Madmans build thread

B585Ford

Reaction score
Really everyone makes these way too complicated. All you need to do is have it open and regulate BP wherever you want it set. Boost is irrelevant. The wastegate technically should be all ran off the exhaust pressure but in a diesel the soot causes problems. All your doing is relieving the pressure of one circuit. Once another separately acting pressure circuit is used to control it then it becomes harder to tun

Thank you posting that. I have always thought the same thing but I am far from an expert. It is nice to know that at least one of the most knowledgeable guys on 6.4s thinks the same way.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Really everyone makes these way too complicated. All you need to do is have it open and regulate BP wherever you want it set. Boost is irrelevant. The wastegate technically should be all ran off the exhaust pressure but in a diesel the soot causes problems. All your doing is relieving the pressure of one circuit. Once another separately acting pressure circuit is used to control it then it becomes harder to tun

Thank you posting that. I have always thought the same thing but I am far from an expert. It is nice to know that at least one of the most knowledgeable guys on 6.4s thinks the same way.

I agree!

RSK

Reaction score
With just the spring in it would begin to open at 10 or 12 lbs. We put unregulated yo the side and it seems to be working. It just rained enough to make the roads too wet to go test more and see if the adjustment works.

Sledpull, the guy that built my truck tuned his gate on his compounded Cummins with drive pressure reference like you mentioned and it works for him pretty well, he just uses an inline filter to help with the soot.

I didn't get a video, I'm hoping someone from the event did and will pop up, but the guy that built it said it cleaned up most of the smoke on the dyno.

As far as Lebanon, I need to make it to TS in one piece and a dyno day in Connecticut the weekend after. Hopefuly sometime this summer once I get some in the truck.

I will see you at the dyno day, might throw my truck on there again to see what it does at sea level, and with a non restrictive air filter.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Oh, even with the back pressure issues and me operating the truck (which I've never done before) I managed to put down 911 and maxed their torque reading at 1200, so who knows what that was.... and that was only about 60lbs of boost. On the street I see 80ish. All 3 Runs were over 900hp. 1st run spun the tires on the dyno.

I think with getting the gates dialed in and an experienced operator in the truck we can squeeze some more out of it. Also got my 2nd revision from Matt yesterday which I need to try out, probably makes around the same power though

depending on the dyno that might be pretty accurate numbers anyway, typically my truck runs about 10-15 psi low on the dyno for boost but always calculates to trap speed within 40 hp of dyno numbers.

Sounds like its a runner tho

B585Ford

Reaction score
I agree for the most part. But, if you have to use boost to help open it then you have way too much spring.

And using boost on the bottom port it changes the way it opens during different/partial load scenarios. The only way to tune a dual reference is at wot and it seems to be jumpy during normal driving.

Really everyone makes these way too complicated. All you need to do is have it open and regulate BP wherever you want it set. Boost is irrelevant. The wastegate technically should be all ran off the exhaust pressure but in a diesel the soot causes problems. All your doing is relieving the pressure of one circuit. Once another separately acting pressure circuit is used to control it then it becomes harder to tune.

To each their own.

The op can only make the gate open at a lower pressure two ways,

1-use boost to overcome spring pressure and boost to hold it closed.

2-take some spring pressure out and just use boost to hold it closed for fine adjustment.

Both ways work.

Morgan,
Have you had any success running a gate that is completely based off EBP? If so, did you run a filter? If so, do you sell the filter and how often will it need replaced?

sootie

Reaction score
mine is straight off the drivers side upipe. no issues so far. Morgan set up my gate and it works flawlessly.

open side port and regulated boost to the top.

B585Ford

Reaction score
mine is straight off the drivers side upipe. no issues so far. Morgan set up my gate and it works flawlessly.

open side port and regulated boost to the top.

Do you still have your crossover pipe?

sootie

Reaction score
Do you still have your crossover pipe?

pardon my ignorance-i'm not sure what the crossover pipe is, my wastegate v-bands onto where the flange use to be that bolts to the rear of the horizontal egr cooler.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Well, 16-18 hours one way to TS. After hitting traffic and getting a little water in my MAF sensor.... otherwise truck ran great the entire time. Met a lot of great guys. Can't wait for the next event!

00Powerstroke

Reaction score
Well, 16-18 hours one way to TS. After hitting traffic and getting a little water in my MAF sensor.... otherwise truck ran great the entire time. Met a lot of great guys. Can't wait for the next event!

I was bummed when I got home and realized I didn't get a chance to find your truck, I thought you had an awesome build and definitely would have liked to check it out and met you!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

78f100

Reaction score
Your truck is really nice. Lots of amazing fab work under the hood. It was nice meeting you. Even if it was because of one of my mechanics trying to race you on a tuned 6.0...lol. That thing is a sleeper on the outside.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Thank you. It was nice meeting you guys too. Your truck definitely moves for a lifted truck with mud tires lol. Hopefully we all can get together again at the next big event.

Super Diesel

Reaction score
Thank you. It was nice meeting you guys too. Your truck definitely moves for a lifted truck with mud tires lol. Hopefully we all can get together again at the next big event.

When's the next big event, and where? I'd love to see this thing in person! Congratulations on the numbers, that thing is sick. Love this build.

Latest posts

Members online