Hydroboost Conversion Done

Peroni

Reaction score
So I'm not real impressed with my hydroboost conversion so far. Yes the brakes are way better, but the pedal is pretty hard to where if my wife had to drive the truck I don't think she could press the pedal. Most of the other hydroboost systems I have driven are much softer of a pedal. Mine is hard from first touch of the brake. Thoughts?

Had the very same problem at first. It was air in the system and it's a bitch to get it all out. Found a Ford service bulletin which helped. Put the front end on jack stands, start and rev motor up to 1500rpm and turn wheel lock to lock several times while pumping the brake pedal. Worked for me and no problems since. My girlfriend occasionally drives the truck and has no problem stopping it with the hyroboost and it's firmer pedal input.

Got4wd

Reaction score
Had the very same problem at first. It was air in the system and it's a bitch to get it all out. Found a Ford service bulletin which helped. Put the front end on jack stands, start and rev motor up to 1500rpm and turn wheel lock to lock several times while pumping the brake pedal. Worked for me and no problems since. My girlfriend occasionally drives the truck and has no problem stopping it with the hyroboost and it's firmer pedal input.

I did try that and didn't really change. My pump is growling pretty bad so A) I have air in the system or B) I have a bad pump. I leaning towards a bad pump since the one I got from ford isn't not actually a "ford" pump. All ford pumps I have seen are stamped with the ford logo on the front of the pump. I went to summit last night and picked up a AGR pump. It's marked ford on the pump just like the one I pulled off my truck. I'm gonna give that a shot tomorrow after work.

glovemeister

Reaction score
Got my hydroboost stuff in. I think I got the wrong MC. It doesn't appear to have any provision for a cruise control application. I didn't clarify that when I bought it, but I should have.

Got4wd

Reaction score
Anyone have a picture of which way the arm is mounted to the pedal? One way it mounts and you can use the nylon washer on the outside. If you flip it around the washer doesn't fit.

Got4wd

Reaction score
Here is the differences in the pedals. F450 F350 This is why the arm doesn't fit correctly on the f250-350 pedals. So for people that saying the pedal is the same, it is NOT! To correctly do hydroboost on a obs, better get the pedal too!

A30-C063678156F3-3004-00000166B1C8A385_zps4c07766b.jpg

612-66B41398CBB3-3004-00000166BC7DA094_zps4bbdd932.jpg

94F-0D824B7645D5-3004-00000166B7975628_zps0f9169b8.jpg

C5263FB7-C105-40B8-8F0E-7DB79207298C-3004-00000166C1B6054B_zps3296700e.jpg

451BDB2C-F62F-4EDD-BC63-FC968CE54336-3004-00000166C6EC6C55_zps1c593c8e.jpg

Tom S

Reaction score
Very nice photos. That makes it clear there is a pretty big difference in the amount of force multiplication the pedal provides between the two. I bet that helps with the hard pedal after the hydroboost conversion.

Got4wd

Reaction score
Very nice photos. That makes it clear there is a pretty big difference in the amount of force multiplication the pedal provides between the two. I bet that helps with the hard pedal after the hydroboost conversion.

Your right! I installed it tonight and took it for a drive. The pedal is night and day difference. You can actually feel the pedal be a little soft before it gets hard again from applying the brakes. ( if that makes sense) Before it was rock hard. I'm liking this conversion much better than before and plan on keeping it now. Now if I can find out why after 2 pumps it's still whining. I'm gonna try Mobil 1 first and if that doesn't work, I am going to put my old pump on. That didn't whine at all. I'm thinking air in the system still. I can feel the vibration on the hose coming from the pump to the hydro unit. I have tried a couple different bleeding procedures and still the same. The flow rate going back to the pump is nice and no foaming in the reservoir. Hmmmm

And I did clean up the pedal so it was ok to bolt to my truck. No way could it go in like that. Lol

Peroni

Reaction score
Here is the differences in the pedals. F450 F350 This is why the arm doesn't fit correctly on the f250-350 pedals. So for people that saying the pedal is the same, it is NOT! To correctly do hydroboost on a obs, better get the pedal too!

The stock pedal on my F350 measures the same as the F450 pedal in your pics. :confused: Pedal rod fit on it with no problems and is nice and straight going into the booster.

Got4wd

Reaction score
The stock pedal on my F350 measures the same as the F450 pedal in your pics. :confused: Pedal rod fit on it with no problems and is nice and straight going into the booster.

Really? Well I have no idea then. All the f350 and 250s I have measured have been what I posted. The lower pin on the pedal. I measured from the center line on the pivot. You did too?

old man dave

Reaction score
Your right! I installed it tonight and took it for a drive. The pedal is night and day difference. You can actually feel the pedal be a little soft before it gets hard again from applying the brakes. ( if that makes sense) Before it was rock hard. I'm liking this conversion much better than before and plan on keeping it now. Now if I can find out why after 2 pumps it's still whining. I'm gonna try Mobil 1 first and if that doesn't work, I am going to put my old pump on. That didn't whine at all. I'm thinking air in the system still. I can feel the vibration on the hose coming from the pump to the hydro unit. I have tried a couple different bleeding procedures and still the same. The flow rate going back to the pump is nice and no foaming in the reservoir. Hmmmm

And I did clean up the pedal so it was ok to bolt to my truck. No way could it go in like that. Lol

Have you tried using synthetic Trans fluid? Or is that what Mobil I is?

Got4wd

Reaction score
Have you tried using synthetic Trans fluid? Or is that what Mobil I is?

Not yet. I'm going to try that before pulling the pump. Everything is new and it should be this loud. I was told to use friction modifier but haven't searched the net for that truck yet. It's just the pump line that makes all the noise. And it's really bad. Agr even built this pump but from what I read its a crap shoot on these things.

Peroni

Reaction score
Really? Well I have no idea then. All the f350 and 250s I have measured have been what I posted. The lower pin on the pedal. I measured from the center line on the pivot. You did too?
Yup I measured c to c. Has part # F5TZ-2455-DA stamped on it. I've no explanation as to why it's there, my truck seems to have been assembled from a mix bag of parts. Could explain why the vac boosted brakes never felt right?

I know the F Superduty pedal is no longer available. For those going forward with the swap, does anyone know if a SD pedal will work?

old man dave

Reaction score
It doesn't seem difficult to machine a new pin, drill another hole in the F-250 pedal assembly and bolt the new pin into place. That's what I think I'll try when I install the hydroboost stuff into my truck. But I get free machining services from a buddy....

Latest posts

Members online