7.3 obs or SD, or just go up to 6.0?

Reaction score
quirks = head gasket failures, cracked and warped heads.
maintenance = regular head gasket replacement
I didnt see these 6.0 heads racked up in the machine shop back when they were current, I saw them today.

couple of months ago I had to wait on my 7.3 cam because Colt is busy running through a ton of 6.0 cams as they fail all the time

I just wish I was in the 6.0 repair industry raking in the fat stacks

LOL.

swinky

Reaction score
quirks = head gasket failures, cracked and warped heads.
maintenance = regular head gasket replacement
I didnt see these 6.0 heads racked up in the machine shop back when they were current, I saw them today.

couple of months ago I had to wait on my 7.3 cam because Colt is busy running through a ton of 6.0 cams as they fail all the time

I just wish I was in the 6.0 repair industry raking in the fat stacks
Just stop man. Do you have any idea how many trucks are out there that were studded in 04-05 and still going strong?

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
I'm sure this will ruffle everyone's feathers lol. If you're that set on reliability get a 6.9/7.3 mechanical or even better a B series Cummins with the dowel pin addressed. There's one thing about people that will never change, their passion. Shen someone feels that their choices and preferences are the best option they won't listen to reason or rationale. I've read as many threads about mystery problems with the 7.3 just like the 6.0 and just about every other computer controlled engine. Everything will have problems over time, whether minor and major, and will have to be dealt with.

That being said, try to find something that has been maintained well and not abused. Perform necessary maintenance, delete if there are emissions and you can, and then enjoy. Just remember, no matter what you have, there will likely be issues at some point and you will have to address them and continue on your way.

m j

Reaction score
Just stop man. Do you have any idea how many trucks are out there that were studded in 04-05 and still going strong?

didnt they come out part way through 03? so if you can find one that got studded within 12 months of purchase it will be 'OK'? sounds pretty rare...and those are the ones that the HPO system is junk right?

you do remember you are in the 7.3 section here? we dont have to drink the 6.0 koolaid here

Last edited:

swinky

Reaction score
didnt they come out part way through 03? so if you can find one that got studded within 12 months of purchase it will be 'OK'? sounds pretty rare...and those are the ones that the HPO system is junk right?

you do remember you are in the 7.3 section here? we dont have to drink the 6.0 koolaid here
I have an early 03 6 liter..... 230k miles stock hpo system making 700 to the tires. Yeah it's junk.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
just stop... you might accidentally convince more people to start shopping for 6.0's

I like being able to buy nice, reliable, well-built trucks cheap!!!!!!

bruce

Reaction score
I have an early 03 6 liter..... 230k miles stock hpo system making 700 to the tires. Yeah it's junk.

You tryin to come into the 7.3 forum and make people believe a 6.0 is better than a 7.3 is gonna be about as easy as you goin to an Army forum and convincing them you're not a pog.

swinky

Reaction score
You tryin to come into the 7.3 forum and make people believe a 6.0 is better than a 7.3 is gonna be about as easy as you goin to an Army forum and convincing them you're not a pog.

He asked a question you ***kin boot.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score

every forum I'm on, my shortcut is the "New Posts" link... I like to browse through everything, so I literally never pay attention to what forum the post is in, I just read the title and the thread.

I get reeled into a lot of these things that way :( LOL

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
I think swinky is on to something. If we can get more people to start buying the 6.0's that are generally priced at 1/2 to 3/4 of an older 7.3, maybe it drive the price down on them. Anybody have any idea why a 7.3 holds that much more value than a 6.0?:poke:

patricku47

Reaction score
I think swinky is on to something. If we can get more people to start buying the 6.0's that are generally priced at 1/2 to 3/4 of an older 7.3, maybe it drive the price down on them. Anybody have any idea why a 7.3 holds that much more value than a 6.0?:poke:

People are scared of the 6.0L and the price reflects that.

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
I hear that. We have 6.0's in my family too, and I've seen one go for 175k with no issues and no love at all!!! That one was def. built on a Wednesday.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score

same reason clean original square body Dodges sell for $20k+

because people get hung up on simplicity... I love simplicity!!! I'll even pay a premium for it :)

But there's no way in hell I'm paying 5x actual value for it :eek:

7.3's are the best truck of their era... Pains me to actually say that, but Ford can build a truck! LOL

People will pay a LOT of money for piece of mind that they won't have to spend a bunch of money on unforseen issues later.

Unfortunately, the fantasy isn't quite reality though :morons:

ja_cain

Reaction score
If it were me, I would drop that motor from your OBS straight into a SD whatever. It's a sweet setup that you are familiar with. Then you could swap your OBS over to a SD motor and run a 38r and whatever injectors. Could be almost the same truck basically without the potentially lower drive pressures of the BASB.

I like simplicity too and constantly battle with this mindset on a daily basis in a world of complex technology at my fingertips. I almost feel like an xlt 05-06 Ford with just power windows, cruise control ABS would be all I need. Put a p-pump Cummins in it with compounds, a little pump work and some higher flowing injectors and then be done (no more than 400 to 450 hp at the wheels). The injectors are probably cheep enough you could keep some spares in the truck. A DTA-360 would be sweet too. I would just need to make sure I could get the cruise to work as that is extremely important to me especially for long highway trips.

Latest posts

Members online