Kc 1.5 or 2 (stock sticks)

sootie

Reaction score
Yea i also find it hard to believe that one time smoked it. 6.4 flexplate and 5r going in tonight, will see what happens. It was a complete joke to get more than 5-6# to try and launch

I believe you may need to buy a flexplate that is purposely designed for that conversion, or else you will have balance issues. You can't just stick a six four flexplate in a six oh as far as i know.

slc6oh

Reaction score
If im reading right, engine is internally balanced, and flex is itself balanced, so no issues with oneanother.

Mdub707

Reaction score
You just need to have the proper torque converter and flex plate combo, from my understanding. So you can use a 6.4 converter, if you have a 6.4 flex plate. Though they may offer flex plates that are drilled for both now, but don't hold me to that. I broke a flex plate in mine once, but put another OEM one back in.

I know you're at a higher elevation, but I can't imagine that making this big of a difference. What is your elevation there? I'm relatively low where I'm at, but I'm shocked it's that much different for you. I can try and get a vid of mine spooling on the brakes too.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Well got my 6.4 flex plate to go with my used 6.4 trans i picked up today for 600$, on that 600$ trans came a 1400$ precision tripple disc converter. Lol 1600 stall, Whitch is lower than id like, but cant act any worse than stock..going together with it now.

sootie

Reaction score
Sounds like a great deal....that 1600 stall is gonna kill you.

sootie

Reaction score
It is a good converter. Wouldn't cost much to get it restalled if required...

slc6oh

Reaction score
Well trans is in, runs drives, all seems well. definately a lower stall, "loads up" alot more just putting it into drive..ill check with gh tomorrow and have any tune adjustments that may/could possibly be needed taken care of. But as of now at least im back in business.

sootie

Reaction score
Isnt stock like 1600? Or 18?

stock on a six four is 1800 but most leading brand converter companies like precision, suncoast, dpc etc have an option to order 1600 stall.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Keep us updated on how it runs with the new tranny and converter.

I agree with mdub that 80mph seems pretty high for 2000rpms. Do you know what gear ratio you have? Have you had your speedo adjusted?

slc6oh

Reaction score
17-1800 is a out where it starts to come into power in od.

Then i could take the space shuttle camping with me lol

Mdub707

Reaction score
I almost wonder if your stock converter was on it's way out when you put the 362 on and that was causing your spool issues. That mph at that RPM still bugs me too, since we have the same gear ratio and same tire sizes.

slc6oh

Reaction score
well, went on a 250mi round trip to take my core trans back.

as said above this lower stall is definitely NOT what the 62 needs....
I don't know **** about converters, but if I had to describe it, id call it too tight. trying to go faster than normal off a stop is embarrasingly smokey.

also, I don't know if its the converter or what but definitely drags the engine down when in drive just sitting here on the brake. Definitely harder to stop in stop-and-go traffic.

Looking like I'm going to prob be looking for an oem converter. Hopefully sell the PI unit and make It out not poor.

trans though, shifts smooth, all seems good. But with my luck, I'm not holding my breath on it staying good for long.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
You described it perfectly. A lower stall will feel "tighter", a higher stall will feel "looser".

You might just try a looser stall converter. It will basically do the opposite of what you just experienced. The non-vgt turbos really need the higher rpms to get going. So a looser stall will "kind of" slip a little more off the line helping you to get into the higher rpms quicker to find the sweet spot of the turbo.

The converter stall WILL NOT help towing at 1800rpms. Once the converter is "locked" then the stall does not matter anymore. You could try changing gears to make 70mph hit at 2000rpms so you don't have to tow at 80mph.

slc6oh

Reaction score
I'm HORRIBLE at watching my tach/speedo lol. cruising at 70-75 today I was iirc 18/1900 rpm. Turbo is right there (even up hill).. slow down to 55-65, and maintain on perfectly flat is all you can do in od. the slightest increase in throttle and it starts to get smokey.. fall off the turbo up a windey canyon with a 65mph speedlimit by slowing down to 60 and I make both lanes in each direction vanish before it decides to downshift. runs in direct locked for a min, then right back to od/smokey. that was frustrating. till I decided a 5mph over speeding ticket wouldn't be that much and just ran at 70 haha (no ticket/trouble though up/down that canyon either direction) ... It was MUCH better before the new converter/trans. . weighing my options on having the converter re-stalled to at or slightly higher than stock, then going from there (for my now worse in town drivability)

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
Try getting the convertor you have, Re stalled to 2200 and report back. Don't sell a good converter to put a stock on in...

slc6oh

Reaction score
Try getting the convertor you have, Re stalled to 2200 and report back. Don't sell a good converter to put a stock on in...

Thats where im at and i agree. Just gets frustrating. Especially trans/converter stuff. I do engines all day. Put a trans/converter combo in front if me and Im as lost as a bernie supporter at a job interview. Lol,

Think its just a tight converter that makes it bring the idle down like that? Nothing crazy bad but it noticeably harder to keep it stopped at a light.