Would you buy a 6.4 again?

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
6.4s arent like 6.0s... they are worse

When they break they break big. Almost always requiring a short block.

If you cut pistons ect you are looking at spending some money but it probably wont let you down. So buy it cheap as ***

NO joke... when a 6.4 lets go, they do so with little to no warning and they do it as quick as you can snap your fingers

with that said? I absolutely love them and currently own three of them :D

co04cobra

Reaction score
6.4s arent like 6.0s... they are worse

When they break they break big. Almost always requiring a short block.

If you cut pistons ect you are looking at spending some money but it probably wont let you down. So buy it cheap as ***

Sounds pretty much like what I tell other people when they ask.

Everybody "thought" 6.0s were expensive to fix. Until the 6.4 came along...

Stroked777

Reaction score
The only way I would own another 6.4 is if I have a tuner to delete it. Dpf and regen kill these trucks. I bought mine with 53k on it and tuned it right away, from the regen and egr, with just 53k on it, my intake mani was coked up and my rockers were completely shot at that time. Since I had it I put a stg 1 cam in it, bd egr delete, mini max with Gearhead tunes, upgraded valve springs, upgraded push rods, head studs, replaced a egt sensor, replaced the rockers, replaced a cracked up pipe and I think that's about it. The truck hasn't had a easy life, daily wot runs, a bunch of sled hooks, Bunch of drag passes, street races, and this is still on the stock trans with no signs of slippage. I been extremely happy with my 6.4 and would get another one if I can get rid of the emissions stuff. Bang for your buck they can make a good amount of power for relatively cheap, the pistons are hit or miss and nick detrays 6.4 was a quad turbo monster that I believe put down over 1300 on fuel only on a stock bottom end. If your lucky you can get a truck that will be problem free and you can make big power without touching the bottom end. I'm up to almost 111k miles on my truck now and if you were to ask me I would say it's been trouble free, it had never left me stranded and it's never been trailered home from the pulling track or the strip. Always drive home and would always start right up in the morning no matter how cold it got at night. I did go off the road once and half way into a frozen pond in the winter and it stayed runnin and kept me warm until the tow truck found me.

Last edited:

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
I bought my 6.4 bone stock all original everything with 240k. It would go into regen every 20-30 miles and trans would flare real bad over half throttle.

I rerouted the pcv, deleted the egr and dpf, flushed it real well, drain and filled the trans with a new filter, put good coolant in it. Tuned it with Eric's extreme street.

The trans stopped acting up, milage went from 10 to 16 mpg I daily the truck and even tow a camper and a gooseneck on occasion, it's been 20k miles and the truck has been great.

Only concern is I seem to have a ton of blowby, but I'm runnin her into the ground.

I may just be lucky but I love my 6.4. Also bought it for the right price, that's key IMO

ckrueg

Reaction score
I would, I bought mine last October with 270k on it and it had already been deleted and was set to a low power tune. It now has about 300k on it and a minimaxx running the tow setting on the hd300 tune. I had to replaced the starter and tentioner but that's it. It runs perfect and the tranny feels rock solid. I've used it everyday for work hauling masonry and occationally towing a 5 thousand pound trailer. I also do a wot pull most days and have done many boosted launches. I love the truck and will be getting a king ranch when this one breaks.

521turbo

Reaction score
Find a 6.7 with more miles, for the same price and never look back. Plus they have a lot nicer interior.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
I would never buy a 6.4 again unless the price point was great, it was a blue harley truck, or I had somethign else to drive.

They just arent reliable in comparison to others, and are too expensive when they go down. Mind you, they are animals, and can take abuse, my 2010 is proof of that.

devdiesel

Reaction score
As a DD no... Buy a 6.7 delete it and never look back, best decision I've made, don't get me wrong 6.4's are amazing trucks.. Once you put a new motor in it... As a second / toy truck 6.4's are a riot, just be prepared for a good chunk of downtime.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Pricey to fix... I bought mine with 160k on the clock, tuned and deleted it, 163k she dropped a lifter. They will put a smile on your face every time you stab the throttle but that all comes with a price tag when they grenade. I'd have looked a little harder at the one I bought I kinda made a impulse buy and got ***d for it.

RSK

Reaction score
I would buy another 6.4 as a work truck and plan to, when i get rid of my 7.3. I bought my truck with 88k on it 9 months ago and just 104, and quickly approaching 105k deleted it right after i bought it, needed the updated radiator hoses and it got a belt tensioner before i bought it oh and its a 2010 too. So it was driven on the highway a lot all over canada, and the up and down the east coast. According to the destinations in the nav. I plan to buy a 6.7 in the near future too once they come down a little in pricing, twin to my 6.4 actually. Platinum white/black leather crew cab loaded. Also mine is dragging around a trailer 5-6 days a week. Sometimes its only 3-4k trailer some days it 8-14k truck does just as well with either.

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
I would buy another 6.4 for sure. Mine has been great too me. I bought it with 132k miles on it and it had a clean oasis report. Deleted it the day I picked it up, and have had put another 74k miles on it in three years. During that time I had to put a radiator in it, and that's it. I'm super happy with how it's treated me. Tows like an animal, and runs great.

Jmuck

Reaction score
Even though I love my 6.7's and have zero reasons to ever not drive one, I'd buy another in a heart beat. Tuner and delete and drive the piss out of it. I bought an 08 as my first diesel back in 10, drove it 2K stock, started regening every time I drove it, so that **** got yanked off. Put 40K on it in a year and the only problem I ever had with it was I was idiot and turned the EGR off in the tune with the egr still on the truck. Fixed that and rolled on like thunder. I drove that truck like it was a ****in' rental and towed a lot with it. Truck is on its 2nd owner since traded it in and still kickin, and as far as I know, never been in the shop except for maintence.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online