Update on my rig

Dzchey21

Reaction score
It did make 85 psi a couple times but then I had up pipe issues so I backed that down. That was with some experimental gate and vane tuning that didn't work without up pipes having a cross over pipe

mike@haller's

Reaction score
I'm just curious and not trying to argue with anybody. But if all this info is correct how or why did shones and Mals trucks make more than JDs if JDs has more air than there's did. I'm just trying to understand

Both of they're trucks had bigger housings, with different atmosphere chargers, both had different vgt turbos, both had ported heads. And both have the gating dumping to atmosphere instead of into the hot pipe. When I had they're trucks dumping to the hot pipe I never could get great power out of them. I've also never been able to match the power of shones truck with mals. 1040 to only 994 on mals. Even I'm not totally certain why, shones just ran harder. But both of those trucks took hours upon hours of tuning and setup to get right. I agree there might be more to it than the charger on yours jd. But just cause those two trucks made certain numbers (even though the two of them aren't even the same). Doesn't mean putting a different set of chargers on, all be it big ones also, is going to net the same results.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
somebody just buy my 72vgt/118 combo and shut everybody here up ! LOL woulda been nasty had the oil pump not said by by on the first dyno pull at 1.7ms and 1030 rwhp .

jdgleason

Reaction score
Both of they're trucks had bigger housings, with different atmosphere chargers, both had different vgt turbos, both had ported heads. And both have the gating dumping to atmosphere instead of into the hot pipe. When I had they're trucks dumping to the hot pipe I never could get great power out of them. I've also never been able to match the power of shones truck with mals. 1040 to only 994 on mals. Even I'm not totally certain why, shones just ran harder. But both of those trucks took hours upon hours of tuning and setup to get right. I agree there might be more to it than the charger on yours jd. But just cause those two trucks made certain numbers (even though the two of them aren't even the same). Doesn't mean putting a different set of chargers on, all be it big ones also, is going to net the same results.

I'm still not worried about it being the same or more, but 200 horsepower low seems a little silly. And again - they've made similar power to Mal's and Shone's on Dyno Pro's dynojet. If I remember right there was a 6hp difference between the two dynos with your dads truck... Should be a fairly reasonable assumption that we aren't dealing with some huge misunderstanding there.

Like I said regardless of what I expected or wanted or whatever, it's quite a bit shy of what i believe it's capable of. I'm not bitching over 20 horse... In fact, I'm not bitching about my numbers at all, but I'm not going to accept it as an 800 horse truck and give up because it has a smaller turbine than whoever's ideal set up.

The only reason this is a discussion is because it was compared to Eriks.

mike@haller's

Reaction score
I'm still not worried about it being the same or more, but 200 horsepower low seems a little silly. And again - they've made similar power to Mal's and Shone's on Dyno Pro's dynojet. If I remember right there was a 6hp difference between the two dynos with your dads truck... Should be a fairly reasonable assumption that we aren't dealing with some huge misunderstanding there.

Like I said regardless of what I expected or wanted or whatever, it's quite a bit shy of what i believe it's capable of. I'm not bitching over 20 horse... In fact, I'm not bitching about my numbers at all, but I'm not going to accept it as an 800 horse truck and give up because it has a smaller turbine than whoever's ideal set up.

The only reason this is a discussion is because it was compared to Eriks.

It wasn't ideal in my head it was ideal because it worked. I think we're getting at the same thing. If you change that housing and change how your gating is done. I think you will see an increase. The first pull with mals max powers was 740hp. I came up with that ideal setup through hours of hard work. The reason I like eriks so much is I hit those numbers on his with a couple pulls on the dyno. With no gating and no messing around. It makes great numbers because it has the turbine flow to support it.

mike@haller's

Reaction score
And when tadd made 900 with those chargers he had alot larger injector and a very large cam in it that he was testing. So even that's not really comparable.

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
somebody just buy my 72vgt/118 combo and shut everybody here up ! LOL woulda been nasty had the oil pump not said by by on the first dyno pull at 1.7ms and 1030 rwhp .

Too bad you didn't get to see what it could do on 2.2pw, eventually someone will get curious and find out though...

mike@haller's

Reaction score
150 hp nozzles actually. Same as jd

Well I was wrong on that I guess. My point is two different setup engines with different tuning, netting a 50ish horse power difference doesn't seem to off to me. Mal and Shone's were 100% identical setups ran with the exact same mcc tuning by me. ran on the same dyno and made almost 50hp different.

jdgleason

Reaction score
It wasn't ideal in my head it was ideal because it worked. I think we're getting at the same thing. If you change that housing and change how your gating is done. I think you will see an increase. The first pull with mals max powers was 740hp. I came up with that ideal setup through hours of hard work. The reason I like eriks so much is I hit those numbers on his with a couple pulls on the dyno. With no gating and no messing around. It makes great numbers because it has the turbine flow to support it.

And that makes perfect sense to me! I just believe there's more in mine, and I'm not gonna change turbos as a first step.

madman1234509

Reaction score
Ugh I know how you feel jd. We have done countless hours of testing with my truck with the gates, testing boost and back pressure numbers. Testing back pressure numbers in the intermediate pipe, which are always 1:1 on my gt4718. I feel a need a larger turbine wheel on it which leads me to buying an 88mm gt55. From the research I've done the most efficient way to have a compound set up run is to have the atmosphere do 1/3 the work of the high pressure. Doing the math and figuring out what boost is in your efficiency range is a big thing as well. But I can't seem to get my set up to do that. Right now I'm seeing 70 total boost with 40 of it coming if out of the atmosphere. I'd be happier with like 80-85 total and like 30 out of the atmosphere...

All that matters is that you're happy with the truck and having fun with it. Smoking vets and sports cars is a huge plus. Time and testing will get you where you want.

jdgleason

Reaction score
I'm not saying change the turbo. I'm saying change the exhaust housing

Not an option for me in that configuration unfortunately

Ugh I know how you feel jd. We have done countless hours of testing with my truck with the gates, testing boost and back pressure numbers. Testing back pressure numbers in the intermediate pipe, which are always 1:1 on my gt4718. I feel a need a larger turbine wheel on it which leads me to buying an 88mm gt55. From the research I've done the most efficient way to have a compound set up run is to have the atmosphere do 1/3 the work of the high pressure. Doing the math and figuring out what boost is in your efficiency range is a big thing as well. But I can't seem to get my set up to do that. Right now I'm seeing 70 total boost with 40 of it coming if out of the atmosphere. I'd be happier with like 80-85 total and like 30 out of the atmosphere...

All that matters is that you're happy with the truck and having fun with it. Smoking vets and sports cars is a huge plus. Time and testing will get you where you want.

Ugh. Sounds like no fun lol. I haven't put really any time aside from Mike doing some tuning on it. But I know I've got a lot of time ahead of me to put in it.

What's your reasoning behind wanting to back the low pressure off? I'm looking at it a little differently... I was wanting to drive the atmosphere as hard as I could within reason looking for cfm

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I think my atmo is making 45 in the big tune. Glad I was driving and missed all this. Lol.

Dustin I am in town tomorrow early afternoon I figure. Not sure what we are doing but some of us are meeting in Fort Collins for dinner and I have a date with a nasty GTR

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I really think if a guy wanted to make big power with no compromise to driveabilty, this is the way to do it. For you guys that still wanna use it every day, pulling trailers, putting it to work and make good power. The vgt with a big remote mount atmosphere just works awesome. On the lowest setting with 1.1pw it makes 770hp, 1.4pw makes makes 860hp, and 1.8pw makes 990hp. All while keeping boost and bp 1 to 1 or less. And never going over 1400 degrees. Nice part about this setup is its really versatile. You can put what ever atmosphere you want in the fender for the power level you desire.

that is amazing!!

live life full throttle