Resurgence of a F100

heavydoc

Reaction score
Will it really hold up? I was about to order a handful of different donut gaskets and try to find one that'd seal it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The silicone is a few bucks I think it is worth a shot.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I dont know if its the same stuff heavy doc is talking about, but copper silicone will hold up to high enough to seal 7.3 exhaust manifolds...

6speedsd

Reaction score
I looked up the high temp red...it's good to 650F. I'm going to give it a try. Would be a super simple way to seal it up if it'll work.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Thanks Jake. Been waiting almost impatiently to hear this thing run. It'll sound much better once the leaks are fixed. I hate exhaust leaks, and that's all my ears focus on....that tell tale ticking sound of an exhaust leak.

But at the moment I can just sit there and listen to it run. Ordered a trans filter and fluid earlier, so I'll change that later this week. Really hope that's all it is. Worries me with it trying (and failing) to engage at a high rpm....makes me think it's low pressure. After seeing the condition of the engine that came in the truck, in the back of my mind I sort of had this fear that it wasn't going to shift or something.

Shocking to me...NO ONE locally stocks a filter for a C4. None of the parts stores....every one of them says it's a special order part, which I just don't get. I know it's an old trans, but there are thousands of them still on the road. They all stock one for a C6 though.

Last edited:

6speedsd

Reaction score
There's a guy local I've been seeing on CL offering mild performance builds for like $650 I think. Not sure if that's converter included or not.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Door panels reassembled and installed.

83faba61c96b86de65058d21118a1251.jpg

Looks like the heater core has a hole in it too. Floorboard is wet under it.

8e3e2d902598d79863c2d5b6a93f993f.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Eh, I can deal with little issues like that. I just bypassed it and will deal with it at a later date. Not like I need heat this time of year anyways.

Dug through my catchall drawer on the tool box and found a tube of Ultra Copper high temp Permatex. Thought I remember seeing it. Put a good bit around the collectors where it was leaking. It's ugly as hell (orange) and hard to get in there and make it look good, but for now I just want it sealed. Going to let it sit up a day or 2 before I crank the truck again.

Been fixing all of dude's stupid wiring under the dash. He has wires tied in random places, and just dangling under there open ended. Can't get lights to the cluster for some reason. Well, the blinker arrows work, but when the lights are turned on, the only thing I get is passengers side blinker arrow lit up. Cut the key on and the fasten belts light comes on briefly, and the bulbs looked good...even though I didn't pull every single one.

Have to replace the wiper switch. Sometimes it'll work, sometimes not. It's 40yr old...it's to be expected. Looks like the water temp and fuel gauge both work, which is a bonus. Blower motor works, but speed selector switch does not.

And as an added bonus, I found a 3" Jegs tach under the seat! Not the prettiest thing, but it lights up and sweeps when you cycle the key, and I need a tach, so freebies are always good.

Last edited:

6speedsd

Reaction score
Digging through a box of junk he sent with the truck and found this...

459c2269c5ca7fd44f7b23b8b54e1563.jpg

The inside still looks new.

1a0f515b486961efc522da354ea3cb33.jpg

Good thing I finished the glove box install earlier. Now it has a place.

cb9bf0e3c04d8bcb110fb6ee60f05776.jpg

Pulled the vents and dash trim to give it a fresh coat of satin black.

a97d8761967d7dcfcfbd30b0007868c4.jpg

6speedsd

Reaction score
Yeah I've had a few days lately to devote to it. Rest of this week...not so much. Fluid and filter will be here maybe Wednesday, so Saturday I'll swap all that out and hope she shifts then. Interior only needs a little more. I need to re-upholster the seat in black, new vinyl for the floor, some heat mat, get a radio installed, and put the dash trim back together, sun visors, and maybe a horn kit for the Grant steering wheel that's on it. It's ugly with an open center as it is now.

psduser1

Reaction score
If you never open the book, the pages stay clean, lol.
Nice addition!
Don't know if they are the same, but I have a '79 grill and gage cluster, along with a few other random odds and ends, if you run into problems.

Last edited:

6speedsd

Reaction score
Seems like they'd be the same, but I can't say for sure. I appreciate the offer. I'll keep it in mind.

Got the wiper switch and blower motor switch ordered tonight. As well as a set of kick panels (was running speaker wiring from the doors and it dawned on me they were missing).

At some point I need to track down a pair of seat belt covers...or whatever they are technically called. Covers the seat belt retractor up behind your head. Found some on eBay but they are proud of those things.

I've been tossing around the idea of going back to the original 77 front end too....split grill and round lights. I've always been partial to the later style like I have, but while browsing the innerwebs looking for parts, I'm starting to like the earlier front end.

6speedsd

Reaction score
If you never open the book, the pages stay clean, lol.
Nice addition!
Don't know if they are the same, but I have a '79 grill and gage cluster, along with a few other random odds and ends, if you run into problems.

Just out of curiosity, what odds and ends would they be? Might be something I could use that I'm not thinking of.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
looking awesome man!! getting lots of stuff done..

ever thought of changing the rear diff fluid?

btw, I hate exhaust leaks too! especially on a gasser!

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass