Resurgence of a F100

Strokersace

Reaction score
Like junk...

Please please don't put black wheels on that pickup. It just wouldn't look right.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Lol. I just thought black/orange would look good. I eventually plan on maybe something like the old torque thrust style. They look good on that body style.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
The rims now don't look all that bad on the truck. But they are just in bad shape. Dude never took care of then so there's some rust, pitting, some of the black has peeled off. I tried to polish them a little a few weeks ago but it didn't do much.

gwunter

Reaction score
Maybe time for some round headlights?

20170518_192348_zpskguyd7cx.jpg

Who couldn't love this, lol.

I think the rims should stay if they can be cleaned up good.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Maybe time for some round headlights?

20170518_192348_zpskguyd7cx.jpg

Who couldn't love this, lol.

I think the rims should stay if they can be cleaned up good.

I've considered going back to the true 77 front end. But the only way I'd go round headlights is with the split grill too. Although, I've always been partial to the later style like mine is now....square lights and one piece grill.

I've had 2 different people in the past few weeks go "yay, it's Tennessee Vols orange". This keeps happening, and it'll be in the body shop getting a new color.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time deciding a direction to go with the truck. My initial plans were drop beams and 18's or 20's. But then I started getting into the nostalgic side of it, and liked how it sits. It then I started reading up on the crown Vic front suspension swap, and that got my wheels spinning again. But then.....I know how badass these thing look about 6" in the air on 35's, and my boys are All about monster trucks, and they'd go crazy over a lifted truck. However, google yet again changed my mind when I found out the front frame is different on 2wd vs 4wd, and the easiest way is finding either a donor swb 4x frame complete, or grafting on the front half of one. Screw all that. The 15" pacers and cooper cobras aren't looking so bad after all. LOL. Although, I don't know if I'll do the cobras again or not. I'll be in the market for tires here soon, as mine are showing signs of dry rot.

dsberman94

Reaction score
The last dude probably put them on there because they're fairly cheap. Also a softer compound. We use them up here for dirt track racing because they're soft.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Haven't driven it yet. Just sitting there idling it's fine, but if you goose the pedal a few times it still acts like it's trying to flood. I'll drive it tomorrow and see how it acts.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Haven't driven it yet. Just sitting there idling it's fine, but if you goose the pedal a few times it still acts like it's trying to flood. I'll drive it tomorrow and see how it acts.

something must have came loose.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I think I might have burnt up the electric choke when I had that short issue. You blip the pedal and the choke partially closes....part of my hesitation off idle and probably part of the reason it acts like it's over fueling. I get 12v key on at the power wire to the choke with it unhooked, but when I hook it up, I only get less than 1v at the terminal. Wondering if it's shorting on itself internally. I'm going to call Summit and run it by their tech dept.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Yeah that's the plan for the moment. I just ziptied the choke open so it can't rotate closed at all. Don't know why I got an electric choke anyways....it had such high reviews I figured it was fool proof.

Talked to Summit. They think it's just faulty and are sending me a new choke...free of charge. They really do have awesome customer service.

Last edited:

6speedsd

Reaction score
Locking the choke open took care of my off idle hesitation. Definitely more responsive at low speeds, but overall the truck still feels sluggish for some reason. It's ok off idle, but from there to about 3k rpms it just feels sluggish. I might need to drop timing a hair more. I think I dropped it to about 10 degrees last time I fooled with it, and figured that would be good. Unless I'm still getting too much fuel...I need to find out what size jets this carb comes with out of the box.

Another thought....I ran 2.5" pipe from the headers to H-pipe, into straight through round Magnaflow mufflers, and out in front of the tires (maybe 7ft of piping total?). Could I have too little back pressure? I started to do 2.25" pipe, but the mufflers I had were 2.5", so I went with that instead.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I'll eventually figure it out. I guess I just assumed this thing would run a little harder than it does. And fuel mileage...10-12 mpg out of a 2wd 302 is low. I got that in my old full sized bronco with a 351.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
backpressure isnt the issue. you could run open headers and not have an issue.

has it always been sluggish or is this something that just came up when choke went screwy?

Latest posts

Members online