Resurgence of a F100

gwunter

Reaction score
Just thinking.....if your trying to keep this era specific. Maybe apply a little trans repair from the same time era. Find some saw dust and put it in with the Trans fluid!! Lol

I'm joking here. I would never actually advise this, but unfortunately I've heard of it being done. I can't even remember who I heard it from. I think it was more of a situation where it's a bandaid to help sell a car that "has no problems". I hope the fluid and filter change works for you.

6speedsd

Reaction score
looking awesome man!! getting lots of stuff done..

ever thought of changing the rear diff fluid?

btw, I hate exhaust leaks too! especially on a gasser!

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

It's on my to do list before it's all said and done. Along with Ujoints, and some steering/suspension parts.

I'd have to look when I get back to the house, gonna be another week or two.

Sounds good. Don't go out of your way on my behalf. Like I said, I was just curious.

Just thinking.....if your trying to keep this era specific. Maybe apply a little trans repair from the same time era. Find some saw dust and put it in with the Trans fluid!! Lol

I'm joking here. I would never actually advise this, but unfortunately I've heard of it being done. I can't even remember who I heard it from. I think it was more of a situation where it's a bandaid to help sell a car that "has no problems". I hope the fluid and filter change works for you.

Part of buying a truck you can't physically drive I guess.
That sort of sounds like the "plastic bag" trick to roll mo coal. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Fluid and filter change is all she needed. Shifts perfect now. Actually sort of shifts hard, like maybe there's a kit in there. I need to fool with my kick down linkage as it tries to down shift every time you goose it. Just ran it up and down my deadend road a few times since I don't have tags/insurance on it yet. Steering leaves a lot to be desired....it wanders all over the place. Brakes are hard....possibly just the manual brake system.

Truck started flooding at idle and shutting off. Did some looking and this summit carb calls for no more than 7psi of fuel pressure or it'll flood. My stock mechanical pump is pushing almost 9, so maybe I need to look into a regulator.

And I tried to do a burnout....no bueno. Just bogged down. Oh well. Big girl sounds ***n insane when you mash on it. I thought my wife was taking video, but she was on facetime with her dad. Lol. So, no videos yet.

c667cc5d77a1736ad8ab1154fd5bd82c.jpg

sootie

Reaction score
Have you played with timing at all? That can affect the low end pretty substantially

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
what soothe said.. its vacuum advanced anyway but you can set it a little better and of course you need a regulator.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
I set it at 10 deg, vacuum advance unhooked, about 2000rpms and haven't messed with it since. What should I be trying? A little more?

Everything I found said 10-12 degrees is where I needed to be.

6speedsd

Reaction score
If I'm doing a regulator, then it's getting electric fuel too.

Sure did feel good to be behind the wheel of it though. Put the wife and both boys in there and went for a trip up the road. My 5yr old kept fussing because he couldn't see over the dash. Might drive it to church in the morning and let the wife follow me, just to get some miles on it. She claims we have a grace period with our insurance, so hopefully I don't plow over anyone.

heavydoc

Reaction score
If you're going to church and plow over someone I think that would be natural selection.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
If you're going to church and plow over someone I think that would be natural selection.

Lol, this is true.

Hey in tried your RTV trick. Sealed up the drivers side. Still had a small leak on passenger's side. Put a little more on it to sit up overnight. Maybe that'll seal it up too.

heavydoc

Reaction score
I have found if I cover the gasket/donut before install with the silicone then bolt it together it has sealed so far every time.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Been doing some research, and everything says 10-12 deg at 1000rpm is optimal on a SBF. I've been setting it at 2000rpms, so I might be off still. I might bump up to 12 and just see how it responds. I saw where one builder was saying they run all theirs at 16 initial...just seems high to me.

My cam already has 4 deg advance built into it, so should I take that into consideration?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
vacuum advanced distributors don't work that way. you should try it at factory spec then adjust the pump shot on the carb for responsiveness.. if you set it the way you have then you are basically keeping it at 12° through the entire rpm band.. hence the vacuum advanced. as rpm climbs, so does timing advance. can kinda think of it as a heui injector system only

my old 400m ran like dog chit when setting the advance like you are.. i put it at factory spec and hooked the vacuum line back up and messed with the carb and it ran lIke a raped ape.. I do want to say it was only at 8° at idle then

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Didn't really think about it that way. I'll check again this afternoon and see what it looks like.

bluedge8

Reaction score
i thought with vacuum advance you set initial without vacuum hooked up and then the vacuum does it's thing and advances through the rpm range. I think Lincoln is right with somewhere around 8*

6speedsd

Reaction score
See that's what I always thought. You unhook vacuum, plug it, then set initially. Once set, hook it back up and good to go.

The part I've been confused on is what rpm to set it initially. I've read at 2000, at 1000, and at idle. As far as what to set it at, I've seen a lot recommend 10-12 initial, then others claim 6 is what the shop manuals all called for on a stock engine. Thinking about it, I advanced it a little yesterday, and afterwards it got harder to start when hot, so maybe I'm need to back off a little.

bluedge8

Reaction score
advanced= hard to start and more top end power
retarded= easier to start and less power.

If it's hard to start you are too far advanced, by quite a bit.