Canadian play/drag truck build

Kind

Reaction score
Truck looks good!

Sent from my subconscious to your screen.

devdiesel

Reaction score
Well I was able to put a couple 100kms on it this week without any problems, truck was running amazing... Until today... It's a holiday for us today so I was heading to the gym early, truck was running perfect then all the sudden it started missing, lost power and was smoking white like crazy, I got it stopped and shut off quick. Won't restart now bit will crank over and smoke white out the tail pipe good, fluid levels all show fine, hasn't gained any oil... I need a better scan tool so I'm gonna look into that today (any suggestions is appreciated).. No codes.. Lp pump is fine and constant and 9psi at the regulator... For the moment I've ruled out Piston failure, it didn't blow oil anywhere and on the likewire it's asking for 35kpa and it's only showing 5...so I'm thinking an injector is hung wide open based on the amount of white smoke... My thought is just buy a set of injectors since their original and see? Any suggestions is appreciated as always

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
what is rail pressure while cranking? my thought is a hung injector also...

devdiesel

Reaction score
Sry that was the 35kpa and 5,i talked to a buddy who's a Ford mechanic and he says if an injector is hung open it won't build rail pressure cause it's all going to that cylinder... What you think? I have a new hpfp sitting in the bag new which I could put in but I had hoped to put it out front..

sootie

Reaction score
Sry that was the 35kpa and 5,i talked to a buddy who's a Ford mechanic and he says if an injector is hung open it won't build rail pressure cause it's all going to that cylinder... What you think? I have a new hpfp sitting in the bag new which I could put in but I had hoped to put it out front..

got it. that is the pressure mine makes at idle (if i converted it right it should be near 5k psi). **on edit 35 kpa is 5k psi so you are way low when cranking**

do you have access to IDS? a power balance test would show you what cylinder to look at.

the two times i have been in a truck when the hpfp went out, it didnt miss or smoke. one of them wouldnt turn over a certain rpm and the other would just crank and not build any pressure

devdiesel

Reaction score
Ya 35 is roughly 5000 psi, 5 is only like 800... I need to get ids, it would be handy for work with our service trucks anyways... With the white smoke though that means it's getting fuel from the pump I'd think, and it's not gaining oil from what I can tell

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Zero codes

Ive had 4 hpfp failures in personal trucks. With any custom tunes I would not get any codes either. What mine did was they would make the truck surge and then the idle would sound like a big block with a huge cam.

The next one seemed to have no power at all and when monitoring rp it would bounce around almost 2-3k while driving

Another one was running fine and did the exact same thing as you are describing, smoke etc. Sounded like an injector letting go at first with a bad miss. Truck eventually died in our parking lot.It would crank and do nothing, never try to fire etc. Put it on a scanner and it had hardly any frp while cranking.

The last and most recent one would idle and have a slight studder bouncing about 1000 rpm and would break up when it was under a load and almost made the truck feel like it trans was shift flaring.

Im sure there are a lot of opinions but what I regret the most is when I had the first hpfp go out I did not replace the injectors. I feel like that not replacing injectors let the material stay in the injectors thus repeating a cycle of there always being metal in the fuel system, and it eventually ended up knocking out another hpfp in less then 1k miles. Most definitely replace injectors if you do the hpfp

devdiesel

Reaction score
Thanks for the input Airfish and after talking to a few people and thinking about it I'm just gonna pull the cab, and put the new hpfp I have, new lines and a full set of injectors in it, I don't want to do things again, looking back I should have done that in the beginning but it has run so well I didn't even think about it... I'm still surprised it kicked the bucket so quick... But at the same time everything went TOO well so I was waiting for something to go wrong

devdiesel

Reaction score
Well I pulled the cab last night and tore it apart, my findings were not good.. Pulled passenger side valve cover and found a valve spring sitting their on it's side and the rocker broken and wedged against the injector body.. Pulled the injector and I can see the pistons smashed all to hell... The material from the Piston also made it up to the hot side of the hp turbo and trashed it. So from what I can see the spring keeper either broke or wasn't installed property and it dropped a valve, then smacked up the injector which filled it with fuel... Not the quick fix I was hoping for but nothing I can do or could have done at the time... Thankfully it wasn't on a built motor.

So looking forward it obviously won't be making it to TS so well just be down to watch, I'll definitely have it back together for schieds though.. I've already had a talk with Morgan and it looks like I'm gonna get him to build me a complete motor dressed to the valve cover that I can just drop in, I'm gonna add a set of R&R rods and ported heads to the build also probably along with all new rockers, injectors and hpfp

sootie

Reaction score
holy *** dude!

at least it wasn't on good pistons

i assume the head is trashed?

nows ur chance for dual fuelers :poke:

devdiesel

Reaction score
Ya non of the new motor parts went in it yet thankfully, I didn't even bother pulling the head, no point until I have another motor to drop in but I have the set of heads that came off of the motor before which Morgan will go through and build.... And yes it will probably get the second pump and nozzels when it goes back together Lol, might as well, I already have the kit on the shelf

Latest posts

Members online