Canadian play/drag truck build

devdiesel

Reaction score
Well after this weekend I guess I better bring this thread back up, haven't posted in a while.

Made a couple changes the end of last year and lots more this spring.

I'll get to the fun part first, I'm super happy to say we managed to take the 12.0 class win on Friday at TS and it was an all ford final!
Had to really pull back on a lot of things to not break out but it was super consistent once I got the suspension dialed in. In the semis I ran a 12.036 and the finals a 12.044

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devdiesel

Reaction score
7ed9552c449517f8384ece7e5de5349f.jpg

devdiesel

Reaction score
Now I'll get to the details, last fall we swapped the converter out for a true 2200-2400 precision converter which really woke the truck up. Over the winter I changed up the gate setup quite a bit and am running an ams 500 boost controller with co2 (makes 40ish on spring and 46ish with top pressure normally)
41e620206a2aa0678f3395e06f1963bf.jpg

devdiesel

Reaction score
Another big leap we made thanks to Robby was a 16" wheel slick conversion with backdated brakes, these Bogart wheels are beautiful and I'm just starting to figure out their potential...little comparison to the drag radial on it last year lol (390/40/17)
5458410a9f9accc0fb79db768f0b50ad.jpg
d2892825e6cae958df988337ded18ac8.jpg

devdiesel

Reaction score
At that point we went to Rudys spring and ran decent, no spray but made it to the second round of eliminations in the 7.70 class and broke out with a 7.50.. It was at this point we realized the suspension was the limitation

devdiesel

Reaction score
Out back I notched the frame, out in a full bump stop, cut off the stock shock mounts and made my own upper hoop
f2f8589647c1d2175b79641b0afabeb3.jpg
e70bf35932a129fb9ca799538ccf16be.jpg

devdiesel

Reaction score
To finish the bed off I cut the floor out, remade the structure with thin wall 1"X1" box tubing then covered it all with aluminum panels that can be removed easily to work on the chassis
39031d91efaad36f09903de66f17408d.jpg

devdiesel

Reaction score
I had all this done two weeks ago and put a few miles on it and everything seemed great! Then Wednesday night I was testing a couple things and the converter locked up.. Wouldn't come out of lockup.. The guy who built my trans luckily had a random converter on the shelf that he was told was "built" lol. with out other options we ripped the trans out, swapped converters and changed fluid/ pan filter. Got it back together drove it around the block at 11 and loaded it in the trailer. Off to TS at 5am the next morning! Ha

devdiesel

Reaction score
So with untested suspension, and a random ass converter in it we went racing, converter actually worked great once everything got settled in, it's insane how responsive the afco's are to a couple clicks here and their.

So moving forward I'm going to send the precision converter back to get fixed then we'll head to the local track. We're still running on a 1.7ms tune and I used a .052 jet coming in at 7s to dial in the time.

with a little tuning of the launch and more spray it's defiantly a low 11's truck (I'd love to break 10's)

But all in all I'm very happy with the truck, motor has never skipped a beat (thanks Morgan!) and I drive it to work every day

Certainly wasn't expecting to win anything this weekend so that was amazing, just glad we put a Ford up top for once !

Matt

Reaction score
Looks great! How much weight/if any do you think you saved by cutting up the bed?

devdiesel

Reaction score
It's just under 6000 lbs now, I weighed it on my friends grain scale. 5950 with the Harley wheels on it, 3500 upfront, 2500 out back

devdiesel

Reaction score
Has anyone else had a problem with their precision converter stick locked up? I was talking to another guy at the track and had the same symptoms.

When you put it in drive it would pull it right down then rom would bounce back up when it unlocked. Or when you came to a stop it would stay locked until line pressure came up and forced it to unlock. If you were hard on the throttle it worked fine .

Defiantly the converter, all the issues went away when it was swapped out