Madmans build thread

strokethis_06

Reaction score
Think it will hold? Not sure what they are good for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

madman1234509

Reaction score
Haven't seen too many issues with them blowing. We are going to do a pressure drop test in the near future to see how much there is across the cooler. People have run big boost numbers through them. I haven't seen full boost.... working up to it. Hopefully with the bigger manifold and ported heads boost will be down a little from what others see.

strokethis_06

Reaction score
Good to know. Very nice build. Should be a blast to drive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Stroked777

Reaction score
From what I heard the stock IC are pretty stout. They say there isn't much need to upgrade unless you tow a lot to make it worth it

madman1234509

Reaction score
Looking to see what the guys with compound set ups are running for boost reference on the primary gates to bypass the small charger and feed the large one. I dynod yesterday and basically I was 1:1 boost and bp till about 45lbs then boost maxxed at 60 and bp pegged the 100lb gauge. Right now I have regulated boost to the top and bottom vented. Even with the regulator not letting boost to the top the gate barely opens with a 15lb spring. I'm thinking the pressure on the outlet side of the gate, in the intermediate pipe is acting against the valve allowing it to only crack open slightly. Thinking I should add unregulated boost to the bottom?

I unhooked the reference completely and the big charger would light at 15lbs total and then make 45lbs or so. So the gates do function with just the spring, but the small charger is not driven.

Otherwise I can't complain at 15lbs of boost I have 12-13 lbs of bp. At 40 its 1:1 with the gates not opening, and 20 of the total 40 is out of the large turbo

Mdub707

Reaction score
I just read this entire thread today. Awesome build man, too bad I couldn't make the dyno day. Hopefully catch up with you down at TS.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Oh, even with the back pressure issues and me operating the truck (which I've never done before) I managed to put down 911 and maxed their torque reading at 1200, so who knows what that was.... and that was only about 60lbs of boost. On the street I see 80ish. All 3 Runs were over 900hp. 1st run spun the tires on the dyno.

I think with getting the gates dialed in and an experienced operator in the truck we can squeeze some more out of it. Also got my 2nd revision from Matt yesterday which I need to try out, probably makes around the same power though

TXAG07

Reaction score
Sounds like you'll be 1000hp+ once you get the bugs worked out. How well do those 100s clean up so far? Glad this bad boy is up and running. One of my favorite builds on here.

Reaction score
I dynod yesterday and basically I was 1:1 boost and bp till about 45lbs then boost maxxed at 60 and bp pegged the 100lb gauge. Right now I have regulated boost to the top and bottom vented. Even with the regulator not letting boost to the top the gate barely opens with a 15lb spring. I'm thinking the pressure on the outlet side of the gate, in the intermediate pipe is acting against the valve allowing it to only crack open slightly. Thinking I should add unregulated boost to the bottom?

Take some spring out if at all possible. Unregulated boost at the bottom makes the gate way harder to tune because it's constantly changing.

NathannialD

Reaction score
with boost to the top and the side port open all you are doing is forcing the gate shut. you need to run full boost to the side and regulate the top. doing it this way imo the springs dont even matter.

2good2Btru

Reaction score
with boost to the top and the side port open all you are doing is forcing the gate shut. you need to run full boost to the side and regulate the top. doing it this way imo the springs dont even matter.

I did it this way, full boost to the side and regulated boost to the top and had 3 turns on the regulator and could not build more than 10lbs of boost.

Note 3

RSK

Reaction score
Oh, even with the back pressure issues and me operating the truck (which I've never done before) I managed to put down 911 and maxed their torque reading at 1200, so who knows what that was.... and that was only about 60lbs of boost. On the street I see 80ish. All 3 Runs were over 900hp. 1st run spun the tires on the dyno.

I think with getting the gates dialed in and an experienced operator in the truck we can squeeze some more out of it. Also got my 2nd revision from Matt yesterday which I need to try out, probably makes around the same power though

wow congrats on the numbers, looks like you should reach your goal of 1000 to the tire fuel only. any plans to go to lebanon valley anytime soon and get kicked out for no cage.

Reaction score

I agree for the most part. But, if you have to use boost to help open it then you have way too much spring.

And using boost on the bottom port it changes the way it opens during different/partial load scenarios. The only way to tune a dual reference is at wot and it seems to be jumpy during normal driving.

Really everyone makes these way too complicated. All you need to do is have it open and regulate BP wherever you want it set. Boost is irrelevant. The wastegate technically should be all ran off the exhaust pressure but in a diesel the soot causes problems. All your doing is relieving the pressure of one circuit. Once another separately acting pressure circuit is used to control it then it becomes harder to tune.

To each their own.

The op can only make the gate open at a lower pressure two ways,

1-use boost to overcome spring pressure and boost to hold it closed.

2-take some spring pressure out and just use boost to hold it closed for fine adjustment.

Both ways work.

madman1234509

Reaction score
With just the spring in it would begin to open at 10 or 12 lbs. We put unregulated yo the side and it seems to be working. It just rained enough to make the roads too wet to go test more and see if the adjustment works.

Sledpull, the guy that built my truck tuned his gate on his compounded Cummins with drive pressure reference like you mentioned and it works for him pretty well, he just uses an inline filter to help with the soot.

I didn't get a video, I'm hoping someone from the event did and will pop up, but the guy that built it said it cleaned up most of the smoke on the dyno.

As far as Lebanon, I need to make it to TS in one piece and a dyno day in Connecticut the weekend after. Hopefuly sometime this summer once I get some in the truck.

Latest posts

Members online