Looking at a project

kdogg85

Reaction score
My 07 got trashed by a log truck. I have been looking around and want another 6.0 truck. I'm going in the morning to look at an 05 ccsb 4wd xlt with a spun main, guy says the truck is in vgc minus the motor, wants $4500 for it. It has 215k for miles.

This is a good thing for me as the rotating assembly will need replaced for what I want to do.

I want to go the true twin turbo route and give it a shot. Before anyone gripes, my money, my time, but I am open to suggestions. My budget is 45k for everything give or take 5k.

The have to haves, no questions asked will be the following

Headers, sheet metal intakes, big oil, locker in rear, tru trac in front, 4 link all around, 4r or lenco tranny.

I have a local foundry that can cast, forge, mill anything I want out of what I want and flaw check. I am thinking if possible, having new heads made and do something useful with the airways. Plus, having them make the crank, rods, pistons, and flywheel if I install a lenco.

Questions on the heads, can I make up the width limitations of the intake runners with height(cathedral ports) and how exactly are the oil rails laid out internally? Trying to think of the big things that need the most attention. I can have longer pushrods and valves made, no big deal there.

For fuel, looks like 350's I have been told are the biggest conventionals, would that be enough fuel to do the job? Toomuch03 has another suggestion, it looks very promising if possible, especially for what I'm planning, but I'll leave that for him to speak on if he wants.

And what about the block, would it really need filled somewhat? Never seen that beyond full comp use, so bear with me.

The turbos will be nonvgts of some sort and I will be doing my own fab work.

This will be a DD, weekend warrior just like my 07 was. I want something different that will chit it and get it. Thanks in advance guys.

kdogg85

Reaction score
I'll get with the foundry first, these guys do superb work. 10k is steep, period. They look like they would do some good. Thanks for the link.

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out why those heads cost 10k... I wish they were more of an option for the average person but that price tag is ridiculous

Really wish someone would try them though so we can see how they do lol

Sent from a Cummins plant, driving a TDI, wishing it was a Powerstroke

Extended Power

Reaction score
They seem to show everything but the exhaust side and exhaust ports.

They have to sell a lot of them before the price comes down...

At least these have full water jackets...the first ones didn't.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
They seem to show everything but the exhaust side and exhaust ports.

They have to sell a lot of them before the price comes down...

At least these have full water jackets...the first ones didn't.

the machine work is also sub par...

sootie

Reaction score
Based on what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

based on the fact that they dont line up and if they do, they dont seal. there is a whole thread on them but i cant seem to find it.
aren't these the empire performance rejects?

sleeps

Reaction score
Skip the Lenco if you want a dd/strip truck

Have you driven a Lenco on the street? They are excellent and a ton of fun, just expensive. Driving a clutch has a learning curve on a turbo car but its a learning process worth going through. And you can change your gear ratios very easily.

But with your budget and goals a Lenco is still out, unless you can find a used one. Then there will still be custom parts to be made for your truck. And lencos are not automatic, you need a Bruno drive or you will be pulling and pushing levers. If you are fine with that then cool. If not, a Bruno/Lenco setup even used will eat up near 1/3 to 1/2 of your budget. Lenco alone will probably be around 25% of your budget. About the same as one of the top notch 5r's. Maybe a bit more.

If you don't want to run a built 5r or 4r, then I'd suggest a glide or th400 if you want easy maintenance and reliability without fear of breaking it and all the performance, options, and aftermarket support you could wish for.

ford rules

Reaction score
based on the fact that they dont line up and if they do, they dont seal. there is a whole thread on them but i cant seem to find it.
aren't these the empire performance rejects?

This was just brought up again in the 6.4 thread, and once again the end verdict is they were junk.

kdogg85

Reaction score
Never heard of a Bruno drive. My dad has a 5sp lenco in his willys, and it's really nothing to get used too. Only thing that sucks is changing fluid frequently if you don't use the clutch. I do know the price involved with them, and have that figured in plus plenty of wiggle room.

I did pick the truck up this morning, $3500 what I paid. I took the heads off and ran them to the foundry, they said they'll let me know after Christmas on pricing for cast iron, a couple guys there drag race and said unless every pound counts, just use cast iron, you'll never really notice. Made sense to me. We did talk for a couple hours and said to come back Friday and we'll really talk details. Not going to be cheap by any standards, but one off stuff never is.

I will drop the crank, rods, and pistons off later, when I get the motor tore completely down. Back to work, to get the drivetrain out and strip the firewall, gonna rework that as well.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Bruno drive is a converter drive for the Lenco

There is a whole set up for sale on comp d even with overdrive if you wanting Lenco. But for the street I would run a 4r or 5r

sleeps

Reaction score
Cast iron generally will build more torque. Aluminum will generally build more horsepower. Being a diesel, its well worth the tradeoff to lose a little torque to gain a little horsepower. There is the weight savings too which, in a big head is probably 50-100 pounds difference between 2 heads. Not just the weight but the heat dissipation is huge for aluminum versus cast iron. Which will give you a more dense charge, giving you more power.

Good thing about cast iron though, a lot more resistant to warpage from boost and heat. More reliable.

sootie

Reaction score
Cast iron generally will build more torque. Aluminum will generally build more horsepower. Being a diesel, its well worth the tradeoff to lose a little torque to gain a little horsepower. There is the weight savings too which, in a big head is probably 50-100 pounds difference between 2 heads. Not just the weight but the heat dissipation is huge for aluminum versus cast iron. Which will give you a more dense charge, giving you more power.

Good thing about cast iron though, a lot more resistant to warpage from boost and heat. More reliable.

care to expound how the head material influences hp gain over against tq gain? if they are made to the identical design?

Latest posts

Members online