy trans/converter/valve body, and maybe a turbo and you should be set.

I'll get my truck reprogrammed but the issue I'm running into is the stock abs computer won't go past 35s and the speedometer fixes you can buy only fix the speedo, not what the computer sees. Gears help for sure but they don't fix the speedo since the sensor reads off the ring gear instead of in front of the pinion.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
The speedo can be corrected with ae. No doubts.

Sorry, I overlooked your pmrs.

mustube

Reaction score
Anybody in Austin, Texas have AE and know how to change the tire size? I'll buy some beer or something.

TARM

Reaction score
It sort of works out those as if you go over 35 up to say 37-40+ you are likley going to do a gear change which will then bring the correction back into the range of the tire change scope in the PCM program. When I finally get my 40s in the garage mounted with the 4.56s I will actually need to reduce tire size from stock to get speedo perfect as I will be a little lower in final gearing at the axle rotation. Using the speedo gear cal on the forum is helpful for figuring out size to match same speed. which you can then used to adjust the PCM tire calibration setting.

If someone needs help with the AE tire size calibration setting here is step by step with pictures and everything. If you do not know it can have you scratching your head for quite some time unless you start fiddling. This will save you the headache hopefully:

Attachments

• AE - Changing Tire Size.pdf
    54.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

mustube

Reaction score
Gear swaps don't change the speedo because the speedo only counts ring gear rotations, not driveshaft rotations. I guess programming my truck for 35s is going to be as good as it gets.

TARM

Reaction score
Really damn it. I thought I had that figured out. Crap. I thought it was axle shaft/hub rotation Hmmm that sucks. So the only answer is that expensive add on

TyCorr

Reaction score
It sort of works out those as if you go over 35 up to say 37-40+ you are likley going to do a gear change which will then bring the correction back into the range of the tire change scope in the PCM program. When I finally get my 40s in the garage mounted with the 4.56s I will actually need to reduce tire size from stock to get speedo perfect as I will be a little lower in final gearing at the axle rotation. Using the speedo gear cal on the forum is helpful for figuring out size to match same speed. which you can then used to adjust the PCM tire calibration setting.

If someone needs help with the AE tire size calibration setting here is step by step with pictures and everything. If you do not know it can have you scratching your head for quite some time unless you start fiddling. This will save you the headache hopefully:

Have you tried it before accepting that it simply wont work?

mustube

Reaction score
It is axle shaft and hub rotation, but if you think about it, tires will change how fast the ring gear turns vs. vehicle speed, but a gear change won't, it will only change drive shaft speed vs. ring gear speed. Gear swaps will definitely change rpm vs. speed but not what the computer sees from the VSS.

TARM

Reaction score
Nope but that is my plan as I am sort of a have to see for myself kind of person. What is your take on it?

TARM

Reaction score
It is axle shaft and hub rotation, but if you think about it, tires will change how fast the ring gear turns vs. vehicle speed, but a gear change won't, it will only change drive shaft speed vs. ring gear speed. Gear swaps will definitely change rpm vs. speed but not what the computer sees from the VSS.

That was what I was not getting correct.

Latest posts

Members online