Would you buy a 6.4 again?

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
HELL NO. it almost has me never wanting another diesel.. like others said, when things go wrong, its big with no warning. they are fun, make good power, but for a person with only one vehicle it is an awful option. If i didnt need a diesel to work, id have a gas truck. i think 6.0 or 6.7 is the only way to go for a daily driver

6.4strokin

Reaction score
I would buy a 6.4 over again. Got mine with 62k and sold it with 94K miles on it. Didn't give me any problems. My dad 6.4 work truck gets ran everyday and gets the piss beaten out of it. It has 170k miles and still going strong only problem was the a/c compressor went out other then that is been great. So its been at a shop 1 time out of 170k miles. Ill also add the first 100k miles were stock its now running a minimax on a tunes thats around 500 hp obviously deleted for the past 70k miles.

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
i guess its just weird who has issues, and how people classify "beating" on it and not. but im on my third motor. and i honestly dont run it that hard imo. this last motor was trashed, and 100% random. no signs, no symtoms. i lost a piston, bent a rod, junked a block, crank, all kinds of stuff. screw 6.4s LOL

2good2Btru

Reaction score
When I say I beat on my truck im referring to getting on it a couple times daily and about 100 passes at the track wide the f*** open. This was when it just had a programmer. And nothing wrong with it.

2good2Btru

Reaction score
Only stuff that went wrong with it I beleive to be self induced. Broke two hp fuel pumps. Both times they broke I allowed the fuel get to literally just fumes. :mad:
Tranny ran just fine with plenty of 12.6s and 12.7s with no problem until I changed the fluid in it. Then it slipped as soon as I left the shop

HOOV3R

Reaction score
i guess its just weird who has issues, and how people classify "beating" on it and not. but im on my third motor. and i honestly dont run it that hard imo. this last motor was trashed, and 100% random. no signs, no symtoms. i lost a piston, bent a rod, junked a block, crank, all kinds of stuff. screw 6.4s LOL

You keep your bad juju away!

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
57d4b3904b0cd4ca76b3e612d445b129.jpg

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
Only stuff that went wrong with it I beleive to be self induced. Broke two hp fuel pumps. Both times they broke I allowed the fuel get to literally just fumes. :mad:
Tranny ran just fine with plenty of 12.6s and 12.7s with no problem until I changed the fluid in it. Then it slipped as soon as I left the shop

you were running 12.6s on a tune only?... and how do you break a HPFP from abuse?

Eric@HoldersDiesel

2good2Btru

Reaction score
you were running 12.6s on a tune only?... and how do you break a HPFP from abuse?

Eric@HoldersDiesel
Yes I ran that.

And I never said it broke bc of abuse, I just stated the only things that went wrong with my truck and the fuel pump was probably due to letting it get very low on fuel.

uga33

Reaction score
I had an 09 and it was a blast to drive but there was always that feeling when you drove it that at any moment something was gonna go pop or boom. Everything that can tear up is expensive. Either go 6.0 or 6.7 for a daily and let the 6.4 play on the weekends.

brianb7.3

Reaction score
Bought mine new in January 2010 and tuned it at 3000 miles.....it has 105000 on it now and has been in the spartan 250 and 310 tune the whole time...100000 miles of that was without head studs...five hooks to a sled but I don't drive it like an idiot every day.......maybe I'm just insanely lucky.

farmin powerstroke

Reaction score
I would buy one again. I wouldn't sell the one I have for anything. The only reason I got a 6.7 was for the interior and wanted to try a 6.7. I've had trouble with my truck but I know it's my fault.

NY_Mott

Reaction score
I sure wish this thread was around when I got mine in December. .. it's a blast to drive; every person who rides in it is Impressed by it's power.
Besides maintenence the only issue i have had so far (nock on wood) Is the radiator and water pump.
After all the ups and downs I read around here including this thread I wonder if a 6.4 was a bad idea......
I really enjoy it though, can not deny it so I keep it.
Unless the right deal came along.

Rmartin-97

Reaction score
I'd buy another in a heart beat. My issues have all been due to a machine shop messing up my heads. But other than that it's been awsome and everyone knows I'm easy on mine lol.

6.4strokin

Reaction score
Yea it is weird some 6.4s just flat out run. I'm kinda surprised my dad's 6.4 has lasted 170k miles. He even hooked it to a sled a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Yea it is weird some 6.4s just flat out run. I'm kinda surprised my dad's 6.4 has lasted 170k miles. He even hooked it to a sled a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

some 6.0's flat out ran too . just a high likelyhood of failure. total bummer. I still have 2 of them , but don't hold them in the same regard as a 6.7 . way better platform and newer ammenities.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
6.4s with a tune are some of the funnest things to drive, Hook it to a trailer and i think my bone stock 6.7 does better.

Im sure getting rid of the regen helps but i see most of the people saying they love there 6.4 havent got very far over 100k miles, wait till 120k... lmao

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
My buddies 6.7 has tons of emissions related issues, I would say get one out of warranty and delete it if you want to go the 6.7 route.

Latest posts

Members online