01 7.3 keeps dying

no_pistons7

Reaction score
so last night heading to a buddys truck just shuts off no warning nothing was running fine, cant get it started it just cranks, waited for my buddy to show up and it fires right up no problem after sitting a bit then dies after a few mins...we checked voltage on batterys they were all over the place but it cranks fine and they didnt seem weak. i ended up getting it almost home and then it died again so i figured the cam sensor so i changed that out quickly and the issue is still there....what other things can i check at home before having it towed to a shop?. thanks

dsberman94

Reaction score
Replace ipr coil if you can get one from a friend to borrow just to diagnose. Mine did the same thing. It would die when it got warmed up, start when it cooled down. Die again when it go warm.

Arisley

Reaction score
Or, you ca get a can of air. When it dies, hold the can upside down and spray the IPR magnet, that spray gets real cold, don't spray your hand. See if it will fire up after that.

eng53ine

Reaction score
Might clean the ipr and check the pig tell as well. I'm guessing you've sprayed your hand before Arisley?

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Do you have access to a scan tool to pull codes? There will likely be a code stored for the problem, which will point you in the right direction.

no_pistons7

Reaction score
k so Icp sensor was bad that was changed, ran fine for a day and then wouldnt start at all again just crank.....i changed the fuel filter about a week prior to all this (i rarley drive the truck so it had almost no miles on the new filter) so i go to take the fuel filter off to check make sure everything is all good in the fuel bowl and when i undid the lid it made a pressurized sound like when u open a pop bottle, (not sure if this is normal as i never payed attention when ive changed them before but i dont remeber this??) anyways i checked everything looked fine put filter back in and it started right up. Could that pressurized noise be what was wrong/the filter? or just a fluke it started after that

no_pistons7

Reaction score
just went outside to start it, cranks but a bit slow heard a slight clicking under the dash i guess its not turning over quick enough to start, hooked charger up to it and it started...batterys reading 12.2 which seems fine...gunna pull them out and go get new ones under warranty.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
k so Icp sensor was bad that was changed, ran fine for a day and then wouldnt start at all again just crank.....i changed the fuel filter about a week prior to all this (i rarley drive the truck so it had almost no miles on the new filter) so i go to take the fuel filter off to check make sure everything is all good in the fuel bowl and when i undid the lid it made a pressurized sound like when u open a pop bottle, (not sure if this is normal as i never payed attention when ive changed them before but i dont remeber this??) anyways i checked everything looked fine put filter back in and it started right up. Could that pressurized noise be what was wrong/the filter? or just a fluke it started after that

You shouldn't get that pressurized sound if you have a stock fuel system. Have you touched your fuel pressure regulator? Ever check fuel pressure?

If it was the wrong filter, you would know. The 7.3L OBS filter is taller and will not fit.

just went outside to start it, cranks but a bit slow heard a slight clicking under the dash i guess its not turning over quick enough to start, hooked charger up to it and it started...batterys reading 12.2 which seems fine...gunna pull them out and go get new ones under warranty.

Yes, 12.2v is not good, assuming the GP's had already been turned off. Have the alternator bench tested.

Latest posts

Members online