cknox121's slow build

Cknox121

Reaction score
So, started the truck after it's been sitting for ~2 weeks. Notice the tensioner rattle was gone until it ran for about 1-2 mins. Let it sit another 2 days, started it and the noise didn't start again till 1-2mins after running. Any ideas on why that is?

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

Cknox121

Reaction score
Update- changed the other idler pulley to the 100mm one. Rattles gone for anyone battling the same thing.

Next will be a suspension upgrade. Trying to decide on either the Carli Pintop with Kings or the Carli BackCountry. Truck sees 75% highway 25% off road.

Anyone have either and opinions?

Black AOD

Reaction score
Update- changed the other idler pulley to the 100mm one. Rattles gone for anyone battling the same thing.

Next will be a suspension upgrade. Trying to decide on either the Carli Pintop with Kings or the Carli BackCountry. Truck sees 75% highway 25% off road.

Rode in a 6.7 which had just a basic front leveling kit. Rode Awesome for something so simple. For the price If i were you, I'd just get the 2.0 Commuter.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Rode in a 6.7 which had just a basic front leveling kit. Rode Awesome for something so simple. For the price If i were you, I'd just get the 2.0 Commuter.

Not really concerned with the price. I don't mind paying for quality.

Black AOD

Reaction score
Not really concerned with the price. I don't mind paying for quality.

I hear you there, I think the same way. If you want the best ride, go with the pintop 2.5 with the Kings. Best kit they have before going to coilover kits.

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score

BlackSmoke08 was referring to my 6.7 with the Carli leveling kit w/ 5100 Bilsteins (rides better than his fox's LOL). I don't think you can go wrong with anything Carli makes. I have their leveling kit springs & track bar, Bilstein 5100s, OUO ALAs, and OUO Track bar joint. Rides so much better than stock and I definetely take it off road up haul roads and big excavation cuts. I would say for a majority of street driving the Carli BackCountry would be more than enough.

Cknox121

Reaction score
I hear you there, I think the same way. If you want the best ride, go with the pintop 2.5 with the Kings. Best kit they have before going to coilover kits.

What the general consensus is.

BlackSmoke08 was referring to my 6.7 with the Carli leveling kit w/ 5100 Bilsteins (rides better than his fox's LOL). I don't think you can go wrong with anything Carli makes. I have their leveling kit springs & track bar, Bilstein 5100s, OUO ALAs, and OUO Track bar joint. Rides so much better than stock and I definetely take it off road up haul roads and big excavation cuts. I would say for a majority of street driving the Carli BackCountry would be more than enough.

But the pin top comes with KiNGs!

Not buying nothing immediately. Still want to talk to some more people and read some more reviews.

sootie

Reaction score
seriously-if you are planning on staying on the pavement, go with the backcountry kit full leaf upgrades and custom valved fox's. I don't think there is a better riding kit out there...

the pin top is good but more geared for off road.

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
seriously-if you are planning on staying on the pavement, go with the backcountry kit full leaf upgrades and custom valved fox's. I don't think there is a better riding kit out there...

the pin top is good but more geared for off road.
x2

Sent from a mountain top in Appalachia

Reaction score
I just replaced a set of 5160s ( only lasted 30k miles of pure pavement) with a set of Carli Fox 2.0s. I've only driven about 300 miles. First impression: very soft. they definitely do a good job of keeping the springs tame. but i think the weight of these behemoths really put a hurting on these smaller 2.0 shocks.

The 5160's experienced no leaks or sign of failure but when i broke the upper nuts loose - they sank all the way down :-(.

I think its been mentioned on this board before - these truck would really benefit from a 2.5 shock, IMO. I just could'n't justify spending $2500 on a set after seeing the failures of the 5160s. If these Fox shocks last a bit longer, I'll probably consider upgrading. Although I don't off-road my truck I spend a lot of time driving in pot-hole ridden roads.

Cknox121

Reaction score
I just replaced a set of 5160s ( only lasted 30k miles of pure pavement) with a set of Carli Fox 2.0s. I've only driven about 300 miles. First impression: very soft. they definitely do a good job of keeping the springs tame. but i think the weight of these behemoths really put a hurting on these smaller 2.0 shocks.

The 5160's experienced no leaks or sign of failure but when i broke the upper nuts loose - they sank all the way down :-(.

I think its been mentioned on this board before - these truck would really benefit from a 2.5 shock, IMO. I just could'n't justify spending $2500 on a set after seeing the failures of the 5160s. If these Fox shocks last a bit longer, I'll probably consider upgrading. Although I don't off-road my truck I spend a lot of time driving in pot-hole ridden roads.

Heard that a 2.5 would better suited for such a heavy truck.

I like my 2.0s so far my 5160s were junk when I took them off too. I'll continue with fox or kings

Thank!

97stoker350

Reaction score
I'm talking on my 97
I know completely different but still they made a huge difference with a leaf spring lift. My dad's 2010 has stock shocks and the rear end of his jumps all over the road and requires alot of steering correction after hitting a bad bump. My 97 with leafs is night and day as fair as handling. Still a very stiff ride but doesn't jump and hop when I hit a bump

Cknox121

Reaction score
So another issue that has been annoying me...engine noise is over whelming in the cab. By that I mean intake. Only notice it at ~15 psi and greater. Would a box type intake help with this? Obviously keep the no limit for racing. Thinking a S&B? Or should I try to build some sort of box around the no limit?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
So another issue that has been annoying me...engine noise is over whelming in the cab. By that I mean intake. Only notice it at ~15 psi and greater. Would a box type intake help with this? Obviously keep the no limit for racing. Thinking a S&B? Or should I try to build some sort of box around the no limit?

build a box that removes easily ? ive noticed on my green truck with modded turbos its a lot louder than my 08 with stock turbos . i was thinking maybe lay some extra dynamat on the firewall right there. i believe the mod turbos are MUCH louder .

Cknox121

Reaction score
build a box that removes easily ? ive noticed on my green truck with modded turbos its a lot louder than my 08 with stock turbos . i was thinking maybe lay some extra dynamat on the firewall right there. i believe the mod turbos are MUCH louder .

Exactly. If you could build a removable box, yeah that would be great

I do plan on doing a full sound deadener install soon. Maybe over the winter. Should help tremendously with outside noises.

I run my s&b Dailey because the open element filter is so loud

That's my plan. I think it would be fine for DD'ing. Change it to the open element for towing/racing.