Best way to Launch

mattmal9

Reaction score
Not to change the thread too much either, But I have been curious about the SPE locker relay. Is the factory locker strong enough to take the boosted launches and abuse from having it on when it really shouldn't be? It makes perfect sense in the performance aspect, but when you install the locker relay are you pretty much counting down the days for something to fail after beating on it?

dseitler

Reaction score
As the last couple of guys have said both tires spin anyways. I really don't think it will fail unless you are towing or hauling heavy loads and turn on pavement. It's not a pin lock type of rear. It's more like a drive cone. The more torque you put on it the tighter it gets.

mattmal9

Reaction score
As the last couple of guys have said both tires spin anyways. I really don't think it will fail unless you are towing or hauling heavy loads and turn on pavement. It's not a pin lock type of rear. It's more like a drive cone. The more torque you put on it the tighter it gets.

Axle will snap before the locker will break

Damn, didn't know that. I will definitely look into that then. Thanks guys

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
There is also a police mode in the ids programming that removes all traction. Did it in our 11

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

sledhead455

Reaction score
I get what the other members are advising. Yes in theory holding down the button for traction disables it.

I can tell you I hsve held it down and advance track disabled come on.
The burnout still goes to crap and the truck defuels at speed.

Abs is great but on a track truck its a luxury I can't afford.

I pull the sensor or fuse and life is fine.
Datalogs do not show the problem because I think it is a can bus message from abs requested .

I hate to say it but I think he's right. The only way I have been able to fully disable the traction control is to unplug a sensor or be in 4 low. I haven't tried the abs fuse but I can verify that unplugging a sensor will completely disable the traction control. I am in the process of building a kit that will be wired into an upfitter switch to disable TCC when needed. There is nothing worse than needing some wheel speed and having the computer limit you.

Stangr8cr

Reaction score
Based on track results today I agree.

But I am not sure why.

Do you have anything more specific as far as the mechanics?

It's just wheel speed really, if the tires dead hook, you have to make up some momentum but if there is some wheel speed and then hook, you've got less momentum to make up. If you watch some NHRA stuff in slow motion, you'll see what I'm talking about.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Only time I have issues when advance trac control is off is when im on ice or snow and rpm's hit the limiter or when it tries to shift cuz it doesn't shift fast enough or its a combination of both the limiter and a shift at the same time. Almost kills the truck.. if I ease into it then it will spin all the way through the gears till it hits the speed limiter.

live life full throttle

strokersmoker

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
It's just wheel speed really, if the tires dead hook, you have to make up some momentum but if there is some wheel speed and then hook, you've got less momentum to make up. If you watch some NHRA stuff in slow motion, you'll see what I'm talking about.

So it is the same concept as sled pulling as far as wheel speed and track speed.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I hate to say it but I think he's right. The only way I have been able to fully disable the traction control is to unplug a sensor or be in 4 low. I haven't tried the abs fuse but I can verify that unplugging a sensor will completely disable the traction control. I am in the process of building a kit that will be wired into an upfitter switch to disable TCC when needed. There is nothing worse than needing some wheel speed and having the computer limit you.

hey if hes right thats great. but mine runs fine without it.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
If advance trac really won't fully disengage, then how are we able to do dyno pulls?

I know on mine (a job2 '12), we had to hit the button and hold it to disable, then do the pulls and all the advance trac & abs warning lights would come on, but it pulled they dyno just fine.

How is that any different than doing a burnout?

Last edited:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
If advance trac really won't fully disengage, then how are we able to do dyno pulls?

I know on mine (a job2 '12), we had to hit the button and hold it to disable, then do the pulls and all the advance trac & abs warning lights would come on, but it pulled they dyno just fine.

How is that any different than doing a burnout?

the lights only come on because the computer can only go so long without seeing the front wheels move.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I know my truck with the locker engauged it wont let you get very sideways but it will let you do a full burnout, i havent really need the locker to make it spin both but still.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I know my truck with the locker engauged it wont let you get very sideways but it will let you do a full burnout, i havent really need the locker to make it spin both but still.
For the most part both mine spin too.. I dont have the spe full lock kit so the fuggin trac control reactivates and kills the burnout. But yeah ive only seen a one wheel peel a time or two while playing in the snow.

live life full throttle

Latest posts