BD Diesel 6.4 Tap Shifter?

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
i think the more likely scenario, is if you had a stock truck there wouldn't be any issues.

otherwise the r&d time to test your product with every available tuner would be rediculous, not to mention pointless.

sounds like they picked a few of the more major ones, got them mostly figured out, and are now running into some one off issues.

though their willingness to help resolve the issues that are arising from the use of aftermarket tuners is commendable.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I like that BD has made some products for the 6.4 that nobody else has and at least IMO were greatly needed. If I had an auto tranny, I would definitely want one of these. Hopefully this won't end up like their exhaust brake which kept frying their stand alone box. Based on their history, I am with TB on this one.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
i think the more likely scenario, is if you had a stock truck there wouldn't be any issues.

otherwise the r&d time to test your product with every available tuner would be rediculous, not to mention pointless.

sounds like they picked a few of the more major ones, got them mostly figured out, and are now running into some one off issues.

though their willingness to help resolve the issues that are arising from the use of aftermarket tuners is commendable.

You might be right that they took some of the bigger named tuners and tested, but why is my Livewire not communicating then but the Edge Insight does. Has nothing to due with the tuning in my mind, it wont read anything other than codes so its not a connection issue. If it were 100% true the person above that tried an Insight that the Tapshift went nuts would have done the same as mine, been able to monitor but the sensors act nuts ever so often.
I went out yesterday and played around without the trailer on the truck and having the Insight plugged in or not. I cant tell a difference in shifting with out without.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
just installed the tap shifter on my truck and upon the initial start up it wouldn't start. All I could hear when turning the key was a click. with help from (powerstroked08) he had me go into the diagnostics on my mini maxx and erase all the DTC's. There were several DTC's but the 2 that popped up after the tap shifter installation was an exhaust gas regulator flow or something like that and also there was a communication error. Everytime I start the truck I have to erase these codes or else the truck won't start. Going down the road the truck runs funny. The fan is almost always on it reaches 1000+ egt's very quickly and abnormal turbo sounds. Also when I go to delta the codes my mini maxx sometimes work and sometimes doesnt. Has anyone had any of these issues?? Could wiring be hooked up wrong or something??
Thanks guys,
Troy

I'd check the wiring, I have one with a MM and no issues. However in the instructions it says to tap the 20AWG lead and the there will also be a 18AWG lead with the same color code. I tapped the 20 the first time and nothing worked. I got to thinking about it and figured like most manufactures they might have gotten a 2009 or 10 for testing and mine is an early 08, basically it was designed and tested off of a different build year ( this is my guess ). So I decided to splice the 20 back together and tap the 18, and bam everything worked perfect. So my guess is between 08-10 some small changes were made to pin outs on certain harnesses.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Wow thats weird. My 08 was like the instructions, built 10/07 (Which is also weird because its a job 2 with 4.88's which ended in job 1 and I dont have the trans filter under the bellhousing. So i consider my truck a Job 1.5.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Went out and tested 5 and 6.
Well 5 would be great, you can upshift at really low speeds but a HUGE PROBLEM, no TC lockup.
6 is nice too but the Tow Haul button is for the lockup only in the high 2 gears. I need it for towing also.
If 5 would add a the normal lock up that would be a great setting.

Reaction score
Anyone know why when I plug the tap shifter in I get an exhaust gas recirculation flow code? When the mini max is plugged in by itself everything is fine but when I plug the tap shifter in along with the mini max it throws that code and the truck starts making weird sounds. Thanks

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
it sounds like they need to add another button.

tc lock up, for a "on demand" lock up.

and it sounds like a majority of their issues are programming issues. and like with most new products, there are going to be bugs to work out.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Didn't BD just sponsor up here? I'm subn in to see where this goes. I like the idea of it if they can iron it all out.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Anyone know why when I plug the tap shifter in I get an exhaust gas recirculation flow code? When the mini max is plugged in by itself everything is fine but when I plug the tap shifter in along with the mini max it throws that code and the truck starts making weird sounds. Thanks

My truck shifts perfect.

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
Mine had to be unplugged. I was getting a code for lost communication with instrument cluster. Tach and speedo would move erratically. Talked to bd and they are going to send a new module

ford141

Reaction score
Just looking for updates to see if guys are still having issues with these? I have wanted manual control over shifts since I bought this truck and was thrilled to see BD bring it to market. I just sold some stuff so I have the money now to buy one. I mostly want it for towing. I live in western Pa with tons of hills and the truck likes to hunt between 4th and 5th on the hills way more than I like. I'd rather just put it in 4th and leave it there, but there's no way to do that. I have a Mini Maxx with canned tunes and a stock tranny.

One question with these: they say that you can control TC lockup and shift points. How is TC lockup controlled?

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Just looking for updates to see if guys are still having issues with these? I have wanted manual control over shifts since I bought this truck and was thrilled to see BD bring it to market. I just sold some stuff so I have the money now to buy one. I mostly want it for towing. I live in western Pa with tons of hills and the truck likes to hunt between 4th and 5th on the hills way more than I like. I'd rather just put it in 4th and leave it there, but there's no way to do that. I have a Mini Maxx with canned tunes and a stock tranny.

One question with these: they say that you can control TC lockup and shift points. How is TC lockup controlled?

As far as I know the TC lockup is only able to be manually controlled in 4-5 gear. As far as shift points, you can fully manually shift the transmission depending on the mode that you have the shifter in.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.