Thinking single turbo, got a few questions

Reaction score
The reason most people see failures with box chargers is because they have 3 pad thrust bearings when they should have the upgraded 6 pad that borg Warner makes for certain company's and does not come in there box chargers...problem is everyone pushes these cheap S366 all over the Internet for 699 and don't understand that point

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Yep, that's the 6 pad bearing that comes in the fmw charger. Much better than the box stock thrust. Next best thing to a 360.

ford rules

Reaction score
I wish I saw this thread earlier, I just put a box 366 on my 6.0 and the thrust bearing is already going out of it after maybe 1000 miles.

It seams after reading this that the 360 thrust isn't even that much of an upgrade or am I misunderstanding?

How do the FMW series hold up? I assume the are more reliable than the box 66 with a 360 bearing?

Reaction score
I wish I saw this thread earlier, I just put a box 366 on my 6.0 and the thrust bearing is already going out of it after maybe 1000 miles.

It seams after reading this that the 360 thrust isn't even that much of an upgrade or am I misunderstanding?

How do the FMW series hold up? I assume the are more reliable than the box 66 with a 360 bearing?

I think you are misunderstanding. The fmw has a WEAKER thrust bearing than a 360. The 360 thrust is the strongest available. The fmw has a better thrust than a standard cast turbo but not as good as a 360.

ford rules

Reaction score
Just reread your comment and now I see you said the 6 pad is the next best to a 360 makes sense now. Thanks for the clarification!!

Does the 360 thrust require machining to install in place of the 270 thrust?

Last edited:

Cknox121

Reaction score
What's the difference between a divided housing vs. Undivided housing? Pros and cons?

**note, below is my personal opinion, you may or may not agree.

H&S kit utilizes a undivided housing from.

Midwest and MPD's kit utilizes a divided housing.

Me and the other member, cant recall his username, are running the undivided pedestal. For me, Im maxing out at 37PSI on a divided billet 66. IIRC he was running a undivided turbo, with a smaller exhaust turbine and was only seeing 25psi.

I know he recently installed the H&S turbo and seems extremely happy with it now. good boost, and great spool up. Other members have went with midwest and seem extremely pleased as well.

After talking with Zane, H&S's kit is not a "high performance" kit. meaning they are not trying to break hp records. They are simply offering a well rounded and mannered single kit for daily driving, towing, and street/strip use.

Midwest diesel and MPD kit, in my eyes are more "higher performance" kits. They have been proven using the divided housings and pedestals to make great power gains over stock turbos, while still being able to tow, daily drive, and take to street/strip. These kits, from my reading, are well mannered as well.

After reading pages and pages, I've come to the conclusion that TUNING plays the largest factor in how a single will handle/perform on the street.

Both are great kits, and both are capable. all in what you want out of the truck. Stay tuned... :popcorn:

CT9AIX

Reaction score
After reading pages and pages, I've come to the conclusion that TUNING plays the largest factor in how a single will handle/perform on the street.

Both are great kits, and both are capable. all in what you want out of the truck. Stay tuned... :popcorn:

nailed it. all the kits out there are well built and purposeful, its up to the end user to determine what exactly they want out of the single kit/truck and that will point them in the direction of which kit to buy.

Josh0817

Reaction score
Springville New York (30) miles south of Buffalo
I just did a single on my truck last week. I was in search of a single kit wasn't sure what was available. I had one of marylands original single kit a few years ago but heard it was not available any longer. I was on a time frame and need one within a few days of starting my search. I was going with the Midwest setup when Greg from Maryland told me that theirs was also ready to ship. So I immediately called him and he next day air the pedestal so I had it for the weekend. Friday morning it came at 10am and I was more than happy with it. My deciding factor was MPD kit was a t4 which is the charger I am running and Midwest I was told only had t3 available. I've ran adapters to accommodate t3-t4 on my dodge and it's another gasket to fail and looks hacked in my eyes. If you remember what mpds old kit looked like their new one setup blew that out of the water. Nicely machined stainless with some great welds. Fit perfectly how it should. Very pleased with it. Here's a picture after my cab came down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 77

Stroked777

Reaction score
I re-read this entire thread, there is a lot of info here from some great minds in the 6.4 performance world. Great for anyone to read if they are thinking the single route

HS-MotorsportsZane

Reaction score
**note, below is my personal opinion, you may or may not agree.

H&S kit utilizes a undivided housing from.

Midwest and MPD's kit utilizes a divided housing.

Me and the other member, cant recall his username, are running the undivided pedestal. For me, Im maxing out at 37PSI on a divided billet 66. IIRC he was running a undivided turbo, with a smaller exhaust turbine and was only seeing 25psi.

I know he recently installed the H&S turbo and seems extremely happy with it now. good boost, and great spool up. Other members have went with midwest and seem extremely pleased as well.

After talking with Zane, H&S's kit is not a "high performance" kit. meaning they are not trying to break hp records. They are simply offering a well rounded and mannered single kit for daily driving, towing, and street/strip use.

Midwest diesel and MPD kit, in my eyes are more "higher performance" kits. They have been proven using the divided housings and pedestals to make great power gains over stock turbos, while still being able to tow, daily drive, and take to street/strip. These kits, from my reading, are well mannered as well.

Well said..... It seem's like a few people have tried different turbo's/scenario's
on these engine's. The biggest complaint we were hearing from people when we started engineering this system years ago was that they liked way the single turbo ran on the truck, but they could not tow with them. We tried different combination's of turbocharger's and had similar results, sacrifice in one area and gain in the other. Like Cody said, at the end of the day we wanted something that offered a performance gain, was very tow able, and had awesome street manners. The reliability also had to be a key factor, we wanted someone to be able to bolt this system on and go 500k miles with no issues. It also had to be something that offered a performance gain, while having boost and back pressure numbers that were safe on a stock engine. The tuning also does help in almost every situation. Seem's like everyone has a unique truck, and or driving style. I have spent a lot of hours playing with MCC software on the 6.4 tuning the truck for the way I like it to drive, and what work's for me may not be for someone else. Again, like Cody said, I guess it all depend's on what you want out of your truck:)

Latest posts

Members online