Resurrecting a pile of crap.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Add the wastegate. You will need it. I have one on my 450.

Yeah but aren't you running a 73? I can't remember if u are running the stock VGT or stock valve train. I don't have EBP issues with the 71 on a stock valvetrain and stock VGT except on race tunes until above 2500 RPM. I assume this will be a tow pig so it won't be running rAce tunes.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Yeah but aren't you running a 73? I can't remember if u are running the stock VGT or stock valve train. I don't have EBP issues with the 71 on a stock valvetrain and stock VGT except on race tunes until above 2500 RPM. I assume this will be a tow pig so it won't be running rAce tunes.
Well go out jump in your 450 test the theory out yourself. My 450s engine is not stock internally. It makes lots of bp.

It doesnt matter if it has stock valve train or not. ( which its not) High bp, is high bp. Upgraded valvetrain only helps the engine deal with high bp. Its not suppose to be a alternative to controling it.

I havent test it with the 73/59 yet, but with only modifications made to the stock exhaust wheels. How much do you really think its going to change? My 450 tows on a 225 tune and lives on the 300 tune. I just also bought mcc to play with.

Last edited:

cfdeng7

Reaction score
This truck will certainly see a full out race tune and a heavy foot when not towing lol even though it's main duty will be a tow pig.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Only driving it to church on Sunday. lol I think It will be getting a gate. It will definitely have up pipes with the egr flange.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Well go out jump in your 450 test the theory out yourself. My 450s engine is not stock internally. It makes lots of bp.

It doesnt matter if it has stock valve train or not. ( which its not) High bp, is high bp. Upgraded valvetrain only helps the engine deal with high bp. Its not suppose to be a alternative to controling it.

I havent test it with the 73/59 yet, but with only modifications made to the stock exhaust wheels. How much do you really think its going to change? My 450 tows on a 225 tune and lives on the 300 tune. I just also bought mcc to play with.

I gross over 30k on pretty routine basis with my F350 when i am hot shotting. It is a SRW so I don't pull the RPMs on the interstate that a 450 will which does help. On GH's tow tune or on canned 250 tunes I run about 45 to 50 EBP when towing and that is pushing 40 PSI boost. I don't see the need for a WG with those numbers. Since the OP is going to be running a 59 VGT I suspect his EBP would be a little better than mine.
I don't tow on a 225 tune. I tow tow damn near stock HP levels when I tow. If the OP runs high enough HP tunes, a WG would probably help. Again I assumed this would be a tow pig and I personally don't want to run high HP tunes when towing heavy.

Last edited:

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I gross over 30k on pretty routine basis with my F350 when i am hot shotting. It is a SRW so I don't pull the RPMs on the interstate that a 450 will which does help. On GH's tow tune or on canned 250 tunes I run about 45 to 50 EBP when towing and that is pushing 40 PSI boost. I don't see the need for a WG with those numbers. Since the OP is going to be running a 59 VGT I suspect his EBP would be a little better than mine.
I don't tow on a 225 tune. I tow tow damn near stock HP levels when I tow. If the OP runs high enough HP tunes, a WG would probably help. Again I assumed this would be a tow pig and I personally don't want to run high HP tunes when towing heavy.

I surmise your engine internals are stock? Mine are not. I built this engine to be able to tow on hotter tunes and run cooler then on your " near stock tunes"

And it does it flawlessly. Set the cruise and forget theres a trailer behind you.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Yes, my internals are stock. I guess we leave as this....it depends on how you use it/drive it as to whether a WG is needed.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
I have reasonably close to his build list in my truck, with a 71/59, i dont have a wastegate, and i need one.

its not from a bp point, its i'm borderline over speeding the turbo's. in a mild tune.

in my hot tune, i already know i can over speed them.

long conversation with my builder about it, and with bp's not exceeding low 70's, i'm over speeding them based on the abnormal sounds it makes. sounds associated with, in his experience, over speeding turbo's.

Last edited: