If you had to do your build all over...,

TARM

Reaction score
Knowing what I know now I would have picked up an extra block to build onto. Left my truck at a basic level with stuff that would carry over very easily and gone with a properly built bottom end from the start.

Done the fuel and exhaust and things easy to do without much effort. Then everything else on the built engine while it was out. During that time while it was being built I would have purchased the tuning software and learned and practiced all I could on my basic stock setup so I would have as good of a foundation as possible before I got to my final engine setup. Also during that waiting period I would have gotten the rest of the system up to proper level. BTS trans of course. relocated batteries to rear. upgraded hubs, brakes etc..

I would have gone straight to a compound setup as that is what I always wanted from the getgo. Proper boost controler and wastegate setups. In the end I think I would not have spent to much more money and had already been at that level which I am still 10-15K away from at present.

03ranger30

Reaction score
I would have probably waited till I made more money. Once you start it's hard to stop and it's at the point now where everything is very expensive.

Jomax

Reaction score
175\30%, 38r. Fuel system and supporting mods. And be done lol. That's what is on the dually. And my other truck won't be getting much more.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
175\30%, 38r. Fuel system and supporting mods. And be done lol. That's what is on the dually. And my other truck won't be getting much more.

Not a bad setup. I did 410 completely smokefree with 175/80s, 38r, and stock fuel/oil. If I had my fuel system and srp1.1 I think it would have been closer to 440-450.

Jomax

Reaction score
Not a bad setup. I did 410 completely smokefree with 175/80s, 38r, and stock fuel/oil. If I had my fuel system and srp1.1 I think it would have been closer to 440-450.

Its pretty much as fast as a tuned 6.0. Which for a DD is fast enough. .

But without all the 6.0 issues!

Blue Line Fab

Reaction score
Good thread.

I already have the following.
-S467
-Gearhead's stage 1 cam.
-Ported heads with up graded springs and push rods.
-Forged short.
-Head studs.
-Main studs.
-Built trans.

Here is the set up I am thinking about going with.
-250/200's
-BTS dual HPOP's
-Dual SD fuel pumps and a return system.

But after reading this thread.
I'm thinking.
-250/100's.
-A single aftermarket HPOP.

The truck is my daily driver and used for towing.
Guess I will let you guys know what I would change next year when it done!!!

TyCorr

Reaction score
:rockon:
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1043&showall=1

They only run 400-450 tuned.

hmmm....I was following some builds and it seemed like 500 was the new norm for tuned 6l. Maybe that was taking for granted a powermax. Just like a 238/80 is a 500hp injector now, not 425hp. With a turbo of course.

What do you think you make? I didnt look, admittedly, but what charger are you running?

Jomax

Reaction score
:rockon:

hmmm....I was following some builds and it seemed like 500 was the new norm for tuned 6l. Maybe that was taking for granted a powermax. Just like a 238/80 is a 500hp injector now, not 425hp. With a turbo of course.

What do you think you make? I didnt look, admittedly, but what charger are you running?

I'm running a stocker with a ported housing ATM. 38r with a WW2 is coming really soon.

Just with the ported housing, it does amazing. Call me crazy, but I think the ported housing with the stock wheel does better than a WW2 in a stock turbo. The truck weights 8600lbs while at the strip, so the 14.5sec in the qtr isn't to shabby. I think I'm in the 400-440 range

TyCorr

Reaction score
I'm running a stocker with a ported housing ATM. 38r with a WW2 is coming really soon.

Just with the ported housing, it does amazing. Call me crazy, but I think the ported housing with the stock wheel does better than a WW2 in a stock turbo. The truck weights 8600lbs while at the strip, so the 14.5sec in the qtr isn't to shabby. I think I'm in the 400-440 range

Thats definitely an interesting point. I really did NOT think a stock turbo could huff anymore than 400ish hp on a really good day. Good job!

Ivd always liked your truck. Youve made good steps.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Thats definitely an interesting point. I really did NOT think a stock turbo could huff anymore than 400ish hp on a really good day. Good job!

ported housing and a 66 wheel makes it pretty much the same as a 38r. minus the ball bearings..

TyCorr

Reaction score
ported housing and a 66 wheel makes it pretty much the same as a 38r. minus the ball bearings..

How do you know thats what hes got. It just says "ported housing" in his signature. That could mean anything.

I understand though. And there were the vantard guys too that were telling everyone that a vanturbo with a 66mm wheel was "better" than a 38r. But the turbo builders I talked to laughed when I laid the comparison in front of them. Im convinced a 38r is pretty hard to beat. Trumped only by a 68mm anything. But thats possible too!

Anyway Jomax has a sweet setup, thats for darn sure.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
How do you know thats what hes got. It just says "ported housing" in his signature. That could mean anything.

I understand though. And there were the vantard guys too that were telling everyone that a vanturbo with a 66mm wheel was "better" than a 38r. But the turbo builders I talked to laughed when I laid the comparison in front of them. Im convinced a 38r is pretty hard to beat. Trumped only by a 68mm anything. But thats possible too!

Anyway Jomax has a sweet setup, thats for darn sure.

only thing I could see better with a van turbo is that it has a slightly bigger exhaust turbine. be great for a stock appearing turbo for street stock pulls by me..

TyCorr

Reaction score
only thing I could see better with a van turbo is that it has a slightly bigger exhaust turbine. be great for a stock appearing turbo for street stock pulls by me..

Yea...but thats it...idk...everyone takes "better" differently.

Derail over, lol

Jomax

Reaction score

Thank you for the compliment! I will be doing a dyno day with my local powerstroke forum AZ and see what it does. I will say it runs as good if not a bit better than my uncles tuned 6.0. I really am shocked how these little injectors do. Sucker will hold 55 with no issue up a 6% grade towing 16k. Only thing holding me back is EGT's.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Thank you for the compliment! I will be doing a dyno day with my local powerstroke forum AZ and see what it does. I will say it runs as good if not a bit better than my uncles tuned 6.0. I really am shocked how these little injectors do. Sucker will hold 55 with no issue up a 6% grade towing 16k. Only thing holding me back is EGT's.

take it out of od and I bet it wont get above 1000° in tgat scenario.

bruce

Reaction score
Good thread.

I already have the following.
-S467
-Gearhead's stage 1 cam.
-Ported heads with up graded springs and push rods.
-Forged short.
-Head studs.
-Main studs.
-Built trans.

Here is the set up I am thinking about going with.
-250/200's
-BTS dual HPOP's
-Dual SD fuel pumps and a return system.

But after reading this thread.
I'm thinking.
-250/100's.
-A single aftermarket HPOP.

The truck is my daily driver and used for towing.
Guess I will let you guys know what I would change next year when it done!!!

for a non billet rod dd i'd stay with an 80% nozzle on either a 175 a code or 238 hybrid with a 38r and smoke free tunes

Latest posts

Members online