Possible cracked block?

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Actually, I just called Sunrise ford, theyre about a half hour drive from me, and they can get the Overhaul Kit for $1191. Im going for it.

rusty1161

Reaction score
Actually, I just called Sunrise ford, theyre about a half hour drive from me, and they can get the Overhaul Kit for $1191. Im going for it.

I'm pretty sure if you get a Ford rebuild kit, you'll get a Ford LPOP. Do you know your new bore size yet?

Rusty

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Think they might be out of round or something? He said nothing about it going to the machine shop either.

This is the first full motor rebuild ive ever done. Closest to this that ive done myself is just the top end on a Dodge 360LA motor. No machine work.

rusty1161

Reaction score
Think they might be out of round or something? He said nothing about it going to the machine shop either.

This is the first full motor rebuild ive ever done. Closest to this that ive done myself is just the top end on a Dodge 360LA motor. No machine work.

They need to measure the cylinders for wear and bore then hone as necessary. The less the better. Is he just gong to run a hone in each cylinder and run it that way?

Rusty

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
I haven't asked him about it to be honest. He just told me it needed rings, so we debated on doing just a piston kit, or a full overhaul kit. And we decided a full overhaul. No words were spoken on if he was going to bore, hone or anything. I assume he will do what is necessary, He is a professional after all? I have questioned that before though... Ill talk to him on monday, and see whats going on. And to tell him to return the kit he ordered.

PsdPullerJr

Reaction score
If you gotta do rings you should probably have the block bored and oversized pistons put in. Trying to seat new rings into a possibly distorted block may not gain you anything over what you currently have now.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Ok, so I'll talk to him and make sure he measures each bore. If they are distorted, then ill have him bore the block as well.

Thanks for all your help guys, i appreciate it!

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Turns out all of the bores were within spec (according to him). So I'm picking up the new overhaul kit at Sunrise Ford tomorrow morning to take it to him. Back on track, and hopefully no more bad news after this!

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Thanks rusty! I got the box home, and opened it up, theres all kinds of things in here! And holy **** these pistons are light as hell! I totally thought they were steel for some reason??

Now i just have to work on selling the parts ive ALREADY used... IE head gaskets, glow plugs, main/rod bearings, etc...

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Yeah, but aluminum melts at about 1250*. Steel doesn't melt until 2500*. Just the weight of them would be terrible...

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
So many different combinations.... They Cast iron block with steel pistons (like what was in my old 360LA ina 74 dodge), then cast iron block with aluminum pistons in the 7.3. Theres cast iron block, aluminum heads, and aluminum pistons in a lot of vehicles now. And then like in my Nissan titan theres aluminum block, aluminum heads, and aluminum pistons? Theres got to be some reasoning behind it all... I just dont know what lol.

I do know thermodynamics affects aluminum just like steel does. So i know aluminum does expand under heat, but then again, so does the cast iron block....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online