Resurgence of a F100

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
advanced= hard to start and more top end power
retarded= easier to start and less power.

If it's hard to start you are too far advanced, by quite a bit.
exactly.. hence why the vacuum advance.. the ability to keep timing low for easy startups and have the advance for higher rpm..

leave the vacuum advance hooked up and set it to the desired timing. then try it. with your cam already having a few ° in it, you will just have to play with it to see where it runs the best.. once you get it starting like butter when hot, lock it down..

then have someone hold it at 3k rpm and check timing.. bet you will **** yourself.. it will be over 30°

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Yeah, 32-34 is the sweet spot I know. I'm going to back off it some and drive it a little. Should get tags/insurance on it this week, so maybe next weekend I can put some miles on it just out tooling around. Just can't make myself go father than my dead end road with no insurance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Reset the timing, and got brave and took it off my road and went the couple miles up the highway to the gas station to fill it up. Runs like a champ. It wanders at lower speeds, but tightens up about 70. LOL. I stood on it when I left the station, up to around 4000rpms. When it shifted into 3rd I looked down and was running 70 so I let out. It's a lot more peppy than I figured it would be. I need to pull the front tires and give the steering a looking over, make sure something isn't loose or worn out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

powerstroked08

Reaction score
I had found the nut that holds the steering wheel on, loose on mine when I first got it. Took a little while to figure that out. But just another spot to check.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I checked that before I ever got it running. He put a smaller grant steering wheel on it, and its missing the horn kit/cover, so that was easy to check. But it's definitely in the steering. You can feel it sort of dart to one side....sort of like a manual steering car with skinny tires. Just follows the road bad.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Well, she now has tags and insurance. I'm seriously considering driving it to work in the morning. Most of my drive is a 65mph 4 lane highway, so I'm not sure how confident I feel just yet.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Lol yeah yeah. Sometimes you guys are a bad influence.

I'll let you all know how she handles high speeds.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I just always think about the worst case. Tires, suspension parts, steering parts. Good part is my old man is on stand by in case something goes wrong. He can't leave for work until I get there anyways.

I need to keep an eye on my fuel gauge, and keep up with mileage somewhat. I ran a wire down the filler neck a couple weeks ago and it came up dry, so I put 5gal in it twice before I ever got it running. Gauge only showed 1/4 tank. Went to fill it up the other day, and it only took like 6gal, but now the gauge shows full. So either the float was sticking a little. Or the sender isn't accurate. It has a new tank....surely his ignorant azz put a new sender in it too.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Well, we survived the ride. No issues at all. Got some vibration at 65, but that's probably the tires. Temp gauge stopped working for some reason, and gas gauge dropped to half tank, so the sender is crap. My exhaust leak is back, but not terrible. Looks like i have a slight trans fluid leak somewhere. Kept getting a whiff of it, and the bottom of the pan is a little wet. I'll find that this weekend.

Rides surprisingly well for a 40yr old truck. You feel EVERYTHING though, that's for sure.

521turbo

Reaction score
If its leaking at the collector? Cut off the little flange that hold the 3 bolt flange on, and bump up the exhaust pipe to go over the collector about an 1 1/2". Then buy a stainless band clamp to go over it.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
See I told ya you would be fine! Once you get all the little crap sorted that thing will run forever problem free. My 79 was super reliable I can't wait to get it going again!

03_PSD

Reaction score
That's awesome! Like said above get all the little kinks ironed out and youll be good to go for many years.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Finally a pic out in the sunshine.
020fc27b87928e2a44c253809c3a2516.jpg

6speedsd

Reaction score
No, and hell no. You can't see chit with them. Passengers side you can't even get turned in enough to be functional. Drivers side will "work", but I hate them. Just haven't taken the time to get and install a new set on the doors.

Put nearly 100 miles on it today. Trans leak is getting worse. Right front brake started making a rubbing sound on the way home...sort of like it was down into the backing of the pad. Pulled the caliper when I got home and the pads are nearly new. Wondering if the calipers are sticking a little. I ran it out and compressed it back in a time or 2 just to be sure. These brakes suck ass though...like you have to stand on it to make them work well. Once you get on it, they grab, but god forbid I have to stop fast, because it'll never happen.

Worked on my exhaust leak a little more...might have finally got it lined up right....maybe. Didn't crank it back up to find out. I'll try to find the source of the tranny leak this weekend.

6speedsd

Reaction score
What all is involved in swapping to power brakes? I have calipers up front, drums in the back. It's not as simple as putting a booster on it...right?

heavydoc

Reaction score
I believe it is a booster and a proportioning valve, maybe different master cylinder.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online