BD Diesel 6.4 Tap Shifter?

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Just looking for updates to see if guys are still having issues with these? I have wanted manual control over shifts since I bought this truck and was thrilled to see BD bring it to market. I just sold some stuff so I have the money now to buy one. I mostly want it for towing. I live in western Pa with tons of hills and the truck likes to hunt between 4th and 5th on the hills way more than I like. I'd rather just put it in 4th and leave it there, but there's no way to do that. I have a Mini Maxx with canned tunes and a stock tranny.

One question with these: they say that you can control TC lockup and shift points. How is TC lockup controlled?

Call Gearhead and get their tunes. In their tune tow/haul locks out overdrive.

ford141

Reaction score
I was hauling a backhoe just this past saturday and was pulling a steep hill with a switchback in the middle. When i hit the switchback I wanted the truck to downshift to second but it wouldn't, instead it wanted to stay in 3rd and just lug. I even pulled the shift lever down into 2nd and it still stayed in 3rd. I thought this would have been a great place for the tap shifter so I could manually select 2nd when I wanted it. Sometimes the trans shifting just confuses me.

So you guys think I'd be better off with a GearHead tune than a BD tapshifter? I don't have MCC tuning, so I'm looking at $200 for that plus $250 for the tune, for $450 total. The BD tapshifter is $525.

ford141

Reaction score
I must add, I'm not looking to make maximum power out of this truck. In fact, I run the H&S on stock setting all the time. It runs great and I want my trans to last a long time. Just looking for more control over the shifts, especially when towing.

sootie

Reaction score
I must add, I'm not looking to make maximum power out of this truck. In fact, I run the H&S on stock setting all the time. It runs great and I want my trans to last a long time. Just looking for more control over the shifts, especially when towing.

reason you have the issue is that H&S is not load based shifting. you need gearhead tunes if you want to be good on your trans.

ford141

Reaction score
reason you have the issue is that H&S is not load based shifting. you need gearhead tunes if you want to be good on your trans.

This I did not know....... very interesting. I wondered why my truck doesn't like to downshift when it is lugging hard.... So Gearhead tunes will compensate for this?

Jonnydime

Reaction score
This I did not know....... very interesting. I wondered why my truck doesn't like to downshift when it is lugging hard.... So Gearhead tunes will compensate for this?

Yes. The engine tuning is also much more refined.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Just to correct some.
The Tapshifter is not a full manual like I have posted in the first few pages of this thread. It has some safeties built in for the complete moron.
The Tow Haul button for lockup is only in setting #6, you have 1-6 to choose from.
Overall it works good, just a few bugs that I am having with the gauges and I want a full manual option.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Call them and Bitch!!! They are sending me another module because mine wont communicate with the SCT and will do some different things when activated. I think they should have tested it more.
Other than no communications, does it work?

BeauxPete

Reaction score
Yeah it works fine. The dashdaq works sometimes and then it doesn't. Right now it is working fine and my 66/88 nonvgts love this thing lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.