BD POWER ENGINE EXHAUST BRAKE FOR 6.4

Sandddemon08

Reaction score
Ok so after I had issues with UPS I finally picked it up from UPS Friday, I had a chance today to put it in. I will say the instructions are clear except for the tee tap on the brake switch wire. I ended up removing the brake switch for better access to the wire.

Now for the results, this information is based on the truck empty with a truck weight around 8900-9000 lbs

The rotary switch offers three different modes:
• Stock
• Vane Control Only
• Vane Control and aggressive downshift

The number one setting Vane Control Only doesn’t seem to do much driving around empty. I actualy didnt even notice it on at first. After playin with it you just dont see much on setting 1 unless you are in the upper rpm range 2500-3400, in that rpm range you can fell it work and the back-pressure is around 52-64 psi actual or about 78 on the dash daq. To get these numbers I had to run third gear to about 3400 and let off the throttle.

Now setting 2 Vane Control and aggressive downshift is a diffrent story, this setting is VERY aggresive the truck down shifts very aggresive as soon as you let off the go pedel and the exhasut back pressure is in the 58-68 or a max reading of 82 on the dash-daq with a rpm range of 2500-3400. The truck slows down really fast. From about 55 mph the unit did all the work I dint have to manual shift at all to get these numbers, all I had to do was let off the throttle

Overall the unit seems to work as intended. I will add that I was running the Spartan 275 tune while running these tests. The only negative thing at this point I can comment on is the trans shift from decel to acceleration, I am running upgraded solenoids and higher line pressure along with a aggressive tune and a aggressive TQ but a few of the up shifts out of a decel where harsh almost similar to a rev slam. I had two notable hard shifts when I got back on the go pedal after a fast decel, probably not something that would normally happen towing a trailer but notable nonetheless.

Hopefully I can grab a trailer tomorrow and load it with 20K or so to come back with some loaded test results.

Another notable issue is if you don’t have tow haul mode on, if you select the number 2 setting on the exhaust brake it will engage tow haul on decel automatically and turn it off on acceleration. This is just the first day i played and i only had about an hour or two if that with it, tomorrow i can play with it more and provide more results loaded and un loaded or any other info yall may wanna know

Last edited:

B585Ford

Reaction score
Ok so after I had issues with UPS I finally picked it up from UPS Friday, I had a chance today to put it in. I will say the instructions are clear except for the tee tap on the brake switch wire. I ended up removing the brake switch for better access to the wire.

Now for the results, this information is based on the truck empty with a truck weight around 8900-9000 lbs

The rotary switch offers three different modes:
• Stock
• Vane Control Only
• Vane Control and aggressive downshift

The number one setting Vane Control Only doesn’t seem to do much driving around empty. I actualy didnt even notice it on at first. After playin with it you just dont see much on setting 1 unless you are in the upper rpm range 2500-3400, in that rpm range you can fell it work and the back-pressure is around 52-64 psi actual or about 78 on the dash daq. To get these numbers I had to run third gear to about 3400 and let off the throttle.

Now setting 2 Vane Control and aggressive downshift is a diffrent story, this setting is VERY aggresive the truck down shifts very aggresive as soon as you let off the go pedel and the exhasut back pressure is in the 58-68 or a max reading of 82 on the dash-daq with a rpm range of 2500-3400. The truck slows down really fast. From about 55 mph the unit did all the work I dint have to manual shift at all to get these numbers, all I had to do was let off the throttle

Overall the unit seems to work as intended. I will add that I was running the Spartan 275 tune while running these tests. The only negative thing at this point I can comment on is the trans shift from decel to acceleration, I am running upgraded solenoids and higher line pressure along with a aggressive tune and a aggressive TQ but a few of the up shifts out of a decel where harsh almost similar to a rev slam. I had two notable hard shifts when I got back on the go pedal after a fast decel, probably not something that would normally happen towing a trailer but notable nonetheless.

Hopefully I can grab a trailer tomorrow and load it with 20K or so to come back with some loaded test results.

Another notable issue is if you don’t have tow haul mode on, if you select the number 2 setting on the exhaust brake it will engage tow haul on decel automatically and turn it off on acceleration. This is just the first day i played and i only had about an hour or two if that with it, tomorrow i can play with it more and provide more results loaded and un loaded or any other info yall may wanna know

If you are seeing that kind of back pressure, it will work great at slowing you down, even with the extra weight of a trailer. H#ll, running in the 40s of BP is enough to hold me back on 6-7% grades grossing 30k. Based on your reports, it sounds like this work great. The only question is will it last??? I hope it does...it would be really nice to have an option like this that you could turn on and off.

Are you on stock up pipes?

Sandddemon08

Reaction score
If you are seeing that kind of back pressure, it will work great at slowing you down, even with the extra weight of a trailer. H#ll, running in the 40s of BP is enough to hold me back on 6-7% grades grossing 30k. Based on your reports, it sounds like this work great. The only question is will it last??? I hope it does...it would be really nice to have an option like this that you could turn on and off.

Are you on stock up pipes?

Yes I am on stock up pipes.

For my own clarification If I am not mistaken the EBP reading on the Dash Daq is absolute which reads about 14-14.5 atmosphere. That has to be subtracted to see the actual EBP.

I just want to be clear on my results thats why I stated on setting one the peak EBP on the Dash Daq was 78 psi after the correction that is a actual EBP of about 64 psi. This number is based on the high end of the rpm range truck did not down shift i actually had to bring it to the high end of the RPM range then let off the accelerator.

Setting 2 the peak EBP on the Dash Daq was 82 psi after correction that is a actual EBP of 68 psi. This number is based on the higher end of the rpm range as well but the controller did the aggressive downshifting to keep the RPM's up after you let off the accelerator.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Yes I am on stock up pipes.

For my own clarification If I am not mistaken the EBP reading on the Dash Daq is absolute which reads about 14-14.5 atmosphere. That has to be subtracted to see the actual EBP.

I just want to be clear on my results thats why I stated on setting one the peak EBP on the Dash Daq was 78 psi after the correction that is a actual EBP of about 64 psi. This number is based on the high end of the rpm range truck did not down shift i actually had to bring it to the high end of the RPM range then let off the accelerator.

Setting 2 the peak EBP on the Dash Daq was 82 psi after correction that is a actual EBP of 68 psi. This number is based on the higher end of the rpm range as well but the controller did the aggressive downshifting to keep the RPM's up after you let off the accelerator.

I knew you talking about absolute and I still think it will do whatever you ask it to as far as stopping goes. The Max I have mine set for is 50 (actual and it does great). I do think that is asking a lot of stock up pipes. You were were basically maxing out the factory sensor.

Sandddemon08

Reaction score
Well just an update, I am very happy with the engine brake, setting one is what I use the most , setting 2 is simply too aggressive with the Trans mods I have done. The issue I have with setting 2 is when your coming down a hill and rpms are high around 2800-3400 it will slam into gear when you attempt to accelerate that is really the only compliant I have it after several thousand miles towing 28k to 32 k gross but I think it's has a lot to due with the upgraded Trans solenoids and aftermarket Trans tuning. It's amazing the grades i can come down with that weight and not touch the brakes unless some azz cuts me off....lol. I still use the number 2 setting in steep grades, but I select back to the number 1 setting before I accelerate . Hope this helps a few of y'all on the fence about this product.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Well just an update, I am very happy with the engine brake, setting one is what I use the most , setting 2 is simply too aggressive with the Trans mods I have done. The issue I have with setting 2 is when your coming down a hill and rpms are high around 2800-3400 it will slam into gear when you attempt to accelerate that is really the only compliant I have it after several thousand miles towing 28k to 32 k gross but I think it's has a lot to due with the upgraded Trans solenoids and aftermarket Trans tuning. It's amazing the grades i can come down with that weight and not touch the brakes unless some azz cuts me off....lol. I still use the number 2 setting in steep grades, but I select back to the number 1 setting before I accelerate . Hope this helps a few of y'all on the fence about this product.

I had no doubts that it would be effective. My only concern was it holding up. Glad to hear yours still is.

HD-tech-NH

Reaction score
Thank you for the link. But I mean more specifically. Which terminals are used at the turbo controller? Also what signal is applied to close the veins? ie: ground, battery voltage, 5v ref?

Sandddemon08

Reaction score
Well heres an update, i have had my first issue with the engine brake, now that summer is here i see engine temps around 218-224 regular towing in 105 plus temps. As soon as the engine gets over 216 for 20 minutes or so the electrical go's haywire in the BD Power box. The truck goes into limp mode and you are stuck and i mean stuck. I had 26,000 lbs on the back of the truck and had to put the truck in 4 low just to muster enough power to limp off a road so i could see what the hell happen. NO boost, no power, check engine light about 3 or 4 codes and i was done. I couldn't figure it out at first tell it hit me all the codes where around the electrical circuits the BD box plugs thru. My guess is that when the BD box gets hot the pass thru to longer works correct and the problems start. I poured a little cold water on the BD box and as soon as it cooled the truck worked fine. I contacted BD and was told to go thru the vender i purchased it and they would warranty it out. Its just a pain in the ass cause you have to completely remove all of it to send it back. They said and i quote sometimes heat affects electronics.......real you didn't know you where installing the BD control box in the engine compartment where its hot.....its no secret these truck run hot towing.....wow ( AND YES I INSTALLED IT WHERE THE INSTRUCTIONS TOLD ME TO),
anyways I'm on the ledge of pulling it out for good or giving it another shoot with a warranty unit. It worked perfect tell this issue, but this issue caused me a lot of drama....end of rant

Last edited:

JrStroker

Reaction score
Anyway you could possibly mount it around a wheel well opening or near the front so air can keep out cooler? Just a thought. I don't know where it says to mount it at.

Cory Anderson

Sandddemon08

Reaction score
Anyway you could possibly mount it around a wheel well opening or near the front so air can keep out cooler? Just a thought. I don't know where it says to mount it at.

Cory Anderson

They have you mount it behind the driverside battery on top of the fuse box. The harness wire's are not long enough to mount it anywhere else. Getting it out of the engine compartment would be the best idea in my opinion and would only take an extra 2' or 3' longer harness. The only other thing i could think of is a high quality heat sink mounted to the BD control box to keep it cool like they use to have to put on the older 6.5 diesel chevys that had issues with the injector PMD's boxes in the engine compartment or locate it near the front of the engine compartment near the coolers for better airflow as your suggesting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.